Bios modd doesnt work anymore?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chris2407, Mar 26, 2008.

1. motaba

motaba MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2007
    #21 motaba, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
    all i can think of is that the award mod process, esp. with isa method, is not always 100%, therefore they suggest to insert as isa2 or isa3 modules instead,

I had a laptop that was activated (bios mod) untill one day it went straight into reduce function mode, even b4 sp1 was installed - had me stumped, i had to bypass the RFM and entered a different OEM key for the version of vista i was using (ultimate), kept the same bios mod and the same digital licence, just changed the key and presto it reactivated - i suspected fir some reason it didnt like the key but that is weird cause it was one of the general oem keys used millions of times throughout the world.

we need yen back to solve this ****.

2. spawn2002

spawn2002 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2008
    Same licence message

My machine has started giving a "backup important files,licence has so many days" message.As it stands now 7 days till the licence expires.Vista & Everest though still say activated,WGATool says genuine & activated.Do we seem to be any closer to an answer with this problem??Is it just a quirk of Award bios's?:confused:

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #23 Yen, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    i still have this problem and now i have only 7 days left to activate even everywhere it says my vista is fully activated.

I will buy an original oem vista tomorrow what can i do to activate my system using this original licence? I want to remove the bios modd and activate my original licence without re installing vista.

many thanks!!!

5. pecko88

pecko88 MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2008
    You can nto install OEM Vista unless your bios has SLIC in it.

6. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    if i buy an original vista DVD and enter an original unused vista key it doesnt work if i dont have an modded bios with SLIC in it?? That cant be true then why is microsoft selling vista ?

7. spawn2002

spawn2002 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2008
    Attention YEN

Hiya Yen,followed your directions & reset the licensing.Seems odd though that WGATOOL tells me Genuine but Everest now tells me 25 days left to activate.Always thought Vista's grace period was 30 days.Did get an error after the first reboot(of the 2nd stage)that I had an undefined error,enter a different product key or contact ASUS.After the 2nd reboot though I am just left with a non activated OS.Question:Should I just use a different ASUS key & hope that it is just a glitch with the key?
    TIA for your time.:)

8. spawn2002

spawn2002 MDL Novice

Mar 26, 2008
    #28 spawn2002, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2008

Attached Files:

9. newt182

newt182 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2008
    wrong. OEM vista dvds come with a unique key

10. jroc

jroc MDL Member

Aug 28, 2007
    if you installed the 'enterprise' edition..that is your problem..that is a Volume License mainly for 'Business' and requires activation via Key Server...if you install a Ultimate Edition with the Ultimate Key and Proper Certificate you should be ok.

11. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    i installed the home premium version and want to buy an OEM Premium version. I only have 6 days left now. How can i activate my system with the original key after i got unactivated? is that possible without re installing vista?

12. pecko88

pecko88 MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2008
    #32 pecko88, Apr 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  13. newt182

newt182 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2008
    for some reason vista SP1 can see that u have modded ur BIOS.
    just enter the new key and u will be permantly activated. the modded BIOS wont effect it.

thats what im doing.. just gonna buy an OEM premium key.. at least u dont have to worry about not being activated in the future.

14. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Oem & Retail

@chris2407 & newt182,

Just my 2 cents....

I think you are both confusing OEM with RETAIL.

RETAIL Vista DVDs purchased at W**mart or B***buy, for example, each have a unique CDkey/PID and will install on virtually any machine, but require internet (or phone) activation with Microsoft. These DO NOT require a SLIC in the BIOS. These versions of Vista are supported directly by Microsoft.

OEM Vista DVDs are typically provided by the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturers such as HP, Sony, Dell, etc) and they allow their customers to bypass the regular activation process by using a SLIC in the BIOS combined with a CERT & Key/PID that must all "match". These versions of Vista are supported directly by the OEM and NOT Microsoft (except in the case of SP1 upgrade issues which is being supported for free by MS for the next year).

There are some places that will sell you an OEM DVD but beware!! These were licensed by Microsoft to be sold only with a computer and if it is a branded (Dell, Gateway, etc) DVD/Package it likely will NOT work on your computer without the proper SLIC in BIOS. In this case, neither the OEM or MS will provide support!

15. adrian77

adrian77 MDL Novice

Mar 30, 2008
    3080F22_ASUS3.WPH HP Pavilion ze2000

hier is the report for Fzeven:

Attached Files:

16. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    2centsworth....

Vista Product Keys are split into 3 major groups, Retail, OEM(SLP, NONSLP, COA) and VLK (MAK, GVLK, CSVLK)
    Retail - What can be purchased in shops or online
    Suported by Microsoft. Needs activation by phone or online.
    OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer (more info here)
    (i.e., shipped with a new computer). OEM editions are distributed and supported by an OEM (not Microsoft)
    OEM:SLP - (System Locked Pre-installation) These keys are preinstalled by the OEM. Data embedded in the BIOS (SLIC), is used to validate the key. SLP keys will work with any OEM SLP system, regardless of the OEM system’s brand. This are the only keys that are able to bypass activation that is, perform offline activation without contacting Microsoft.
    OEM:NONSLP - (Non System Locked Pre-installation) Similar to Retail, but distributed and supported by an OEM. Needs activation by phone or online.
    OEM:COA - (Certificate of Authentication) (more info here) The OEM:COA (for Vista that comes with a OEM:SLP key pre-installed by OEM) key would be required if a reinstallation is needed, the COA should be affixed to the body of the computer. Needs activation by phone or online.
    VLK - Volume Licensing Key (more info here)
    Activation done online via KMS server.
    VLK:MAK - Multiple Activation Key
    VLK:GVLK - Group Volume License Key
    VLK:CSVLK - Microsoft Customer Support Volume License Key

17. FuzzyMaster

FuzzyMaster MDL Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Oops...

@newt182,

You're correct. I partly misunderstood what you were discussing and could have explained myself better for sure!

I was focussing on RETAIL and OEM:SLP (as further described by 2centsworth) mostly because OEM:SLP is what the modders on this forum are dealing with.

I was also trying to point out (perhaps a little unsuccessfully) that you need to know exactly what you are buying with OEM:NONSLP versions of Vista since you may not end up with what you thought you were getting.

VLK is yet another beast entirely due to the KMS server....

@2centsworth,
    Good list !!!

18. chris2407

chris2407 MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2008
    i have only 1 day left and still everywhere in my system it says activated but i still get these popup messages saying i need to activate. So tomorrow i will know if my vista will realy be unactivated then.

I hope that i can activate it again using an original vista licence.

I will let you know.

19. Begajul

Begajul MDL Novice

Apr 1, 2008
    lol looks like we have teh same problem, 1 day left here also.