ARIMA HDAMA G Bios upgrade to allow Server 2008

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dogzdinner, Dec 10, 2009.

1. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to modify the latest bios for the above mainboard so that I can install Server 2008?

Every time I attempt install I get a blue screen saying :-
    " The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor for an updated BIOS"

Help!!

Cheers,

Tom....

2. domatlapuk

domatlapuk MDL Expert

Sep 12, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    It's an Arima HDAMA rev G 2.17 bios that is actually in a Rackable Systems dual Opteron C2004 Server.

I'm just interested if I could get Small Business Server 2008 R2 installed instead of Small Business Server 2003 R2, every time I try to install it blue screens with the error that the ACPI is not fully compliant and that it needs an upgrade.

While I realise that it won't ever get an 'official' upgrade I came across this site and was hoping that someone might be able to help out! :D

Still hoping, you guys seem to know exactly what you are doing, fair play to you all!

Cheers,

Tom...

4. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Yes, tried that one....no joy!

Thanks for the link though.:)

5. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Any other ideas folks?

Thanks,

Tom...

6. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Thanks for the link, would you mind confirming exactly what I should use and how to do the flash process....just to make sure I'm not being a numpty!?

The setup actually fails and goes bluescreen prior to the setup initial processes being completed...but I will have another go now!

Tom...

PS MY HDAMA board does not actually have an onboard SATA Controller at all....it has a seperate controller plugged in via PCI.

7. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    No worries...the BIOS for the HDAMA rev.G is same whether you have the optional components.

You need to create a bootable DOS floppy or USB stick without any drivers loaded in the config.sys. Bootdisk.com has a driver-free floppy image. Also there's an HP USB formatting tool around these forums.

Read the bundled text file for flashing instructions. If you plan on installing Dell's WinServer 2008 or 2008 R2, then you need to use the "SLIC" version of the modified BIOS.

8. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Nope....still doesn't work. :(

Not too sure what else I can do now?

Thanks,

Tom....

9. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Yes, did all of this before and just did it again for good measure.

I haven't run memtest because I've installed Server 2003 without any problem....it just won't run Server 2008....strangely though, it will not install Windows Home Server either which is based on Server 2003 technology as far as I am aware!!

Happy days!

Tom...

10. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that the memory is all exactly the same, brand new approved DIMMS from Kingston as well!!

Tom...

11. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Just tried those suggestions...no change...still no boot on Server 2008

12. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Let's backtrack a bit. Exactly what hardware to you have installed on the motherboard?

13. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    4 x 1gb DDR400 Kingston DIMMS to the specifacation required by Arima (2 DIMMS per CPU)
    1 x 80Gb IDE Hard Drive
    1 x RAID card installed as standard within Rackable Systems C2004 Server (have tried the installation without this card installed as well with no luck!)
    4 x 1.5Tb Samsung Hard Drives

That's it!

Have tried installing from IDE DVD-Rom, Bootable USB stick as well.

Tom...

14. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    1. With your DIMM configuration (2 in H0 and 2 in H1 banks), have you tried with the ACPI SRAT table enabled in the BIOS?

2. Have you tried just removing 2 of the DIMM's and only try to install with 2GB of RAM in the H0 banks or moving all 4 DIMM's to the H0 banks? Perhaps the WinVista/2008 installation has trouble with NUMA memory configurations?

3. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried Win7/2008R2 to see if they have the same installation error?

15. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    I haven't tried moving all the DIMMS to the primary DIMM slots yet...I'll try that, but basically everything that was released after Server 2003 R2 does not install and comes up with the same error!

The only exception to that rule is Windows Home Server which does not install and comes up with the same error!

Tom...

16. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    Tried the memory in the primary slots only....no joy.... :(