Anyone leave Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by GOD666, Dec 18, 2016.

1. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Windows 10 is the best .... so far. I will never go back :eek: to 8 or 7, are you crazy!

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Nobody likes being watched and we all agree that it's gone too far by both authorities and private organizations.

But regarding the specific point of leaving 10 for this exclusive reason, I merely point out that after some recent "critical updates", 7 and 8 have been "enriched" with much the same monitoring mechanisms, possibly even without 10's possibilities to reduce some of them.

3. redstone

redstone MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2009
    I use Win7 at work and 10 at home. Overall I much much prefer windows 10.

4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I've thought about leaving windows 10 a lot in the past. But now that I know how to greatly reduce telemetry, replace the start menu, kill the store and cortana, control updates, kill the lock screen, and lots of other tweaks that make it act like the OS I'd like it to be, I'm sticking with it. It's really a pain in the ass though. I don't see the point in hacking windows 7 to reduce telemetry since it's dying a slow death like XP did anyway. No future in that in my opinion. With all of its many faults, especially with certain older hardware and driver issues, 10 is a cleaner leaner OS that has a lot of potential. Also, after close to a year of running the same install on 4 of my machines, it hasn't slowed down (windows rot) anything like 7 does and I've got a lot of programs installed. I always keep it updated and I'm not an insider since I'm not interested in being an alpha tester. Being an RTM beta tester is bad enough for me. But since I've tweaked it the way I like it, and after I got the RS1 issues straightened out, I haven't had to do anything to it since. It just works.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I tried 10 out for a couple months and with the adware, telemetry and forced updates..... I'm sticking with 7. If M$ could fix those things, 10 could be a very good beta O.S.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I have a few virtual computers running for Windows Vista and Windows 8. But for some things I'd much rather have it running fully dedicated (games for example). Of course I also use VM's for security testing ;)

7. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #29 GOD666, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    (OP)
    Ha ha ha :p

I think that is one of the reasons why I find myself using Windows 7. Yes, my hardware supports Windows 10 just fine and I have no problem with drivers or programs running on Windows 10 either. But somehow it always feels as though I'm beta testing, even when I'm using the latest stable release. Windows 10 never feels "complete" to me. :rolleyes:

If I use Home or Pro I feel like I need to take out all the junk and hacking away feels cheap. If I use Windows LTSB, (which is the closest to my liking) I have to add in some of the things that are missing and have to self-support it. In the end; I just feel like what I'm looking for out of Windows 10 is not truly there.

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    here actualy running Windows 8.1 PRO x64 tweaked til your root :rofl: works fast, with Aeroglass, my own themes etc without bsod's this O.S. make your job as true desktop; but all in this world is one challenge then now working with windows Server 2016 RTM for future use and with all tweaks that I deserve of course :p

9. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    m$ used us for beta testing ever since w3.0.. :D

10. ultimate11

ultimate11 MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2015
    I "technically" left Windows 10, but not leave as in go back to 8.1 or 7, I just left the consumer version of 10 (Pro) and went with the business version of 10 (Enterprise).

I still haven't paid for an OS since I foolishly bought Windows 8 for $9.99 (or whatever that sale deal was), so M$ has got nothing from me since.

11. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

Jesus, how will they survive if you don't give them money. Now that company is up in the air. Tsk

12. ultimate11

ultimate11 MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2015
    Well I don't see a lump of coal in my stocking this Christmas. Maybe Santa ain't real after all. Or maybe I'm Santa, and I give gifts out- to myself. :cool:

EDIT: More or less, I'm looking at a few hundred of dollars in savings if I use Enterprise & Office 2016. That, and I didn't even mention the fact I've got Server 2016 Database. I'm evil incarnate!:evil2:

13. Nongshim

Nongshim Guest

I was always back to Windows one way or another, I went to Linux but always came back, I dual booted but back 100% to Windows I came. I just got so tired of fighting with the damn thing to do what I wanted it to do, so I came back to Windows where everything actually works the way it should.

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I used to do this a lot back around when 7 came out. Would switch to Linux every now and then, and find some reason (mostly related to gaming) to come back to Windows.

Windows 10's launch made me stick with Linux as hard as I could and now I'm pretty comfortable with it as a primary OS (Fedora Workstation specifically). Now I flip to Windows every now and then, and then find some reason to switch back to Linux :p

15. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I'm just not really sure. Our two primary computers are Macs which I guess we use 99% of the time, we have two iPads, one iPhone, one dumb phone (mine), One XP Netbook (runs old ham radio programming software very well), one Windows 10 netbook, one low end Windows 10 laptop, one "high end" Windows 10 gaming laptop, one old Windows 10 dual core desktop and one rather high end Dell Windows 10 desktop dedicated to embroidery tasks. I have Windows 10, 7 and XP virtual machines and one Linux Mint 17.3 virtual machine.
    We believe in spreading the misery around.

16. master44tr

master44tr MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2013
    I haven't deleted the W7 acronis back up file yet, just incase. It sleeps in D drive incase I need it one day. It takes only 15 minutes to shift from W10 to W7 or visa versa.

17. bbd2259

bbd2259 MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2013
    I've been running a tri boot setup with WIN10-WIN8.1-Kali Linux ever since WIN10 was available. I also have numerous Macrium images of XP and WIN7 stored away on a spare drive.
    Plus messing with a few VM's when I'm curious about something new.

I don't really feel tied to any of them particularly. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in on any given day.

18. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    If you got 10 as a "free upgrade", you just grind your teeth, if you bought it, you go bananas! :rastabanana: