Acer 1690 slic bios issue...

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by test, Jan 22, 2008.

1. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    #1 test, Jan 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  2. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    I would say - obviously something in the bios mod is not compatible with the XP.

I gotta admit that I never install/run XP with the activation code already inside. One might say that I'm not masochist enought? :p

I simply preffer not to have all these kinds of troubles. I would say - flash the original bios back and use XP w/o the activation stuff. Or do you want your bios to be Vista-ready? It is Vista really worth it? It give me only problems these few times I encouner it.

3. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    The problem is that I would like to use dual boot XP/Vista but if I have to flash the bios every time I change of OS...
    :)

4. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    Ok, I'm trying to modify bios by myself but I have two questions.

1-How do you determine the number of bytes to leave as they are after RSDT?
    I know I have to insert "ACRSYSACRPRDCT" but I can't find where it has to be exactly.

2-I have to add the ACPIX.ROM file but what is the best way to insert it? I mean, just add it as table number 5 and leave the others as they are or at number 1 and rename all the other tables?

Any help is welcome...

5. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    Nobody can help?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #6 Yen, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
    1-
    Search for the first RSDT string. (found at BIOSCOD1.ROM)

Right after you'll find the PTLDT string. Insert ACRSYSACRPRDCT by overwriting the 'P' of that string! (Second RSDT string will be overwritten as well!)
    Do not change the size of the modules!!!!

2-
    Insert the SLIC table as ACPI5.ROM (next higher ACPI table number by inserting it at ROM.SCR 'ACPI ACPI5.ROM -X') Append it right after the ACPI4 line

Make sure you have the corrected Acer SLIC (at its offset 9 there must be 47h as checksum byte)

This is the usual way.

If the xp issue isn't gone you may rename the original acpi4 table to acpi5 and insert the SLIC as acpi4. Use the -X command to insert it as uncompressed!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    Thanks a lot Yen, I will try it and let you know if everything is ok.

8. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    :( it doesn't solve the problem: XP won't start...
    Any other idea?

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    This is a very rare issue.

I'd try to rename the original ACPI4.ROM to ACPI5.ROM and insert SLIC as ACPI4.ROM.
    Have a look at ROM.SCR to see if the original ACPI4.ROM uses the -X switch. If yes, keep it (use it at ACPI5 to remain it!!!)

Don't change a uncompressed original module to a compressed one! Make sure not to loose a original module! It may end up fatal. (It must be 5 together, always!!!)

Additionally you may ask Fzeven for advice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    I tried changing ACPI4 to ACPI5 but I still have the same issue.
    I will PM Fzeven to see if he has other ideas.

11. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    think you have confused peeps here what you are looking for is bios mod for slic and slp i,e, vista and xp. and you don't have that, please let us know if that is the problem.:))

12. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    No, I don't need SLP, my XP is SP2 corporate so no need of SLP. I just need SLIC for Vista.

13. test

test MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    Fzeven doesn't answer my PM messages. Does anyone has an idea on how I could solve my problem?