ARIMA HDAMA G Bios upgrade to allow Server 2008

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dogzdinner, Dec 10, 2009.

1. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #102 mateuszd, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Ok. I will do this later. But I can not modify the iso you created for me because it is seen as empty although it works. would you be able to recreate one for me later when i get bios rom i want?

I am unsure about PowerNow support because I want to upgrade ram to 4gb...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #103 mateuszd, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Post not needed any more...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Open it in Poweriso, Action/Boot/Edit boot

sebus

4. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Thank you, I did not think of that solution...

Now, I have this server working, activated Windows Server 2008 R2 + no driver signature problem + new BIOS and SI 5.5.00 version.

I am wondering why does my RAID Configuration Tool (the BIOS one F4) shows me that it can create the following raids: 0, 1, 5, (1 + 0) 10.
    RAID 5?? People said it was not supported!

5. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Ok, I stand corrected. I guess Silicon Image wasn't lying when they call it "SATARAID5".

Of course RAID-5 might be pretty slow. You're better off doing RAID 1+0 unless you really need the space.

6. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    I figured out how to make it non-RAM specific. Let me know if you want to try it out. I'll need you to download a Linux LiveCD and use it to get what Linux believes are the correct PowerNow voltages for your CPU's.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is great, 5+ months & over 100 post later there is full solution to the original post!!!

sebus

8. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    yes. It works.
    Regarding to RAID 5, why would it be slow?
    If I don't have PowerNow, will it decrease lifetime of processors or something else?

The driver I use is an old inf file and new sys file. Because none of the new drivers worked!?

9. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    #110 tqhoang, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    RAID-5 involves doing a parity calculation that is being done on your CPU's. You might not notice it at all, but if you're doing something like video editing, you might want to benchmark both RAID-10 and RAID-5 configurations (provided you have 4 hard drives).

As long as the processors are adequately cooled, you're fine. What the PowerNow will do is save you money in terms of electricity and also make the Opterons not heat up your room unless they're under heavy load. I'm a fan of CPU scaling, so it was important to me to figure out how to create working PSS objects in the ACPI DSDT table.

Can you upload your INF file? Also under Windows Device Manager, can upload a screen shot that has the "Details->Hardware Ids" of your Silicon Image Controller?

BTW how did you get around the driver signature problem? (forgive my ignorance, since I've never had to disable it via F8)

10. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #111 mateuszd, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
    I am now struggling with the server literally hanging (mouse not moving, not responding to network, not doing anything with hdd, no shutting down when the button pressed) after working for about an hour, I will post the driver later and probably do PowerNow.

Should I just reinstall Windows and see if that helps?

EDIT: Windows reinstalled, power savings disabled and the problem still exists.
    :( Not good...

11. zerosum

zerosum MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2010
    Hi mateuszd,

Take a look at the CPU temperatures under hardware monitor in BIOS. Mine was playing all sorts of silly buggers until I noticed the processors were running hot - removed heatsinks, cleaned and reapplied thermal compound and weird behaviour vanished. Can't promise this is your problem but give it a look. From the age of these servers and the fact that some of them (certainly here in the UK) are listed on eBay as unused, I'd guess the TIM is drying out and losing it's effectiveness.

Hope this helps.

12. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    CPU0 = 43C
    CPU1 = 47C

Their temperatures vary around these temperatures, I tried changing BIOS settings but it still keeps freezing after I use it and leave it for some time.

13. warmo

warmo MDL Novice

Nov 29, 2009
    cannot wait to try this have been wanting to give server 2008 r2 a go having just done a complete upgrade to windows 7 on all computers in home all prev on vista and the server was the only thing lagging behind on server 2003 :) cheers to all the hard work

14. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Can you see if your Windows 2008 R2 hangs if you leave it idle for at least an hour?

15. weilo

weilo MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2010
    Any work on non revision board yet?

16. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    I don't think so :(
    Can you not get the rev.g board? It's cheap.

17. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Have you tried to see if your problems are related with going into standby and/or hibernation?

18. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And did you run full memcheck? Last time I had this symptoms one stick was buggered

sebus

19. mateuszd

mateuszd MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    1. I don't even have an option to Standby or Hibernate in Start Menu.
    2. I will try swapping ram sticks.
    3. I get an "Corrected Memory Error" quite frequently in my Event Log.

Any suggestions... Please I want to get this problemful server working...