Any Tor Experts?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by xxsisyphusxx, Jan 22, 2014.

1. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    I frequent this site a lot, but just about always as a lurker, as there's so much information already. I'm trying to actually contribute now.

One area of this site that I find very little information about is tor. I'd like to see more about it.

Are there any people here who know it well? Would like to share?

Some issues I'm having trouble with as an example would be:

I setup the Expert Bundle and installed the toggle button in Firefox Nightly. However, the button is out of date. Is this a security risk?

How do I check for things - such as which version of tor I'm running - via command prompt? (Windows 8. I don't have a problem with this in Linux command line.)

Is there a way to update the tor button in FF Nightly?

Also, most of the Internet seems to be lacking this information. I've done many searches through Google trying to find clear examples on how to manage tor through command prompt. The only page on the tor website about this assumes an understanding of command prompt syntax that is quite foreign to me.

"That's because this bundle is for experts."

I'd agree, but where am I or others supposed to learn? The tor forum is severely lacking in this area too.

Any input is appreciated.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I would like to know more about Tor configuration as well. So far I am using the Tor browser bundle out of the box only....(modified FF with Vidalia CP)...I think the bundle is made to have most use of Tor, I don't need another browser to work with Tor.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xxsisyphusxx

xxsisyphusxx MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2014
    I like to be able to toggle, so I have the expert bundle as mentioned. I'm having some issues updating it however, and I don't have any idea where to go to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I hope someone reads this who knows enough about tor to post useful stuff about it.

For whatever reason, Linux documentation is quite explicit for how to setup and maintain tor. Windows is severely lacking all over the Internet which is why I thought MDL would be the perfect place to request more information.

Is there some other place on MDL I could post about this to see if I can scrounge up some moderate-to-advanced users of tor?

4. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    If there is still interesting I could upload some stuff but it's an old thread. I guess basic stuff is already well documented over official channels and the Wiki. There are also several examples given, some stuff is outdated but most stuff still fits.