Arima HDAMA and HDAMB Motherboard BIOS Fixes

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tqhoang, Jul 7, 2010.

1. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    The ISO is contains a bootable floppy image in the bootsector. The only regular file I have in there is the text file. Just burn it and try to boot it.

For your question regarding the Rackable zip file, the file extension doesn't matter. They just have it named .RF4. Just rename it to .WPH/.BIN/.ROM or whatever you want.

2. ainygma

ainygma MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2012
    Okay I have an HDAMA Revision G...It will not let me install Windows 7 or server 2008...I seem some stuff on here about a modified bios....Also the CPUs I have are Opteron 250s...some help would be apprecited so I can install windows 7 on it or even OSX.....Windows 7 and OSX both require a fully ACPI 2.0 motherboard.

Please help.

Okay I got the bios flashed and windows server 2008 installs but does not recognize the ethernet.

3. ainygma

ainygma MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2012
    The ethernet driver from broadcomm throws a blue screen in windows server 2008 r2 x64-bit....Anyone having the same issue? Using the windows server 2003 x64-bit driver since the 2008 driver does not support BCM5702.o_O

4. dpauto

dpauto MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2012
    hi every one im new hereto this .i just need info on how to down load the bios mod zip files, ty

5. OlivierW

OlivierW MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Hello mateuszd,

I had the exact same problem. Everything was OK with 2 RAM stick. But when I added more, the PSU fan was running full speed.
    My fix : opening the PSU, disconnecting the fan. Then before closing the PSU again, I run the fan's wire above the fan (there's a tape here). Now I'm connecting the fan's wire to some 5V found on some HDD wires. So, the fan always run but it's very quiet.

6. OlivierW

OlivierW MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Hello all,

I've a 12 HDDs bays server with a HDAMA Rev.G board I bought on ebay in 2010. I have one of the BIOS from tqhoang, but I can't remember which exact one.

The server has worked very well with Debian since the begining, but now I've a problem : it doesn't boot at all. It doesn't display anything on the monitor (it goes on standby mode) the keyboard LED stay off and there isn't a single beep. The fans are running when I power on the server, the two motherboard LED are lit. The front face of the server has its LEDs also lit.

I've unplugged all the HDDs, the 3ware 9500s card and removed all the RAM sticks except one (of course, I tried changing the RAM stick and the RAM bank). I don't know what else can I try ? Maybe I should try removing one of the processor, but I've to buy thermal paste first.

Is anyone have an idea to solve my huge problem ?

7. OlivierW

OlivierW MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks for your answer tqhoang.
    I've tried to unplug the AC and the CMOS battery for a few seconds, then for a few minutes but it still doesn't work.
    Well, it has changed something : now when I plug and switch on the PSU, the fans immediatly starts running. Before, I had to wait something like 10 seconds or push the power on button to start. Anyway, I still have the same problem.

Is it possible that the BIOS got erased somehow ? All my computers and network equipment is connected to UPS and/or surge suppressors.

8. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Not likely unless you shocked the chip somehow. You can buy a replacement chip on eBay if you search for the right part number. A lot of times, the person has an EEPROM programmer too, so you just need to supply the BIOS ROM file (with the platform info removed).

9. OlivierW

OlivierW MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    I hadn't opened the server for several months so I haven't shocked the chip.
    Do you know the reference of the eeprom ? On ebay I've found "SST 49LF080A, 49LF008A, 49LF004A, 49LF004B, 49LF002A, 49LF020A; PMC PM49FL004T, PM49FL002T, PM39F040; WINBOND W39V080Fxx, W39V080Axx,W39V040xx, W49V002AP" but there's certainly a brand and reference which suits better the mobo. And when I see the price of a preprogrammed chip, I think it's better to buy a new motherboard.

I guess I'll have to try removing the CPUs to see if there's a problem there and if I can boot with just one CPU.

10. slicli

slicli MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2011
    I've got a pile of the AMA's with the 270 and I'm so gratefull to have found this thread. Will these later bios's allow me to install ESXi5? It's cool if not, I can use them instead as a dynamips cluster

11. slicli

slicli MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2011
    I downloaded the all in one zip file and the bootable cd iso's are empty, the floppy ima images have stuff on them though...yet the iso's are blank, what's the dealio?

12. OlivierW

OlivierW MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    I've tried removing the CPUs, using just one, using CPU 1 in socket 2 and vice versa and still nothing. So, I've just ordered a new motherboard with new CPUs.

slicli : which tool are you using to check the ISO files ? I've just downloaded the zip file and I've opened the ISO with 7-Zip : they aren't blank.

13. slicli

slicli MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2011
    I ended up making a dos bootable usb stick, then copying all the files in the ima file to it. So I flashed it to the base 2.18 and that did fix my ESXi issue, which is wonderful. I'm very grateful.

Everything I could find says that these boards have a max mem capacity of 16G (8 x 2GB). Now that ESX is running I'd much prefer 32G of RAM. Has anyone tried 4G dimm's?

14. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Burn the ISO as an image. The floppy image is in the bootable area of the CD ISO and not visible in the regular file system area.

15. OlivierW

OlivierW MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    I haven't tried with 4GB sticks as I don't have any but like you, I've read everywhere that 16GB is the max possible. Remember, this motherboards are from 2005 and 16GB is already quite a lot. If you really need 32GB, I think you should get a different mobo which is probably more expensive than the HDAMA ones.

16. OlivierW

OlivierW MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2012
    Here are some news...
    I've just received my new mobo and its CPUs. So I've removed the old one and installed the new one : still same problem... It acts as if it was working but there's nothing on the screen, the keyboard LED doesn't light up, and in the end it never boot...
    If I try to telnet port 10001 of the remote management card, I just get a single unreadable character when I power on the server and nothing else.

I've tried another PSU, but still same thing... I've changed everything except the RAM sticks. I've tried again every stick everywhere without luck. Looks like I'm good to buy new RAM sticks.

17. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    If it were the RAM sticks, then the system would at least POST or give you an error.

Something you can try is remove all the RAM sticks. The system should give a series of beeps when you try to boot it up. If that doesn't happen, then something else is the cause.

Also try disconnecting the remote management card? I seem to recall someone saying that the card was causing their system to lockup.

18. JHTURNER77

JHTURNER77 MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    Extra Sata/Raid PCI card

Hello, thanks for all your info for Arima Rio rev G. The chip for Sata/Raid is not on my board so I have installed a PCI card. Question? I flashed the 218B bios without the 218 first, I know this was naughty and will redo it next. Will my drives [which are not viewable in the bios yet] via card be able to be seen in the bios at any stage after my redo? And will my CDROM drive be a bootable drive?] Which bios do I need to do the job, sataraid or siliconimage [I don't know the difference]. The card has a Via-Raid chipset 3249.

Thanks for your patience in dealing with this dumpfkopf.

:)