Arima HDAMA and HDAMB Motherboard BIOS Fixes

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by tqhoang, Jul 7, 2010.

1. pmf

pmf MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    tqhoang,

yes I disassembled the module. I quickly found a variable used to display the Raid or ono RAID text. From there I could see where that variable was set and based on what tests. Reading the SIL specification help to understand what to change and how to do it. The code was then entered with a hex editor (overwriting some text) and a new checksum calculated.

here is the actual code

View attachment 7311

Please be aware that using this under Windows requires another driver (SATALINK) then the SATARAID

Peter

2. pmf

pmf MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    tqhoang,

I have some old tools that I always use. To disasemble w32Dasm. The important thing is to remember that the oprom is 16bit and that the code starts at offset 3. Both of these can be set in W32Dasm. It does not produce a file that can be recompiled, but in this case that is not a problem. To actually add the code I use HeD v1.78b an old cmdline hexeditor. It can switch from hex to asm view and you can enter code directly. To set the checksum (8bit must be zero) I adjust the last byte in the file.

For sure there will be much better new tools but these works fine.

Peter

3. ljcomp

ljcomp MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    Ok looks like I spoke too soon. The server stopped sometime last night.
    I will flash with the vst200 bios this AM and reporrt back.

LJ

In fact it was 06:05 this Am it stopped. Probably in a idle state having no tasks scheduled at that time.

4. epsilon6

epsilon6 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    Hey Guys, I have downloaded the VST200 ROM and installed it. I went from 2.13B to 2.18B from rackable systems. I lost the use of my IDE and floppy drives, so I had to create a bootable USB floppy drive. After creating that, I then upgraded to the VST200 ROM that was posted a few days back and I still cannot use my IDE or Floppy drives.

Has anyone ran into this problem? I read earlier where someone had this same problem, but I did not see a solution.

5. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    The IDE port not detecting the hard drive I think was because the hard drive was previously used in a Windows software RAID setup. The BIOS detected the drive but Windows did not.

Were your IDE hard drive(s) and floppy drive ever working at some point or just not at all?

If not at all, try these:
    - Make sure all the IDE ports set to AUTO in the BIOS? They should be detected during the BIOS POST.
    - Is the floppy drive set to 3.5" 1.44MB in the BIOS? If not, then set the type.
    - Is the floppy light on all the time? If so, then you have the connector flipped on the back of the floppy drive.

BTW I wouldn't recommend that you use the PLL3 or VST200 ROMs, since I'm trying to debug lockup issues with a couple users. You should just grab the BIOS 2.18B off the main page with either the SI 5.4.0.3 or SI 5.5.0.0 ROM...and skip the PowerNow stuff until we can find a solution.

6. epsilon6

epsilon6 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2010
    Yes, they were working before the upgrade.

Like others here, I was trying to install Windows Server 2008 R2 and kept getting an blue screen of death relating to ACPI. I was installing Windows Server 2008 R2 from a CD-ROM. After doing some research, I found this thread. I hooked up my floppy, enabled it in the BIOS, downloaded the new BIOS, and installed it. After installing the BIOS, my CD-ROM and floppy were both disabled in the BIOS. I set the floppy drive to the 3.5" 1.44MB option and set the primary master IDE 1 drive to CDROM as it was set before. After saving the BIOS and rebooting, the BIOS halts on a floppy drive error but allows me to continue booting. The CD-ROM drive is not even detected during boot.

No, the floppy drive light does not stay on all the time.

I will revert back to the the 2.18B BIOS off the main page, but that BIOS was the one where my troubles started.

7. ljcomp

ljcomp MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    Having upgraded to the vst200 bios and re started my server at 10:00 yesterday, it stopped responding at 03:20 this AM.
    So looks like it ran about 3 hrs less than the previous bios.
    No blue screen, no errors in event viewer, power on fans running, No hard drive activity only ethernet link led flashing, again the system would have been idle or as idle as a server would be at that time.
    For hours yesterday evening I was ftping 3 100MB ish websites from 1 remote host to another, using the server for storage.
    Over a very slow broadband connection, this took 8hrs. Cpu temp never increased more than 50 deg C.
    So the server was really busy.

All went without issues.

I ran a short torture test earlier yesterday and ran the cpu's at 100% untill they were at 60 deg C without any instability.
    The system always stops when it's idle, so I don't think it's temp related, Unless it doesn't like the cold, it does live in a garage. LOL

All diagnostic tests on hardware pass, I've been involved with computers since 1980 and this 1 winding me up now, thank god it's mine and not a customers.

LJ

8. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    LJ - I'll try to find some time to make a PLL=3 and VST=200 BIOS today. Could you also post the model numbers that are on the white sticker? I'm curious if there is some correlation between different versions of the HDAMA-G and whether PowerNow locks up or not.

UPDATE: Oops, I accidentally left the PLL=3usec with that BIOS I wanted to just have VST=200usec only. So it appears that doubling the VST from 100usec => 200usec made no difference. As a last effort for my PowerNow mod, how about I just increase the PLL lock time to 4usec...that should be double of the original.

9. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    It almost sounds like your power supply is dying. FWIW, I just had an Antec TruePower 430W go after about 9 years of duty. First power cables started failing and then it just shut off one day.

Couple questions:
    1. Did you reset your BIOS to default values after flashing the 2.18B?
    2. Could you post the model numbers on the white sticker that identifies your motherboard as an HDAMA-G?

10. ljcomp

ljcomp MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    tghoang.
    Am updating the bios now. Will feed back how it goes.
    The white sticker has 40-CMB000-G200 also V58KV6D0070SBG200X
    Hope thats what you wanted.

In the bios I have
    CPU0, CPU1 LINK TX SPEED = 800MHZ
    CPU0, GOLEM0 LINK TX SPEED = 600MHZ
    IOMMU = DISABLED
    MULTIPROCESSOR SPEC = 1.4

If that make any difference ?

Have to say thanks for your help so far mate...

LJ

11. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Yes, that's the white sticker info I wanted...thanks.

You should set:
    CPU0, CPU1 LINK TX SPEED = 1000MHZ
    CPU0, GOLEM0 LINK TX SPEED = 800MHZ

I'm not sure about the IOMMU, but the MULTIPROCESSOR SPEC leave at 1.4.

12. ljcomp

ljcomp MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    Ok thanks for that I thought the opteron 250 Tx speed was 800.
    Will change them next restart.

Don't want to speak to soon again, but the system is still running and has been since 16:00 ish yesterday.
    The longest the server has run recently is 20 hrs, so far it's been on 18hrs and this is the first time it's run all night and AM.

It has been really cold in the garage where the server lives at this time the cpu's are at 15 deg C, so it doesn't mind the cold. LOL.

LJ

13. ljcomp

ljcomp MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    Yes both cpu's are E4 90nm.
    The system failed at 23:35 last night, so it had run for about 32 hrs, so far this is the best.
    Had a temp logger running and the max was 38 deg C at the time a of failure it was 22 deg C so I think I can rule out temperature.

Will change the link tx speed as mentioned this AM and start her up again.

I will be out of town for a few days so will be unable to touch the server physically but will have remote control.
    So I will have access to bios settings remotely.

See how it goes.

LJ

14. ljcomp

ljcomp MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2010
    tghoang.
    I have change the tx speed as mentioned, and noticed your comment on cpu-z reporting your tx speed still as 800Mhz.
    Mine is reporting 800Mhz for cpu1 BUT 200Mhz for cpu2.
    Is this an issue with cpu-z or my system ?

LJ

15. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
  16. notginger

notginger MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2010
    Hi,

Sorry for delay in feedback, have been away most of this week. The last bios I tried (VST100) gave me lockups after a couple of hours, as before. It's been back on the original bios and up for a couple of days while I've been away without problems.

I'll try the PLL_lock_time=4usec + VST=100usec bios that you've recently posted over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

> Only lasted for 20 minutes before freezing I'm afraid!

17. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Uggg...I'm almost out of ideas. Perhaps some of the HDAMA-G boards can not reliably do PowerNow?