Beware: Microsoft is removing Group Policy options from Windows 10 PRO

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hb860, Jul 28, 2016.

1. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    I learned this long ago. Previously Windows 10240 allowed a specific hardware ID to be added to group policy so that windows does not update it's drivers automatically. But since TH2 builds, Windows simply ignores that setting and updates your drivers regardless. Since then I am stuck on 2015 driver for my Intel Ethernet I219-V. Even if I install any 2016 drivers, Windows thinks that the 2015 driver is latest and overrides them.

2. MsftGaurav

MsftGaurav MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    Looks like you haven't read about the "Consumer experiences" feature. It has nothing to do with what apps you have used before. These apps are automatically selected by MS to install on your PC because they thought the user should discover them. I am not an app user at all so I never even open the Store.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gnugeek

gnugeek MDL Member

Nov 23, 2009
    That is correct.

Sometimes people spread so much misinformation here that it is baffling.:(

4. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Think what opportunities this opens for third party app developers.
    As windows wont allow you to do things anymore that you were used to do before.
    The Chinese and Russians are going to have a field day!
    (Many of whom are talented members in this community i'd assume)

They are going to tear this system to shreds!,
    and people are going to be more than willing to d/l these "fixes",
    making Win 10 a swiss cheese of security holes, just so you can get back what you lost.
    What annoys people the most is the loose of control, and they can go to any length to get it back.

Every time MS challenges the community they loose BIG TIME !

It will be like this folks:
    Ohh I can't disable lockscreen anymore with gpedit?
    Hmmm, after some googling I found an app + a registry tweak and some resource hacked system files,
    Well?, let's go with that!

Other people will disable MS update all together, as they will be scared to loose even more functionality.
    Right now you can postpone updates with gpedit, and choose when to d/l, but who knows for how long?
    Again, a third party solution will be found,(As it's impossible for MS to force you to update if
    you really don't want to)

A fine example of MS purge of functionality in gpedit is when i recently wanted to remove the annoying
    "Smilie" crap, in the upper right corner of IE11, I found the policy that was supposed to remove it,
    applied it, and NOTHING happened.
    There was no mention of it not working in Pro, it just didn't work.
    THEN, after a update, the functionality mysteriously reappeared.

I don't trust this system, it's as simple as that.

Clever move by MS?, YOU be the judge.......:g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. daveo76

daveo76 MDL Expert

Nov 9, 2009
    I put my vote in. Makes me wonder what is Microsoft will remove from Group Policy for Windows 10 Pro

6. gozmon

gozmon MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2016
    I have w10 pro
    Can someone link me to a easy to follow dummy tutorial to this so called group policy everyone talks about in the forums, and how do i access and configure it

7. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    #48 dobbelina, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    Ha ha ha!!!

You guys wont believe what just happened.
    I tried to use the above feedback function and was asked to login with my MS account.
    Did so, and was asked to verify my identity with a SMS.
    No problem there, BUT, a interesting thing then happened, when i rebooted my machine i was welcomed with the dreaded lockscreen!!! (Ironic isn't it)

Ok, no big deal you might think, but THEN my local login account had been "hijacked" and I was slammed in the face with a login prompt to my garbage MS account!!
    It said "Welcome garbage user" lol! :eek:
    You see I don't have a password on this particular machine, and I never planned to have one, as it's only dedicated to watch Tv with.

Geees I'm angry now!!!
    I managed to regain control of my machine in the User account settings, but have totally lost interest in
    giving any feedback to Satan.
    I virtually feel like i was sucked into the cloud, scary.

Thanks Bill :worthy:

8. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Your story of inattention interested to nobody here.
    cheers

9. gdfsgdfg

gdfsgdfg MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2012
    Well damn were gonna need an easy to way to upgrade to a cracked enterprise at this point.

10. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    #52 Garbellano, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    good luck with that...

and I think this is part of the plan. I mean, the real "pro" want to move to enterprise, which, you will have to pay a montly fee to use it (what the F***!!), and following this line, its matter of time this move to "pro", home and maybe to education.

11. dobbelina

Apr 2, 2009
    There will be 2 types of users using Win 10 in the future,
    Those that get sucked into the cloud, anesthetized with the cozy feeling of MS anal retention,
    and those that do all they can to avoid it, finding solutions to maintain some kind of dignity and
    privacy, and perhaps most important of all, CONTROL.....

In the latter group, many of these will be mydigitallife forum members.

12. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    You are 100% right.

13. dmex

dmex MDL Junior Member

Apr 20, 2011
    These apps certainly help users discover the uninstall option.

The lock screen serves absolutely no purpose for desktop users. It's inclusion on the desktop in the first place and the recent decision to remove the option to disable the feature looks to me as being something aimed entirely at companies who skirt around licencing and purchase the Professional edition instead of XYZ.

The fact that feedback entry received a response from MS with only 20 votes (some of mine have over 70 votes and no response!) also makes me believe they know full well that some users will be highly aggravated but have already decided its necessary for whatever reason(s) but will only re-introduce at a later time (if there's enough feedback from users demanding the feature) after the real goal has been achieved.

Either way it's important to upvote the issues you want addressed or Microsoft will never do anything about it :/

14. JayPea

JayPea MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2009
    How long are we going to give it before our forced lock screen has a McDonalds (or targetted ad if you're stupid enough to give MS all your telemetry) adverts plastered all over it? I reckon 12 months.

Looks like I'll be using Windows 10 Enterprise Illigitimately Activiated Edition from here on out. Cheers, MS!

15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    If they kill off group policy editor in 10 pro, I will have no choice but to use linux on my laptops which I don't play games on. I already dual boot windows 10 and linux mint on all my machines. I'll need windows 10 for gaming on my gaming rig only while I'm gaming. I'm not going to rely on "cracked" enterprise edition and I'll tell you why: If microsoft is this serious about removing customization of windows, I also see no reason why they wouldn't make it as hard as they can for us by randomly changing KMS methods for the Enterprise version, but I hope I'm wrong on that. Short of using cracked enterprise, what are our options? Use the last version of 10 Pro that group policy editor worked on and disable the windows update service permanently? That's not a solution. And the general public can't be bothered to worry about spending days to study and use workarounds to try to fix this problem. If Microsoft is trying to push people to use Linux, they're doing a damned good job of it. Removing or severely limiting group policy editor is a deal-breaker for me. It's why I'm using the Pro version on everything - because I can have some control. If they remove that control I'll begin putting all of my efforts into making linux do what I use MS's OS's for. This is just ridiculous beyond words.

16. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    But it is possible to disable the fun tips displayed on Lock screen at the Settings. People need to look further into it and disable what they might find disturbing.

17. JayPea

JayPea MDL Junior Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Yeah, I don't want the lock screen, tips or any of that s**t. They can use those ideas as a suppository as far as I'm concerned.

18. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Then simply disable it at the Settings. At least, there is an option for that one.