Anyone else think Edge is a bit buggy in 14393.10 still?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Threat, Aug 4, 2016.

1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    If Edge wasn't already included with Windows 10, nobody would use it. I remember the one and only time I tried it, I was wondering what kind of worthless software is this and why is it on my taskbar? I removed all links to it and blocked it in my firewall which made it not buggy any more.

2. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Sometimes "close all tabs" on exit doesn't work, the dialog just disappears and Edge keeps running. Apart from that, it's a pretty decent browser and I actually like its bare minimum feature set. IMO it's fast and lightweight and quite stable (at least for the websites I visit the most). I don't even use the Adblock extension, not that I didn't want to, but it seems you cannot download and install extensions on a local account (I still don't get why a Store account is required for apps and extensions that are free since they don't really need to be tied to an account). Nonetheless, it doesn't matter; the HOSTS file is doing a great job, it even blocks ads on YouTube, and I can live with the little that comes through.

From a developer perspective, I still don't like the fact that the EdgeHTML engine is only available in UWP apps. MSHTML was available to Win32/.NET applications via COM interfaces, and there was an EdgeHTML.tlb in early Windows 10 builds, so I guess it's another political decision rather than a technical limitation.

3. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    I'm sure politics played a part, but could the decision also perhaps have been partially security related? Maybe they decided to restrict access only to sandboxed apps?

4. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    Here also: Edge is a buggy with the Internet connection :some sites cannot access or not available, and suddenly I must refresh the pages, but in Chrome and Firefox I had no kind of these buggs.:eek:

5. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Edge won't close on my PC just like some of those insider builds. I even installed it in vmware and had the same problem. Sad.

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #29 dobbelina, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    De-Edgeing recipe:
    1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Right click it and "Pin to Taskbar"(Now you can remove the Edge shortcut)

2. Copy paste the following in your search bar to get to Default Programs:
    %windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{17cd9488-1228-4b2f-88ce-4298e93e0966}

3. Then click on "Set your default programs"
    Locate Internet Explorer and click on it.
    Then click "Choose defaults for this program" and tick every box and save, done!

4. To remove the annoying smiley in the upper right corner, add the following to a textfile and
    save as Smiley_gone.reg and doubleclick:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions]
    "NoHelpItemSendFeedback"=dword:00000001

Edge is like a kiosk browser at an asylum for colorblind people.
    Calling it terrible is a mild understatement.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...