A N00b question please???

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chappatti, May 25, 2009.

1. chappatti

chappatti MDL Novice

May 25, 2009
    Hi to all the gurus...It is amazing what you guys can get done!

I do not know if this question belongs here but chalk it down to n00b error!!! Thanks.

Is it possible to unlock bios features in Phoenix BIOS that are supposedly locked in vista systems? For e.g the hard drive has no ability to move to AHCI from SATA and stuff like that...

Is it true that phoenix is locking bioses to windows vista systems? My laptop has a extremely restricted bios screen with most options that award/ami allow not present at all...does this mean they have not turned them 'on" or they do not exist ata ll in the bios code.

I want to install linux, and need to turn drive to AHCI versus SATA since ubintu does not see it>??????????

Any comments greatly appreciated....

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You cannot make a general statement.

Phoenix, Ami (and Award) are different kind of bioses. They got different modular structures.
    But the OEM decide what they want to provide. They have different versions of the same bios. To save time they are locking features at the cheaper models, yes.
    But there are bioses which don't have the feature at all......

I don't know how to unlock features at Phoenix bioses. About Phoenix bioses you find not much informations, about Award however very much.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chappatti

chappatti MDL Novice

May 25, 2009
    Thanks, Master Yen.

Thank you so much for your answer. Much appreciated.

I think I am stuck....I feel strongly I should sell my laptop !!!!!!!!!