Best Android Phone?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by Yen, Dec 9, 2010.

1. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Yep i rather the open source nature of android. Like how the talented guys on the net get requests and they often fill the apps requests. Makes the community what it is, and there is plenty of smart people not in corporations just doing it for fun.

The android thing is just as good as ios, even though apple fans may think its cheap, we like many others prefer it. I would rather not get apple stuff, as like we all know being locked down to what they want. Its like you lease the product and your not the owner.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes, and the customers even don't notice about, because they are brainwashed by apple's commercials.

Exactly. It is made for programmers who can use the source code, for enthusiasts who can use custom cooked roms, or modify it by themselves and for 'normal' users who can simply use the stock ROM which is fine already.

You can get the Android SDK and all tools for free (e.g. to decompile an app or to have an android environment on PC). You can access the phones from a PC via ADB (android debug bridge).

The syntax is Unix based, for windows users a bit unfamiliar.
    I like the politics of Google. Open source for android and the most important manufacturers of mobile phones are using it. (HTC, Samsung...and many others).
    Soon android will become number one. Many enthusiasts spend their spare time to make customizations, voluntarily. (Cyanogen MOD, for instance). They have fun and Google and the phone manufacturers take also profit.

But I guess there will be anytime customers for apple. These are people who need to show what they have....and hence they are always taken in by Apple's commercials
    I do not blame apple for their products, they just make the most of the stupidity of humans.

IPhone user to somebody: "Have a look at my great IPhone, I have got one!"
    Somebody:" Wow, it's very trendy, now you belong to the elite of phone users! Now you are a made man."

Android user to somebody:" Have a look at my android phone, I had a few bucks left and got one and styled it."
    Somebody:" Wow, this is also android? It always looks different and has various great features installed. You simply are clever and cool."

Lol....:)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Bosh

Bosh MDL Developer

May 30, 2010
    Samsung Galaxy S II :D

Although I'm a Nokia N8 owner

4. Arvelog

Arvelog MDL Novice

Jul 5, 2011
    HTC Sensation and Samsung GALAXY S II

5. MrKaon

MrKaon MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Now the Best is SGS II next to it HTC Sensation

6. stevesingh

stevesingh MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2011
    I have samsung galaxy S . I am totally satisfied with it .

7. Kalliedog

Kalliedog MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    HTC TITAN. Amazing phone.

8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I bought a samsung galaxy gio (s5660) last friday. It's not "the best phone" but it's pretty good for only €150.
    It's my first smartphone and first android phone, and I must say that android is awesome!

9. Fylo

Fylo MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2011
    I have an EVO 4G and it's amazing.

10. communicator

communicator MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2011
    can someone tell me which would be an android phone with the best battery life???
    with battery life i mean how long can 1 charge last with heavy usage!!!

i have the lg optimus one & it is pathetic when it comes to battery...i sometimes have to charge it thrice a day!!!

i also have the samsung galaxy apollo...it has battery life better than the optimus...can last a day with heavy usage...but i need some more suggestions please!!!

11. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    :eek:That will depend entirely on your usage, most will function perfectly well as just a phone but if you throw in things like video/audio playback, heavy internet usage and gaming then no phone will be good enough.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes. I had the same experience. Android is awesome! I wonder why I have waited such a long time to try for it.
    It declassifies windows mobile and IOS by far.
    IOS, why to go voluntarily into jail to jailbreak after???? Am I stupid???

I am able to notice now how bad windows and IOS really are.
    Android can be customized and themed as you like. And it looks awesome and runs fastly and smoothly...remember Vistas attempt to run animated wallpapers (dream scene)? Offered as a special for Ultimate users? Ridiculous!
    Others are still brainwashed ..metro UI..lol..just embarrassing.:)

13. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
  14. RawData

RawData MDL Member

Mar 4, 2008
    No wonder. After rooting mine and installing few useful apps, the only thing I'm missing is call recording.
    It was working (with 3rd party patch) with FroYo, but I don't want to downgrade just for that.

A friend of mine dropped his brand new SGS to water and it still worked over a year. Recently he got SGS+ as replacement and gave the old one to me. Unfortunately for him, there's still no good way to root his new phone. As I have now two, the second one works as a backup phone for me. Go SGS! :D

15. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    @Yen

As a long time Android user I agree that Android is awesome.

Windows Phone 7, however, is awesome too! I feel that WP7 is much more streamlined and polished than Android, and from a regular users perspective, not having access to the kernel is not a problem. It's not a bad OS in any way, but might not be the choice for everyone. Metro UI on the phone is IMO brilliant, but maybe not so much on a regular computer. I wouldn't call myself brainwashed, but some of my friends might agree with you.

Some shortcomings I've had though, 1) Market is locked in my country (solved in Mango Beta), 2) the OS doesn't recognize two phone numbers as equal with/without country codes (not solved in Mango Beta).

A major advantage over Android is that WP7 uses the phones GPU for all its drawing operations. This was not the case with Android the last time I checked (might have been fixed now?). Compared to any WP7 device, even the Galaxy S2 feels laggy to me - scrolling etc (none of my Android-friends agree with me on this, all of my WP7-friends does :p).

Note that as a registered WP7 developer I haven't had to deal with a device lock. I do not intent do start a war, but wanted to share my (different) opinion on this matter.

Best Android phone? Galaxy S2, though I prefer HTC Sense, so maybe HTC Sensation :plane:

16. thehaksharif

thehaksharif MDL Novice

Sep 25, 2011
    Personally i think the Galaxy S2 will be the best android phone, I have used the Galaxy S and i have to say it was a very good phone. at the moment im using an iPhone 3GS temporarily, was going to buy the Galaxy S2 but with the iPhone 5 only round the corner, i suppose i will just go for that

However i would say Galaxy S2 is the best android phone, the specs are just top notch, so its well worth the money.

17. communicator

communicator MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2011
    so far i have used the lg optimus one...the samsung galaxy apollo...the motorola charm...the htc wildfire...the sonyericsson w8...i can undoubtedly say android is the worst os when it comes to battery life!!!

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Battery life depends on hardware (screen / screen size and resolution and battery), primarily, not on the OS. The screen eats most of the juice. So the battery life at HTC is mostly worse than at super AMOLEDs of Samsung.

The battery life at HTC HD2 is the same, no matter if ran with windows mobile or custom Android ROM for instance.
    I personally cannot confirm your experience on that.

To figure it out you have to use the same device with different OSes installed, not to compare different models..IMHO.
    It also depends on the usage, what you are doing with it. My Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.3.4 lasts 15 days when making one short call every day only.
    But it needs to be recharged after ~6 hours when making video calls over 3G. (Screen always on, brightness full, camera on, heavy CPU usage....)