Asus P5Q SE Plus Motherboard

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Robbiel, May 9, 2011.

1. Robbiel

Robbiel MDL Novice

May 9, 2011
    Update.
    Just got word back from a computer repair company and the motherboard is dead!!! I rang the guy who I bought it from and his phone is "not connected". So since I have the few componants like CPU Intel core 2 duo E6600 2.4Ghz chip and fan, 2GB ram and a decent graphics card Im looking to get a NEW motherboard and was looking at Asrock G31M-GS R2 Skt 775 M-ATX or ASRock G31M-VS2 M-ATX or Asus P5QPL-AM SKT 775 S/V/L M-ATX or Asus P5G41T-M LX3 SKT-775 M-ATX 1333FSB. Can I ask your opinion on them if they are worth while investing in as I wont be doing anything demanding on the PC. Thanks again guys.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

I only have practical experiences regarding Asus. But 'I have heard' that Asrock makes decent boards as well, more situated at the lower price level...

You have chosen smaller µ-ATX boards this time. Make sure your case is compatible with µ(M)-ATX.

AFAIK the P5QPL-PM uses the older DDR2 memory, the P5G41T-M DDR3 already. (The notch at DDR2 is almost centred, whereas at DDR3 it's more out of the center).
    So if you have got memory already one of both boards wouldn't fit.

The P5G41T-M is a bit 'newer' regarding technology even though they have the same chipset (Intel G41 /ICH7 ).....recent boards are using DDR3 memory as well.

I always recommend Asus, so you probably would like to hear another opinion as well.:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    +1 what Yen said
    I would go for Gigabyte but that's not what you listed so I'll just comment on that. AsRock is part of Asus, more like the budget section.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    #24 NoJuan999, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
    I like Medium to Higher End Gigabyte MB's also.
    I never Skimp on the MB when Building myself a system, but I also OC all my builds.

Just be sure to read some unbiased Reviews of ANY MB you intend to purchase.

And yes, ASRock is a subsidiary of ASUS.
    They have been given a bit more money and freedom in the last few years so they are putting out some decent MBs.

5. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :D You posted outside BIOS mods! I generally avoid High end parts, just find the mid range or performance version with similar features. Really who needs a board with 4 PCIe x16 slots. :eek:

6. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
    LOL !
    I do post elsewhere Occasionally.
    But, you're right in most cases the Mid-Level or Performce Versions will fill your needs.
    I personally choose a MB that will Fit my Specific Needs.
    I'm Currrently using a GA-P55A-UD4P with an i7-870 OC'd to 3.8GHZ and RAM OC'd to 1700MHz (from 1600) and I'm Very Happy with this MB.
    I was just stressing that he should look for a Quality made MB, and not settle for a Low Quality MB in order to save a few dollars.

And As I said Always read as many Reviews as you can if you find a MB you are interested in.