Acer Aspire 5672 SLIC 2.1 (tested & working!)

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Gradius, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Gradius

Gradius MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
  2. wimme

wimme MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Wow, I'm totally speechless now... :eek:

My next question is then: Would it be possible to run a 64-bit OS on this notebook after upgrading the processor? If it does it would be very interesting to upgrade.

I'm also interested in virtualization (Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 etc.), but I don't think Intel VT is going to work, because also the BIOS needs to support this.

3. Gradius

Gradius MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I would says YES, but the only problem left would be the BIOS, I dunno if they included 64-bit MEM addressing on BIOS, so far I know this notebook is limited until 4GB of RAM (source: Service Manual). For VT, yep, I doubt they included VT capacity on BIOS code, besides, for intensive processor needs, I always use a desktop (I have a P5E with Q9450 @ 3.6GHz), I use notebook because they are mobile and practical (specially on a trip), but will never to be like a real desktop.

Again for 64-bit, the only way to know for sure is testing, and I cannot do that, not on this year, I'm planning to buy T7600 only in 2010, when I'll be back to Brasil (currently I'm on Chile).

4. gdl

gdl MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Tested the new Acer Certificate with BIOS SLIC 2.1 and works fine for both:

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
    Windows 7 Ultimate RTM 32 bits

Installed on cmd window with slmgr -ilc c:\ACER.XRM-MS

Thanks.

5. Longstone

Longstone MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
  6. wimme

wimme MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Best thing to do is to install XP first and then Vista.

Drivers released by nVidia are only for desktop computers. You will find the drivers you need on the website of your laptop manufacturer. If you don't find them, or when these drivers are old, then use mobility modder to mod the drivers from nVidia so you can use them on a laptop.

Btw, this is a bit off-topic...

7. Longstone

Longstone MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    #88 Longstone, Sep 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  8. jorik

jorik MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    @ Gradius,

I know this topic is quite old, but I came across this post of yours (in this topic):
    forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/7176-Acer-Aspire-5672-SLIC-2.1-(tested-amp-working!)?p=99021#post99021

My Aspire went 'dead' after flashing with wrongly edited BIOS firmware.....
    my question to you: do you still have that ready-to-go image you created?
    Or else where I can find the correct Phoenix tool disk?
    Because the links in your post don't work anymore... :-(
    I already bought an USB floppy disk.

Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate it!!

Jorik

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. jorik

jorik MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks Yen! It worked like a charm :D

Here's what I did:
    1. format a floppy drive in Windows (not quick format)
    2. run CRISDISK.BAT and follow the instructions (make sure you got the right BIOS.WPH file in the same folder)
    3. get the battery out of the laptop (not sure if this is necessary but it only takes 2 secs) - I didn't need to remove the HDD, unlike Gradius said!
    4. run the floppy on a USB floppy drive, using Fn+Esc before turning the power on (you can release those keys when you hear floppydisk activity)
    5. wait for 1-3 minutes.
    6. The floppy disk becomes quiet, and the laptop doesn't reboot... did it fail? No, just turn off the power and turn it on again.
    The Acer bios screen appears again, everything boots fine!

Btw, I really would like to try out that SLIC 2.1 bios, but it's not available for download anymore... could anyone re-upload this?

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'll make a mod for you---stay tuned next day(s)....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. jorik

jorik MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    That would be awesome, Yen! :D

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  14. jorik

jorik MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks Yen!! Will try it out as soon as I got time. I will report how it went ;-)

15. jorik

jorik MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    #96 jorik, Dec 2, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    Didn't work...... can't boot now.
    The strange thing is; the recovery process doesn't work anymore :S
    It doesn't look for my Floppy disk, only for a CD-Rom.

Any ideas how to fix this situation?

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Really?

That's strange. I assume you are trying the absolute same crisis floppy? assuming no cd disk is inserted...
    Have you removed the battery for a while?
    When flashing the mod the bbl must be untouched, since you didn't use the /BBL command.
    What about exactly using the method gradius used?
    Can you unplug CD rom?

17. jorik

jorik MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks for your suggestions Yen, but it still doesn't work...

Yes, I am using the exact same crisis floppy I used succesfully before... No cd is inserted.

Yeah, it's already out for quite some hours.

What is BBL?

I tried this, creating a new floppy disk as well, and removing the HDD. But whatever I try, the USB floppy drive doesn't have reading activity.

Don't think so, there are no screws to open it up (so it's not removable like the HDD, processor etc)

Maybe I could buy a new mod chip? Or isn't that an option (especially with a laptop this old)

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'm speechless and sorry. Never had this before. The mod is fine, recovery worked before and now nothing...:(

I'm sure you have tried another USB port as well..
    Did the flash process hang somewhere?
    Is your USB floppy drive still working..lol..tested at another PC?

/BBL command updates the boot block..there are data for recovery. They must be untouched and intact....since /BBL was not applied.

CD rom is accessed..hmmm.....what about to insert a cd disk...maybe it skips reading and tries to read from usb floppy then......or insert a bootable disk

Perhaps there is a way to create a crisis CD? AFAIK Nero can burn bootable floppy images on CD

I guess the EEPROM chip is soldered..then you would need someone who can desolder it for a replacement.
    Another question: What caused the first brick?

19. jorik

jorik MDL Novice

Nov 23, 2010
    Thanks again for your suggestions Yen.

Well....I probably flashed it in a wrong way.
    The 1st brick was caused by flashing an edited BIOS version using Winphlash in Windows (it crashed while flashing). Recovery went OK.
    Now I wanted to flash it using a bootable DOS floppy, but I somehow didn't manage to get the BIOS file on it.
    So I decided to do it the Crisis way, with Fn+Esc. Apparently that wasn't a good idea.....

Yes, I did try it on other USB ports. I also tested the USB floppy drive on other PC's, it still works fine.

I tried a bootable crisis CD but that doesn't work either. I also tried inserting just a random CD but it doesn't skip to reading from floppy.

I guess the EEPROM is damaged? Do you think it's possible to replace the BIOS chip with a new one? (through badflash.com for example)

Btw, I just opened up my laptop but can't see the chip on my motherboard. It must be hidden somewhere...

Maybe I'll just have to accept my laptop is dead? :O