A little help modifying HP Bios please?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by MaXKilleR, Jul 23, 2007.

1. MaXKilleR

MaXKilleR MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2007
    #1 MaXKilleR, Jul 23, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
    Well, I got the P5LP-LE Leonite motherboard (HP remake of the ASUS P5LD2-VM DH).

I know everyone one with an ASUS motherboard in an hp setup would like to "unlock" their bios for all the great features asus provides (especially overclocking). HP will never support or help anyone do that since thats not part of their service, but I got an even worse problem. I have an HP Pavilion a1740n desktop which is a certified Viiv PC. HP provides support for it, BUT since its is quite hard to install windows XP on this computer (CD and HDD are sata and the drive is in RAID mode) they dont provide any support for XP. I had to install an IDE HDD and CD to install it without errors.

Now to be an Intel Viiv certified PC, a desktop must support ALL Viiv's features. One of which is the Intel Quick Resume Technology feature (Away mode), which is only support for windows xp MCE 2005 rollup 2. All that feature is, is a driver that utalizes the ACPI function of the motherboard. The idiots at HP did not turn on that feature and didnt give an option to do so in the bios either.

I contacted HP several times and finally was told that my case will be looked at by higher officials (after I installed XP MCE and the Quick Resume driver didnt want to install), since of course they can get really screwed for falsifying information like claiming that this desktop is Viiv certified.

Although that kind-of makes me feel a little better, I dont have time to wait until they move their asses. I think the best way to tackle this problem is to modify the BIOS myself.

Someone posted a bios release for my motherboard on this forum (with the same intentions as me), which is quite weird because no HP technician could find it's origin (it is not posted in any support page for desktops with this motherboard yet it is classified as CRUCIAL UPDATE).
    LINK: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software8/COL18994/pv-49199-1/sp26918.exe

It is an Award - Phoenix bios, but the Phoenix editor did not allow me to open the ROM. the Award Bios editor did open it, but all the features were unknown so I could not really do anything with that.

What I wish to know is if anyone knows how to edit this bios.

Yen, I think you said that you could edit it to add SLIC...could you tell me how you could do this?

Any information could be very helpful so please tell me if you have an idea or know what to do in my case.

Thank you for your time!

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Award bioses to open with cbrom 1.82. You can extract all modules you want and edit with hexeditor. Thats pure hex code
    Btw: The first idea comming in my mind was not to edit hp bios but make HP board to flash with ASUS P5LD2-VM DH bios

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MaXKilleR

MaXKilleR MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2007
    That was my initial idea as well, but I have no way of flashing an AMI bios over an Award-Phoenix Bios. Or more importantly, backup the bios and flash it from dos, incase something bad happends.

Do you know a way to do either of those?

I tried flashing the rom using the asus dos program and through the HP windows program, but both failed (unrecognized bios structure and not compatible update).

4. JTay

JTay MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2007
    #4 JTay, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Why not just slipstream the Intel XP drivers directly into a copy of the XP install CD (along with the latest service pack). I have the same machine and that's what I plan on doing. A person on another forum posted in the same thread as you has assembled all the necessary drivers. They're all available at Intel. See ASUS P5LP-LE drivers [RESOLVED] at tech support forum. ASUS also has the SATA drivers here
    It seems to me this should work without the need for installing an IDE drive. Though I haven't tried it. A good test would be to run UBCD for windows or some other BartPE boot disk to see if it can boot xp. If it does, then slipstreaming the XP install CD should work just fine.

Thanks, I'll bug them about that as well. I want to have both XP and Vista (and probably versions of Linux) co-existing on the machine.

That bios IS for Vista, doesn't it already have SLIC? It seems to me I read that here....check out this thread Requests For Oem Bios Mods Here!!!! page 91 particularly the reply by China4Ever

5. JTay

JTay MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2007
    That's really dangerous. I read where someone tried that and trashed the bios. The problem is that the P5LP-LE is not the same as the retail ASUS board. It may be based on it, but it's completely proprietary and is made exclusively for HP. It may have components missing and be a completely different configuration.

If unlocking the MB is accomplished, it's likely it will be by modding the native bios. That seems to be the way to go.

6. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    #6 deathdr0ne, Aug 14, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2007
    Well I "unlocked" some features for my hp bios releases using modbin and cbrom32 because 1.x wouldn't create a error free bios file. I have 3.13 and 3.14 modded for the compaq sr1750nx and a few other models. I could take a look at your bios I guess.

7. deathdr0ne

deathdr0ne MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2007
    well some bad news so far i can't open your bios in modbin....which is what I use to unhide the features. If anyone knows of a newer version of mobin6 then the one that is on rebelshaven please let me know.