ARIMA HDAMA G Bios upgrade to allow Server 2008

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dogzdinner, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Flynn-Gannon

Flynn-Gannon MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2010
    HDAMA Different Revisions?

Sorry to butt into the convo, but I recently bought a HDAMA board and of course found the ACPI problem. Here is my question. I THINK i have the rev D board. Will the rev G bios be a problem? Or am i just thinking about this in the wrong direction?

2. dogzdinner

dogzdinner MDL Novice

Dec 10, 2009
    I 'think' you'll have to use the pre-G bios version!

3. Flynn-Gannon

Flynn-Gannon MDL Novice

Jan 4, 2010
    Figures. LOL The main reason for my question was that I'm trying to install Windows 7 on it and the highest BIOS revision for the REV D board is 1.89 which doesn't fix the problem. Does anyone have any ideas maybe?

4. mikos

mikos MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2010
    Has anyone had any further luck with installing Server 2008 on these Rev.G HDAMA boards? I picked up a few of these cheap Rackable Systems servers on eBay hoping they will run 2008 but run into the ACPI issue, even after upgrading to BIOS 2.17.

They install XP and Server 2003 R2 fine (if a little sluggish) but cannot for the life of me get 2008 on them. It appears Microsoft have also removed the F5 on boot to set a Standard-PC HAL when installing Server 2008 which hasnt helped!

I installed 2008 in a spare machine and then shoved that HD into the Rackable server and it still complained about ACPI compatability on a BSOD during boot.

Is there ANY WAY of getting 2008 to ignore the ACPI compatability??!?!!

Mike.

5. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #45 tqhoang, Jan 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Someone run ACPIDUMP

Can one of you with an HDAMA revG with BIOS 2.17 dump your ACPI tables?

If you download something like the Fedora 12 Live CD, you can use the attached "acpidump" utility to send me the attachment. I'm curious to see if I can see anything drastically different in the decompiled ASL code.

1. Boot Fedora 12 Live CD
    2. Login and change dir to /tmp directory. (ex: cd /tmp)
    3. Copy the acpidump.zip file to PC. (use floppy, cd, usb, or download directly from this forum)
    4. Extract the acpidump executable and change the permissions to be executable. (unzip acpidump.zip; chmod 755 acpidump)
    5. Switch to the root user, dump the ACPI tables. (ex: su - ; cd /tmp; ./acpidump > acpidump.txt)
    6. Zip the output file and send it to me or post in this thread.

Attached Files:

6. nonamenone

nonamenone MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2009
    Is there a windows version of Acpidump I can use to get this for you?

7. anonymik

anonymik MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
  8. anonymik

anonymik MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2010
    Bump - was the Output from my system any good?

9. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Can you also provide an RW-Everything report? I was only looking to see if there were any illegal version numbers or something "out of spec" according to the Microsoft "ACPI in Windows Vista" slides (Google for "CPA002_WH06.ppt").

10. yeahiwishiwas

yeahiwishiwas MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2010
    Oh please let there be some progress on this issue! I've got the exact same problem, just bought a bunch of these machines but I'm getting the ACPI compliant blue screen right after the first loading bar when trying to install Server 2008.

Not sure how to tell which version of the motherboard I've got... anybody know how to discern whether I have A or B or G?

11. TRJS

TRJS MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    Good question... I haven't seen anything printed on the mainboard, and CPU-Z doesn't give any information on the revision of the board either. Anyone with a hint how to find out the revision of the board?

12. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Most likely printed on the actual board itself

Seb

13. yeahiwishiwas

yeahiwishiwas MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2010
    I checked over the board but I can't find any indication of which revision it is. In any case I flashed it with the latest rev G bios, and everything seems to be working. That is to say, everything seems to be working as well as it did before... I still get a BSOD at the same point when trying to install windows server 2k8 because of the acpi issue.

Is there anything I can post to increase the chance of someone finding a solution?

14. yeahiwishiwas

yeahiwishiwas MDL Novice

Feb 26, 2010
    Yep, it's definitely a rev G. I checked out some of the other identical machines I have.

Looking at the BIOS revision history, the last update was years ago to fix the same kind of issue (not ACPI compliant bsod during install) for Server 2k3. So surely there is a way to update it to work with 2k8 as well... can anyone offer any further help?

15. TRJS

TRJS MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    #56 TRJS, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    Is there actually someone working on a solution? I don't want to sound impatient (I can wait as long as it needs), just wanted to know if there's a chance for a solution or if I should better install Server 2003 on the board.

16. simplifistication

simplifistication MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2010
    Really keen also to understand a solution to this. Probably like most, I managed to pick this up really cheap, but its only cheap if I can get past the AcPI issue. I want to run Homeserver on it so I can use the smart NAS capability and media streaming.

Cheers

S

:worthy: