Arima HDAMA and HDAMB Motherboard BIOS Fixes

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tqhoang, Jul 7, 2010.

1. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    @fresh.jay - Forgot that you could use the non-PowerNow HDAMA-G v2.18 BIOS + SATALINK5500, and then install RMClock to do the PowerNow for you with the OST280 CPU's.

2. allesclar

allesclar MDL Novice

Jun 18, 2013
    tquoang,

This is some fantastic work you have been doing. I have had my server for a few years now and have recently upgraded it.

Original:
    2 x AMD Opteron 250 2.4Ghz
    8Gb DDR
    Standard case

Now:
    2 x AMD Opteron 285 2.6Ghz + 2 x Zalman 9500Cu coolers
    16Gb DDR
    Lian LI PC 70 case

I do have a question though. I did originally flash the BIOS based on the 250 opterons and everything worked perfectly. When i upgraded the CPU,s to 285's i never re flashed the BIOS but everything is running perfectly apart from one issue and i think that its because I have not re flashed the MOBO.

The 285s will never go above 2.4Ghz but i am afraid to re flash as the CPU's i got are the OST type. Powernow works fine and will step down to around 1Ghz when not being used and the SATA is happily running RAID 1 with no issues.

Do you have any suggestions? I have read that there may be issues with the OST rather than the OSA type cpus.

Thanks alot for your hard work on these HDAMA's btw.

Regards

Adam

3. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    @allesclar - Look at my post right above yours. I suggest you go try going back to the stock BIOS for your board and then installing RMClock to do the PowerNow.

4. majo

majo MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    is there any ARIMA oficial page what can supply origibal BIO´s?

5. mariosfx

mariosfx MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2013
    hi there, new to the forum. i own an hdama arima rev G. with pair of 250 opteron. i flashed the last 2.18B bios and everything runs fine. i want to upgrade the cpu. can somebody confirm about the 285? do the osa and ost works ?

thank you in advance.

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    The OSA 285's should work fine with the stock 2.18B or my PowerNow modded BIOS. If you get the OST 285's, it won't be able to use the lower voltages unless you use the software RMClock to do the PowerNow scaling.

7. mariosfx

mariosfx MDL Novice

Dec 1, 2013
    thank you very much for your answer. finally i ordered a pair of 880's as i saw here that it is possible to put them instead. i found them for 10 dollars :) i will post my review when i try them.

8. 8buttons

8buttons MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi tqhoang,

Great work on these BIOS's, I've been using one on my girlfriends server for ages. Up until now its been running great under 2003 server. Ive just upgraded the system to 2008 server but have ran into some issues. Under 2003 server all was fine using BIOS : HDAMAI_126_SATALINK5500, the system was stable and I was using Speedfan to keep the temps in check.

I've used BIOS : HDAMAI_122_SATALINK5500_FACP_DSDT_OPTERON270 to install 2008 server. The install and setup goes fine but when trying to use Speedfan for control it reports an error, after some reading I've found the error means the BIOS failed to initialize the Super IO IC for fan control. Other than that, everything works excellent.

I've also tried the HDAMAI_126_SATALINK5500_DSDT_OPTERON270 BIOS for 2008 server which results in a blue screen with the error 'BIOS is not fully ACPI compliant'. I'm assuming this is due to FACP? I'm guessing this from the titles of the BIOS files. I also noticed an extra option under version 126 for PowerNow which I'd like to mess with.

Could you possibly make me a BIOS for the HDAMA-I for the following:

BIOS version 1.26 with DSDT & FACP
    Opteron 270
    SataLink ROM

That's if you think the 2008 acpi error is caused by FACP not being in version 1.26 (or is it?). It would greatly appreciated, I'm hoping using 1.26 will give me back my fan control. At the moment, using 1.22 its running great but its a bit on the loud side. Sorry for another BIOS request after years of you doing this. :)

On another note, I was playing around in Phoenix BIOS Editor 2.2.1.3. When opening your BIOS images I get a notice stating a 'Routing Table Mismatch, this module may not be usable' and I also get runtime errors (that could just be a lack of system files, I'm looking into that now). Can you recommend some tools for opening/editing these BIOS images? I'd like to have a mess around with what's in there. I have a flash programmer for recovery so I dont mind bricking the board a few times. :)

Thanks in advance

9. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    8buttons - The corrected FACP ACPI table should already be part of BIOS v1.26. I have it running on a server with 285's but I haven't flashed a PowerNow BIOS modded one since I'm running VMware ESXi.

I have to find a WinServer2008 disc to try it out. Right now I only have Win7.
    In the meantime, have you tried BIOS v1.23?

In terms of editing, I used the same PBE version and PhoenixTool. You can ignore the warnings from PBE.

10. the_punnisher

the_punnisher MDL Novice

Sep 21, 2016
    #911 the_punnisher, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    Arima fixes with your help

I don't upgrade Windoze unless I need the new features. W10 has all the features installed for " pay to play " so now you get a monthly bill to lease it ( you never owned Windoze, you licensed it ).
    On the Arima Rhapsody motherboards, SGI bought these MBs to create a a better HPC workstation. ( the irony: I worked at CRI and we had a similar " microsupercomputer " project when Cray Research was bought by SGI. I'll bet the mediocre Cray people made this buy. ( the smart people had already left CRI for better jobs ) Your site and your zip files is a much better site than the sgi website. I have examples of 3 different Arima Rhapsody boards; One with 4 PCI-X slots and NO 3114 support, one with 3 PCI-X slots AND on board 3114 chip to run SATA 1 drives ( which is actually a cheat: 133 PATA beats SATA 1 for DATA I/O throughput ) and a board with 3 PCI-X slots and NO on-board 3114 chip.
    I have spent some time verifying issues and fixes. I'm just about finished and I will publish my results here.;)

11. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #913 tqhoang, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    (OP)
    Sorry, haven't logged into the site in a while.

First post is updated with a new link.

12. misterdna

misterdna MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2018
    I missed this. Sorry. Yes, I'm willing to beta test once I have my compute nodes doing real work. I have one identical (to the 16 compute nodes) testbed designed for OS testing (now that I'm Windows instead of Linux I don't really need that) and can build two or three more just like it.

13. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Ok, let me see if I can put something together for the HDAMA-revG v2.18 + OSP275. Give me about a week...gotta find the spare time.