8.1 RTM.. worth sticking with?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pbassjunk, Sep 17, 2013.

?

Just wondering what windows version everyone is going with?

Poll closed Sep 22, 2013.
  1. 8.1

66.0%
  2. 8.0

9.8%
  3. 7

24.2%
  1. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    I love all NT6 systems, because it have a very good security and a lot of features.

2. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    What you want to install ? Windows 8.0 or Windows 8.1 ? OK, you have to choose one of five versions: Core, CoreSingleLanguage, CoreCountrySpecific, Pro, Enterprise. But, if you are advanced user of computer, I recommend Enterprise.

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yah I don't get that either...
    It seems like a perfectly fine post to me, even if I get annoyed at the Win8.x haters.
    They kind-of remind me of the Tea Party Rednecks in the US...
    Seem like stubborn prejudiced jerks... :p
    But I'm sure I seem just as annoying to them :)

4. lehuybao2010

lehuybao2010 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2013
    I'd loved 8.0 Enterprise x64 :cool:

5. mutley

mutley MDL Novice

Aug 7, 2012
    I can't vote is it closed?

6. donsr

donsr MDL Member

Aug 24, 2013
    to all dear friends in my opinion telling am not a 8/8.1 hater ,why would you call me a hater .. do you agree in one thing when we install a applicatiopn in 8 .all the icons are (uninstall icon also) come in start tile that was so crowdy and irritated for users... 8.1 is faster but want to improve so wait

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    At the beginning I didn't really like the UI of Windows-8, but over the time I got used to it or found my ways around it and therefor I like Windows-8.1 as well and will stick with it.

:)

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I use win 8 as my only system and almost all client MS products (a) appreciate the hardware support compared with win 7 (b) thus there is no need to paint me as a MS basher.

There may be improvements in win 8.1 over 8 but in front-end, interface, and usability; I am at a loss to see any significant improvement over win 8. If win 8.1 is a upgrade over win 8, has it made life easier. Frankly, on the interface and prelim. usage, I did not find any great `wow' feature in win 8.1. I found a lot of wow features in win 7 over xp. I even found 8 to be an overall better experience than 7. But except for the start button which enables me to shutdown quickly, there is not much I can see visually.

I will definitely upgrade to win 8.1 in the next few weeks. And as I use it more, there will definitely be an appreciation of the `under the hood' improvements in win 8.1. But compared with 8; initial front-end packaging, look, ease of use is not significantly better in win 8.1 and in some cases, even worse.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Akko

Akko MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2009
    If security is your concern, avoid Windows at all.
    I am happy with SUSE btw, and it runs faster.

Otherwise Win 7 is the 2nd winner for me, and MS provides long-term updates for it.

10. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I'll stick with anything as long it works the way I like it So windows 8.1 is working for me and like the new features also !! :D

11. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    No, it's not. It closes on September 23.

12. eydee

eydee Guest

So once again, while "win8 haters" have problems with an OS, the other side has problems with people. Something is not right here. Yes, I know, you can't attack the other opinion with arguments, so you attack people instead. Do you need to justify yourself? It's a funny thing that none of us says anything like "we're tired of win8 lovers" or anything similar. We talk about the OS only. That's why we're here, as this is indeed the win8 section, not the win8 lovers' section or the MS as*lickers' section. See the logic behind this?

13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #33 endbase, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    Is it not so that this is a forum and there is freedom of speech for every body wrong or right is not the question just opinions

14. donsr

donsr MDL Member

Aug 24, 2013
    your very correct mate

15. Redmist77

Redmist77 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    I didn't like Windows 8 at first but now I love it. Cascading start menus and that old Win7 task manager feel primitive and clunky to me now. Not to mention the lightning boot times of Win8 that makes Win7 feel like Vista SP4. Anyone that clings to Windows 7 just hasn't bothered to spend the five minutes needed to learn the shortcuts and tricks.

Windows 8.1 has some minor improvements but it also currently has some Intel driver issues on Ultrabook tablets particularly in IE11 (which is needed for 3D accelerated touch browsing.) For that reason, I'm going to stick with 8 at least until after the official release and some of the issues have been fixed.

16. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    8 is the trimmed version of 7 with that so called "apps" (great idea m$!!, an apple/android wanna be but on desktop, wow, you ppl are pretty smart!). 8.1 is the crappy version of 8 where this so called "apps" stay in memory "FOREVER"! and yet another GREAT idea from micro$oft trying to emulate android (again and on desktop!!). No wonder when in the real world, not where the fanboys live their wet dreams, even XP has more market than 8!. Even, when 8 is preinstalled on every single machine sold.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Of course they all are own opinions.
    What is interesting is that the w8 lovers report posts made by w8 opponents quite more frequently than vice versa.
    W8 has no direct competitor on x86 / x64 desktops for gaming / corporate / homework-desktop use except its predecessors.
    And again new does not mean modern or even better. W7 is the new XP and will be it a long time.

W8 is no good OS. IF I should have no more support on w7 I switch completely to Linux. Except w9 will be a huge step forwards regarding real desktop use.

18. MrJyrks

MrJyrks MDL Novice

May 31, 2013
    #38 MrJyrks, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    They don't, see it for yourself... You got to drag and hold the app in the lower corner, the app flips and it's closed... Your information is incorrect...

From what aspect is it trying to "emulate" android? Do you even know what emulating means?

It's because windows 8/7 can't be ran on that old hardware, that's it.

Don't like 8.1? SKIP IT! I like it and I won't. I don't see what you're trying to accomplish here.

EDIT: Who the hell uses apps anyway? I rip em out as soon as I install windows :p

19. Cal-123

Cal-123 MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2011
    snipped from Yen's post:
    W8 is no good OS. IF I should have no more support on w7 I switch completely to Linux. Except w9 will be a huge step forwards regarding real desktop use. ​

This is absolutely the best thought as yet devoted to the outcome of the present new 'outlook' by the manufactures...and that is that the Desktop is dead! Yen hit it on the head! When they snap that a business with 2000 stations can not be operated with touch screen tablets only.

20. fkar

fkar MDL Recognized Advisor

Nov 3, 2012
    As many members discussed here,
    Windows 8 is a great $p¥ of Microsoft!