All about UEFI. Both threads are merged. Beta testers are welcome.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by doakh, Oct 21, 2009.

1. P3N3TRAT10N

P3N3TRAT10N MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2009
  2. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    you know what you should do ? :) share your findings! P5Q Deluxe have AMI Aptio test bios as well (sticky), we can assume mobo manufactures will eventualy switch to it, so it would be nice to know in advance in which directions to go, when trying to add slic in :) also andyp, yen and co can make some automatization tool out of it :)

GJ otherwise!

3. middleton

middleton MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    You guys are so funny. You sit here and wait for a kind magician which will tell you how to mod AMI Aptio UEFI staff. But the most funny thing is your crying: "UEFI is the end of BIOS modding", "Give us tools for UEFI BIOS modding" etc.
    Don't be so lazy! All UEFI documentation is available on Intel site. Download pdf-files and read it carefully. All the structures of UEFI BIOS are described in details (volumes, files, sections, compression). I spent one day for documentation studying and when I completely understood UEFI BIOS structure, it took me 10 minutes to insert SLIC 2.1 instead of 2.0 into MSI GX600 AMI Aptio BIOS without any tools. BIOS modding has never been so simple. Don't you understand that when all BIOS vendors start to use UEFI it will be possible to create one universal tool for modding ANY BIOS. Think about it and finally read the f**king UEFI documentation :).

Update:
    Hey, I've downloaded P5Q Deluxe UEFI BIOS. Its structure is the same as in MSI GX600. Try to guess: how much time it takes to insert SLIC 2.1 into this BIOS? You are right - 5 minutes :D.

4. middleton

middleton MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    I have written my thoughts of a AMI Aptio (UEFI) modding in this sticky topic "Efi bios----P5Q Deluxe now with (U)EFI available--TOOLS NEEDED!!".

5. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    well seeing you have done the research perhaps you'll just be so kind as to tell everyone how you did it, no point 10 other people spending the time to research when you've done it already, counter productive :)

information sharing is what this place is all about! any help is always appreciated!!! It's great you were able to mod it

6. anmg

anmg MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    middleton
    What about intel EFI bioses? did you try to do something with them?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. anmg

anmg MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #69 Yen, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Tell me if you want to share your findings yes or no!
    So easy...I don't play a game...;)

10. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    What a charming attitude. I have read some of the documentation and am comfortable with the structure. I am glad you read it as well, and clearly made more progress than I. I have not found a SLIC in either the Intel UEFI or AMI UEFI here. I am more than happy to be corrected.

As far as reading (all 1000 pages) of the f**king documentation, this is not my day job, far from it. I am not a professional in IT in any respect. I write and maintain the 3 tools. I have spent a chunk of time disassembling Sony Phoenix BIOSes to remove (hopefully) the last remaining lock. If everyone contributes something then we all benefit.

I would be delighted if you show us your findings for uefi. Parsing is fine. I am especially interested in compressing/decompressing (although I see how that is done and just need to find x86 code - I will try to compile the code from the Intel specs but I am crap at C++), and where you found the SLIC (I can't see it, perhaps I am being stupid), are there any checksum issues, and finally, does it work!!

You also have the advantage of actually being able to test.... I unfortunately do not have any UEFI hardware.

Andy

11. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    He probably compiled the decopress (compress) source code of apendix H and I....

12. Darth_nVader

Darth_nVader MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Congratulations, I've never seen anyone who could talk out their ass, so well.:rolleyes:

13. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  14. middleton

middleton MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Yen
    I can answer concrete questions only. I've got no time to write huge messages about UEFI basics. Especially when Intel has already made it instead of me.

anmg
    Give me a link to such BIOS.

15. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Well, whether you help or not, I am sure we will figure it out. Thanks for the link to the PDFs.... I had already found two of them which I referenced when writing the module parsing code.

Andy

16. middleton

middleton MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    andyp
    If you ask concrete question then I'll try to answer you.

17. phrunt

phrunt MDL Addicted

May 1, 2007
    ok, how did you decompress/compress and what about checksums?