Arima HDAMA and HDAMB Motherboard BIOS Fixes

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tqhoang, Jul 7, 2010.

1. caylor93

caylor93 MDL Junior Member

Apr 27, 2010
    I tried, but Server 2008 R2 blue screened with the ACPI error. I should have a copy of the BIOS soon, but I don't think two copies of the BIOS will fit on one floppy, so I am having to do some workarounds.

2. caylor93

Apr 27, 2010
    The weird thing is that in the BIOS setup there is an enable ACPI feature and also enable SRAT tables feature. Both were turned on and still I got the ACPI error with the Blue Screen.

3. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    caylor93 - I separated the BIOS into modules using AndyP's PhoenixTool. It appears that the ACPI DSDT is newer but the ACPI FACP is the same as the v1.12 BIOS.

So you plan on running Windows Server 2008 R2 on there right? What I'll do is post a few BIOS mods for you.
    - Original v1.22 (for archiving purposes)
    - Original v1.22 + SI 5.4.0.3 (for Win XP/2003)
    - Original v1.22 + SI 5.5.0.0 + ACPI FACP fix (for Win Vista/7/2008[R2])

Once we get the ACPI FACP fixed BIOS working, if you're interested in getting PowerNow/OPM working, then you'll have to get me the exact CPU model numbers and also a Linux LiveCD "powernow-k8" output. Details are in my first post of the thread.

UPDATE: First post is updated with HDAMA-I v1.22 BIOS mods.
    caylor93 - Please let me know if the one with the ACPI FACP fix works for you...it should.

4. caylor93

Apr 27, 2010
    OSA280FAA6CB is the only one I need, as I have upgraded all of my 244 CPUs to this. I think you have that CPU...is that correct or do you need the "powernow-k8" output? Server 2008 R2 is what I run and so far your 1.12 mods work great with the OSA280FAA6CB CPUs.

5. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Ok, all done. The first post has been updated again to add the PowerNow mods of the HDAMA-I v1.22 BIOS. Feedback would be appreciated.

Also let me know if you upgrade any of your existing boards from v1.12 to v1.22. I'm curious if the v1.22 BIOS is compatible with all of the HDAMA-I motherboards.

6. caylor93

Apr 27, 2010
    The 1.22 280 mod BIOS is working fine in my 2008 R2 server. Thanks once again.

7. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Cool. I'll ask MDL mods to upload it.

BTW, you mentioned that you have other HDAMA-I's running 1.12 + 280 mod. Have you upgraded any of those to 1.22 + 280 mod?

8. caylor93

Apr 27, 2010
    Yes, I have upgraded one and it is running with no problems so far.

9. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    The new mods are now added, See first post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. warmo

warmo MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    is there a version of the latest bios with server 2008 r2 oem activation in ? cheers

11. colinm213

colinm213 MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2010
    Hi there

I've got a question for tqhoang regarging the Opteron 280 PowerNow BIOS'es

I've recently upgraded my Hdama-G running the stock Rackable 2.18B BIOS from dual Opteron 250's to dual OSP280FAA6CB 280's. At idle, the proc's sit at about 43 deg c, but when they're put under 100% load using Prime95, the temperature rises very rapidly and the CPU fans go to 100%. I stopped the test with the temperature at 67 deg c and still climbing. When the CPU load drops the temperature drops back down to 43 deg c, but if I reload the CPU's it starts climbing again.

(When replacing the procs, I cleaned the heatsinks and proc, replaced the thermal paste, and confirmed the paste application was good by doing a dry run, removing the heatisink and checking the coverage, then once I'd verified most of the proc was covered, I repeated the process)

I'm assuming I need the PowerNow BIOS to stop the temperature rises, but what is the difference between the "PowerNow for Opteron 280" BIOS and the "PowerNow for Opteron 280 (fixed at 1.25v)" version?

Also, have the previously reported stability issues with the PowerNow BIOS been resolved?

I'm running server 2008 x64 r2, a previous poster had noted that the modded BIOS'es were ok under 32-bit but had issues with x64, is this still the case? Also, is the issue with running XP/server 2k3 still present?

Thanks for all your hard work on this tqhoang, there are hundreds of Hdama owners who would have expensive paperweights without all you've done!

12. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    You're stressing the CPU's at 100% with benchmarks like that. If your CPU's get into the 80+ deg C, then I'd worry. Also remember that thermal paste takes a day or two to sort of break-in.

The PowerNow only lets the OS scale down the voltage & frequency when it's not needed. This will lower your CPU temps as well as the noise and your electric bill.

That guy was my only user of the Opteron 280 OSP BIOS. He had problems switching between any of the frequencies and voltages. I made the "fixed 1.25V" BIOS in case it was the voltage scaling that was causing his problem...I suspect his motherboard was a little flakey or something.

I would suggest that you use the full PowerNow BIOS for the Opteron 280 OSP.

That was the same guy...but his 64-bit problem was with either FreeBSD or some other BSD variant. I think he might have tried Ubuntu and Fedora Linux too. (another reason why I think his problems were hardware related).

Please keep us posted on what you end up using and any problems that you're having (or not having...good feedback is appreciated too).

13. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    Tqhoang,

I jsut got the server freezing problem sorted, see below. I will keep the current bios and see how it goes! The Western Digital Hard drives were causing the problem :)

h t t p://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/16178-network-fail-after-file-transfer/page__pid__94630#entry94630

14. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Those 'green' drives should not be used in a RAID configuration. I remember that a while back, some of WD's standard desktop drives required a special firmware because of a TLER timing problem. Basically the array would go offline because the drives didn't respond to the controller's request in time.

So which BIOS are you using again? Also I assume you're still using Windows Home Server right?

15. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    I spoke too soon, but it worked longer than usual :( I will edit later today with the Bios info I installed!

Tqhoang,
    I am still using WHS without Raid setup.

Here is the bios info as per your instructions,
    - For a bootable CD image, you need to download my HDAMA-G ISO image and burn it to a CD using an app like the free ImgBurn. Then boot the CD and run the batch script for whichever BIOS you want to flash.

I strongly suggest you flash the original 2.18B first (i.e. F_ORIG.BAT). Then reboot and flash one of my modded ones (ex: F_SIL55.BAT).

16. caylor93

Apr 27, 2010
    Hi Tqhoang,

Can I get the HDAMA-G BIOS v2.18B BIOS mod for the Opteron 280 OSA cpu?

Thank you in advance...

17. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    tqhoang,

I have still got the freezing problem on the WHS on my ADAMA Board with the revised bios you suggested. As WHS is a flovour of Windows Server 2003 which bios would you suggest I try next.
    Also is there a way to check the system to see what is causing the problem? Event Viewer and then what? It seems to freeze when the server downloads an update from Microsoft, transfering files to the server or when I back up a computer to the server.
    Could it be the Broadcom drivers for the NIC's (I am only using one of the NIC's)? If so any suggestions on replacement drivers?