Acer Aspire A515-51G Corrupted BIOS - Urgent

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by LeandroFernandesPT, May 31, 2021.

1. LeandroFernandesPT

LeandroFernandesPT MDL Novice

May 30, 2021
    Hello everyone, I need help fixing my corrupted bios.

My laptop was having serious thermal shutdown problems where it would shutdown around 60º everytime, I figured it should be a software problem, as the laptop has barely 3 years of life and during those years it was cleaned thoroughly and the thermal paste swapped, but even with a clean install of windows and the manufactor's drivers the problem didn't seem to go away. I decided to downgrade my bios to an early version hoping that would fix the issue, unfortunatly, downgrading the bios completly bricked my laptop. I ask for anyone that has any knowledge on corrupted bios to help me. Unfortunatly, the repair shops here (rural Portugal) are not "qualified" enough for such a repair and all tell me to replace the motherboard, which would cost around 200 euros. I know my way around computers enough to know this is fixable (but clearly not enough to avoid this issue), and I can try to fix it with some help. For some context, the bios was flashed, the laptop automaticaly restarted, it installed the new bios to 100%, restarted again and nothing else happened after that. The computer right now turns on, the fan ramps up but nothing else happens, just black screen.

I already tried: reseating ram, removing cmos battery, laptop battery and power and leaving it out for some time, and putting the bios files in a usb stick while pressing FN+ESC.

I am willing to paypal 25 euros (30 USD) or more if really needed to anyone who helps me fix it.

I will be posting this topic on multiple tech websites for the best chances at fixing the issue. This is my main "computer" and I need it to end my high-school programming course's final project.

Here are the specifications of the device and the bios files:

Acer Aspire 5 - A515-51G-56UG

CPU- i5-8250u

RAM- 8GB DDR4

SSD- 256GB M.2

GPU- Geforce Mx130

Motherboard- C5V01 LA-E892P

(I could not post links has for a rule, for bios files please ask, but they are available at the acer support website)

2. Asparagus Lover

Asparagus Lover MDL Senior Member

May 17, 2019
    Hi! This is very strange, because BIOS recovery is a simple operation. Perhaps they have personal reasons.
    I hope disassembling the laptop again will not be a challenge for you. Better save your euros and buy some hardware SPI programmer and pomona clip for it (all for around $10). It is not necessary to order this tool online, even in my small town there is 1 such radio engineering shop.