A new tool for ASUS AMI bioses with FC module to remove SLP2.0 revision

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Yen, Jul 25, 2007.

1. zyzynski

zyzynski MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2007
    #21 zyzynski, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
    Hi ,
    Concerning AFUDOS : I flashed the bios of my P5K ES board with the modded biosfile I found somewhere at this forum. I used the version of AFUDOS from the support CD. When I type just afudos at the A: prompt I get the message : usage : afudos /i<ROM filename> [/o <save ROM filename>] . No /pbnc /n switches mentioned. So I used Afudos /ixxxx.rom and everything went alright. Vista activated.
    I have a question however : If there is an upgrade of the bios , can I use the original new file or need it to be modded again ?

2. motaba

motaba MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2007
    from what i understand the command "Afudos /ixxxx.rom " is a basic flash and does not / may not flash all parts of the bios, by adding in the extra " /pbnc /n" command you get more of a thorough flash.

as for flashing over the old modded bios with a new unmodded bios - Ive read that if you flash with afudos from pure DOS, its wipes out all parts of the old bios and thus the slic table...............so therefore you would have to flash with your new modded bios.............

but..............i get the impression that if you do a simple flash with something like asus update (not recommended at all) which uses the basic commands then your fc module may be left untouched and thus preserving the slic table

i know theres alot of "maybes" in there but Im hoping someone will set me straight.

3. zyzynski

zyzynski MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2007
    Still confused about that FC module.
    What I did : I extracted with MMtool both the 1B and FC modules from the original 0401 ROMfile and the modded ROMfile. Then I compared with Winhex.
    The FC modules were unchanged. In the 1B module of the modfile the SLIC data was added. So probably if I use AFUDOS without the /pbnc /n switches , it will overwrite also the 1B module and the SLIC info will be lost and thus no more activation ? How can I make that the SLIC will be put in the FC module , so that there will be no lost of SLIC by the next upgrade ?

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    "Your" mod is a superstatic v3 mod!

The requirement : The original bios must have got a FC module already.

This tool provided here does the right mod, it’s called FC mod. Alternatively you can make such a mod manually. There is a chance that the activation will persist after a bios update using Asusupdate, but not 100% assured.

Yen

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. cpthk

cpthk MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2008
    #25 cpthk, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
    Hi Yen:

I have three questions:
    1. So why would asus trying to prevent SLIC to work? Were they forced by Microsoft?

2. Also, after I opened mmtool, how do I check whether my BIOS have FC module? Do I just check is there one called FC module under NAME column?

3. So you are saying since SLIC is hidden in the FC module, so basically this tool is to remove the FC module restriction, and the SLIC information is naturally contain in the BIOS ROM, correct? And what's the reason to use AFUDOS, not to use asus update?

Thanks.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Not that I remember. But to fill up the empty FC module WAS the first mod. method for AMI (Asus) bioses.
    So Asus revised the SLP2.0 rule.

Yes

3. The exchange of “31” to “21” removes the configuration lock. This means the SLIC will be mapped to memory at Acpi namespace, no matter if the SLIC data is at 1B or at a separate FC module.

The SLIC data found at FC module is not hidden, it’s either not there (no FC module at all), or consists of 10h bytes only, or is full of zero bytes. A ‘full’ FC module doesn’t contain the SLIC header, public key and marker data only. To introduce / complete the FC module the special afudos command (Afudos /ixxxx.rom /pbnc /n) is the first choice. Asus update didn’t work that time……

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. omek

omek MDL Junior Member

Oct 25, 2007
    when i try to use this it tells me can't extract 1b module. any ideas?
    asus pq5-e, the bios i need modded are not orignal asus, they are modded for more memory/cpu support.

8. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    #28 andyp, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
    I am trying to understand this... a few questions if I may.

I have modded a couple of Asus bioses (P5K 1201, Maximus 2 Formula 1801). Both have a 16 byte FC module (filled with FFh). Both have a SLIC string someplace after the RSDT/XSDT tables. NONE have the 31h->21h config lock string. BOTH work doing a simple manual static v3 mod.

I have also looked at the P5B 1604 BIOS. It also has a 16 byte FFh FC module, a SLIC string in the 1B module but it also HAS the config lock string. Is it the presence of this string that means the FC method is needed.

1) Would the FC method (ie. altering the dummy SLIC table rather than inserting one at 200h before AMIBIOS) work on the above p5k/m2f bioses?
    2) Does the manual v3 method (SLIC at 200h before AMIBIOS string) work or not work in a BIOS with the config lock string?
    3) Are there any BIOSes where the FC module actually contains something other than 16 bytes of FFh.
    4) Are there any BIOSes with NO FC module that have the config lock string?

Thanks,
    Andy

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #29 Yen, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  10. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    #30 andyp, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #31 Yen, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
    (OP)
    1) The ASUS-FC I've got from a Chinese forum. Others I did myself. AMI FC modifications were the first AMI mods that worked. That time there was no SSvx method developed.

If you know the structure of a SLIC and if you've seen before another 'full' OEM FC module, it's no problem.
    Ignore the SLIC header. Just get the public key (RSA field, length always 9Ch) and the public marker (length always B6h) of a SLIC and add 2 FFh bytes to match AMI module specification.

2) No, but there are bioses which are sensitive. You must remain the compressed size of the modules. MSI, yes and one other I can't remember right now. They all got NO FC module!

12. digitech

digitech MDL Member

Jun 25, 2007
    What executable are you supposed to use with this tool?

Attached Files:

• mod.gif
      mod.gif
      File size:
      7.3 KB
      Views:
  13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The one with the chip icon, ASUSAMI_SLICFIX.exe. The other one is AMIMMWIN to be used to manipulate and to repleace the modules. It's an official tool.

If error message: 'no config lock found' or something like that occurs, it won't work, since the tool patches the first generation of config. lock only.

14. digitech

digitech MDL Member

Jun 25, 2007
    #34 digitech, Dec 17, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
    Yes I received "Can't find Configure Lock in 1B module" message. Does that mean I need to use the v3 tool to mod my BIOS or can I still use Method 1 - Easy Auto Method?

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  16. Paul64

Paul64 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2007
    i have an asus m2n68-am with fc and i also got the "Can't find Configure Lock in 1B module" message

the easy auto method V3 tool modded it ok but when i flashed the bios with afudos and /pbnc /n commands the next time it became unbootable (when you power it on it switches off after 3 seconds)

fortunately i hot swapped the bios chip and flashed it back to original and now works again

is there any special method i should use in flashing the modded bios from the v3 tool?

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Flash to official bios..then flash the modded version. You can flash with no switches..

18. Paul64

Paul64 MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2007
    that worked thanx

19. cyf

cyf MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2012
    Hi, A complete noob so please bear with me. Will this work with UEFI firmware? I have an Asus UX21A Zenbook.

20. lylic

lylic MDL Novice

May 14, 2014
    can it modify ASus notebook