All about UEFI. Both threads are merged. Beta testers are welcome.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by doakh, Oct 21, 2009.

1. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Where (hex offset) is the SLIC in the p5q deluxe BIOS??

Andy

2. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Looking at his before/after I understand the checksums - they are the same as Insyde, and I think the compression is LHA like.... I am playing. Happy to be corrected though.

Andy

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    middleton, what tool to you recommend to decompress /recompress a cut section?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. middleton

middleton MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    OK, Yen. I'll do it tomorrow. Sorry but it's night in Russia now, 2 AM.

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Thank you very much.:)

I'm reading the pdf's you have linked to. Very interesting! I haven't spent much time in that matter so far. But you are right, the documentation is well made. Although my profession is far away from C related expressions and stuff, I think I'll get it sooner or later. The EFI structure is much more modular, nested.

If you would provide your compiled deco/comp files and your modified ASUS P5Q EFI I would be more than happy.

Thanks again.

7. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    I have managed to compile a compress/decompress program in VS2008 using the sources and modding eficompressmain.c to do both......

Have to go to a boring work meeting now but will try and finish when I get back.

Quite chuffed given the last time I programmed in C was before C++ was even invented!

Andy

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Great Andy!
    I did some assembly at commodore 64 and later some BASIC programming.:rolleyes:
    And later I also compiled 'foreign' sources using Borland C++ compiler, can't even remember what it was......hmm..I'm far away from all that.;)

9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    I have been there before..I have almost no knowledge left, cause my knowledge was limited then..I shall learn a lot this time around..I will have much more time for this after the next few weeks...I have to have grades in by the Dec. 10th...Then nothing University for three weeks...:D:D:D (If I go back to instruction)

This could be a very interesting foray into UEFI....for me anyway...

10. middleton

middleton MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    There is the legal method to add ACPI tables. It's described in acpi.pdf which you can find on Intel web site.

EFI_ACPI_SUPPORT_PROTOCOL.SetAcpiTable() - this method allows to add, update and remove system ACPI tables. We can patch BIOS efi-executable named "ACPI" by adding code which inserts SLIC table or modifies existing one. Moreover, we can create our ACPI efi-driver and place it at the end of firmware volume (as you can see there is enough free space at the end of the volume). Then we change GUID of native ACPI BIOS module and assign this GUID to our newly added ACPI driver and that's it! - BIOS will call our module instead of native one because firmware searches files by GUIDs.

11. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Sounds very elegant. I fear it may be well beyond my skills....

Andy

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yesterday I had a look at that acpi EFI document as well and the same came into my mind.
    I guess to add a SLIC module should be possible .It's probably easier than we think now, although I haven't got a concrete idea.
    If we are lucky, yes, we 'only' would have to format a SLIC and place it to somewhere where is enough space....probably a bit header / GUID adjustment, too.
    Then we probably have to modify the OEMIDs of RSDT /XSDT as well....
    I've got the feeling EFI is much more comfortable and flexible...anyway more nested.

We are in the same situation as we were when we had no clue to mod an AMI bios. We could mod Award at first, then phoenix....
    I think to have a look at EFI bioses which contain a full SLIC already in one section could be helpful...(there will be more and more in the future).

Andy your EFIDC.exe gives an error here: The program cannot be executed...

I've got a bad flu and stay at home....cannot think about, have to go to bed again....

See you! ;)

13. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Hi

Reuploaded. I compiled in debug mode, that might be the problem.

Funny, I have a flu like illness as well..... no tail yet though!

Andy

14. anmg

anmg MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009
  15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #98 Yen, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  16. anmg

anmg MDL Senior Member

Jul 28, 2009