ARIMA HDAMA G Bios upgrade to allow Server 2008

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dogzdinner, Dec 10, 2009.

1. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Since it's a Live CD, probably only /var/log and /tmp are writeable. Try those commands in /tmp and just zip and upload the acpidump.txt.

2. hitman936

hitman936 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    Hi tqhoang

I will do this for you late a the moment one of the in drives this machine has 4 bad sectors so i am running sudo fsck -pcfv to fix this which could be some time

Thanks
    Hitman936

3. hitman936

hitman936 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    Hi tqhoang

I had to reflash the bios back to a stable one because it crashing on every thing
    i manage to cd in to /tmp folder & cp the files in it but every time before i could run the command the machine lockup

Thanks
    Hitman936

4. bigfella

bigfella MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    In answer to questions yes the BIOS can see the IDE drive along with all the correct info re cylinders etc it can also see the SATA drives but only in the Boot menu. Second question yes the IDE cable is fitted correctly and is set to Master(hard disk) and Slave(CD\DVD).

Regards
    Bigfella

5. Seg

Seg MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2010
    Hi guys. 1st Post, please go easy on me, lol

I know this question has been asked alot, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer, so here goes.

I want to install Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit, but can't get it to find my sata drivers.

Spec:
    Rackable 2U system - Charles Computers Ebay

2x Opteron 250 CPU
    2Gb Ram
    1 Hitachi 320GB Sata 2 Harddrive

I have updated my bios and can install Server 2008 on IDE drive, but wanted to use SATA as this is quicker and a larger HD. I will be using a Single Sata HD for this OS, but can't seem to get Server 2008 to recognise the driver files I am trying to install for it to recognise the drive. I have tried the F8 option with disable driver signing to know avail. Just a tad lost now.

Has anyone got this running yet?

Thanx guys

Seg

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Not sure what else for you to try. Perhaps check the BIOS boot order and make sure the IDE controller is booted before the SATA drives?

For the SATA drives, make sure you have created a RAID array. I don't think that old controller is bootable unless you create a RAID array...I could be wrong though.

7. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Thanks for trying everything. It just seems that these CPU's are not stable when scaling. I really wish AMD published the specs for these.

8. hitman936

hitman936 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2010
    #369 hitman936, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    Hi tqhoang

Thanks for all your help and time spent trying to help me with these CPU i will just run them till they over heat and die but they stop at 64 and does not get any higher one thing that a can say they perform well using as a network nas box with ubuntu installed i get 77MBs transfer speed so i can live with the CPU temps for now

Many Thanks
    Hitman936
    :worthy:

Attached Files:

9. bigfella

bigfella MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    Hi tqhoang
    First thanks for you help. Second have now managed to solve problem as a result of your directions. Have listed the solution below which may help others.

1. Loaded BIOS 218B.
    2. Configured the RAID.
    3. Downloaded the SIL 3114 drivers from the Microsoft Catalogue site onto a USB stick.
    4. Loaded up SBS 2008, when it asked for Disk to load onto - loaded up the RAID drivers, which enabled SBS to see the RAID drive.
    5. SBS completed install.
    6. All running Sweet now.

Many thanks once again.

Bigfella

10. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #371 tqhoang, Aug 16, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
    So what happened with the IDE drive?

Which BIOS did you go with? The stock BIOS 2.18B or one of my modded ones with a newer Silicon Image ROM? I'd still like to hear if one of mine are running ok.

11. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    I have read and printed this whole thread (I needed 25% of the rain forrest to do this :( ) Can I ask exactly how you got Windows Home Server (Vail) 64 bit to work on your system?
    I purchased this thinking it would be simple (as I am a novice at all this kind of stuff) and I would have at least one opperating system on the puter by now. I purchased the box from Charles Computers on e-bay. I will do more searching this evening if you need the exact specs to the computer!

12. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    I can't send a PM due to being a new boy here (this is only my second post! :(

13. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    3rd post I will soon be able to PM you all :)

Seg, did you get the Sata drive to work? I assume your installing the OS on the swapable drive nt that it makes a difference!

14. pigfarmer44

pigfarmer44 MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2010
    hi all, I bought one of these rackable systems 2u servers from charles computers with 1gb of ram installed. I thoroughly read this thread before i bought it. I now have server 2008 R2 running on it no probs with all drivers working. I also tested freenas 0.7 and smoothwall express on this server and both work fine. smoothwall doesnt need sata because it will run nicely on an old 15gb ide drive i had lying around. freenas sees the raid controller but i loaded the os onto another ide hdd. so all good there.

as for server 2008 R2, it was a bit of a trial, but i will try and list the method i used.

firstly, i upgraded the bios to 218b (the link is posted in this thread in post #72) i paid 4 dollars to bootdisk.com and i used the FLASHCD utility with ultraiso to make a bootable cd to do this for me. I used the following in a bat file (phlash16 /mode=3 /c /bbl /x 218b.rf4 ). then i upgraded to the unofficial sil bios V5.5 whic i found in this thread in post #79. i created another bootable cd using ultra iso and the bat file was (phlash16 /mode=3 /c /x BIOS.ROM ) i renamed the .rom from this thread to BIOS.ROM.

both of these flashings worked with no problems. I then installed 2008 R2 onto an ide drive in the server. all the drivers were recognised except the nics and the raid controller. i went to the hdama download page (wwwdotarimacorp.com/server/Product/ViewDownload.asp?View=HDAMA%20rev.G) and grabbed the network drivers 8.39.1.0.A . i used the windows server 2003 x64 drivers and got both of the nic's working.

when i installed win7 on this machine, i allowed it to update automatically and it installed the raid controller drivers automatically, but no such luck for server2008. after a large amount of trial and error, i found a driver on the page (wwwdotsiliconimage.com/support/searchresults.aspx?pid=28&cat=3&os=8) its the third download in the list version number 1.0.15.0. before i installed this driver i enabled driver signing in gpedit.msc and set it to ignore. the driver then installed fine. i can now see the 500gb sata drive i have plugged in.

a couple of points. dont try the slic loader to activate the os, it doesnt work on this motherboard for win 7 or server 2008 R2. however removewat works fine. Also i found that if i did the updates from microsoft in 2008 R2, the system goes into a restore loop when you restart the machine. so i havent updated yet, but i am sure someone on here will be able to solve this issue.

so now i am going to buy a couple more of these servers. one for windows server 2008r2, one for freenas, and one for smoothwall express. the freenas will serve hd movies to my dreambox 800hd, the smoothwall will be my router and firewall, and the windows box will serve music (mainly FLACS) to the squeezebox i am hoping to get for my birthday. both the freenas and the windows box will serve movies and music around my network to my kids and wifes pcs. freenas has the transmission bit torrent client, but i might install utorrent onto the windows box. i will then be able to put all three of these servers in a closet and access them remotely either using web based gui's (freenas and smoothwall) or remote desktop for the windows box.

sorry for the ramble, but i felt that this thread was so useful, i had to come on and thank all the folks who made this process do-able.

Cheers

Simon.

15. Chris84

Chris84 MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2010
    #377 Chris84, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Bios crashed

Hi all,

It seems that i may have found this site to late, as like one of the other replies on here, i purchased arima hdama g 12 bay rackable system from charles computers after spending many of months on and off trying to get the thing running smoothly, i recently tried to update the system.

I installed various update including a bios update from riowork, and well lets say i think its now Broke...

The update i installed HDAMA 184.

Well now basically i can even get it to POST.

Sorry guys just an update managed to get it working again, something with the bios.

BEFORE i go any further could someone please help, The board i have is Hdama Riowork believe it rev G but not sure, i have dual processors and 4GB, 6 x 1TB drives, 1 x ide DVD rom 1 x IDE WD 120GB BOOT DISC,

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO GET RUNNING, is either windows 7 or windows home server 2008.

could anyone please provide where to get the bios updates so i can get everything work, as i keep hit brick wall(blue screen)

a Step by Step guild would be good if someone would mind.

many thanks to you all.

Does anyone have any idea.

PLEASE!!!

16. illingworth22

illingworth22 MDL Novice

Aug 18, 2010
    Simon,

Not wanting to sound like a total numpty (which I may well be :) ) there are 3 connectors on the board, I assume one is for the floppy and 2 are for CD/HD. do you know which is primary and which is slave/ Will this make a difference? The CD drive (which I have connected) appears in the bios but I can't seem to boot from them!