Bios Recovery Procedures

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by petar, May 9, 2008.

1. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    I think the important thing is to be using the same version of the BIOS when updating to the modded one. Sometimes a new BIOS revision will make major changes, and the CMOS settings from the older version are now invalid and have to be cleared.

If you're already using the same version you may not have to reflash the original one, but it still is the safest way. On one of my motherboards when I tried updating from one mod to another it said "downgrade not allowed" even though they were the same version. After flashing with the original BIOS and rebooting I didn't get the message and it updated fine.

2. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    i still don't get it..

so u mean, the safest way if i'm gonna flash bios v.13 (modded), i should flash bios v.13 (original) before?

what i'm trying to tell u here is, write about it at the first post, "the safest procedure flashing modded bios & updating modded bios from previous modded bios"

so, no one make same mistake like i did!
    i think i read about that somewhere in this forum a long time ago.. but obviously, i can't record about it in my brain.. i thought it doesn't need to flash the original bios before attempting modded bios..

i hope u get what i mean..
    really sorry for my english..

thx..

3. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    You should at least be running some kind of the bios v.13. Going from a modded v.13 to another modded v.13 will probably work in most cases.

When you go from an older version such as v.12 to a newer version such as v.13, there may be BIOS settings that are now incorrect that have to be cleared out and setup defaults loaded in order to boot properly.

If the BIOS settings are incorrect it may be more difficult to recover from a problem, ex. if you needed to automatically boot to a floppy to flash again.

If your current BIOS is the same revision as the mod that you are flashing to, then your current BIOS settings will probably still be correct after the flash, and you could recover more easily if you needed to.

What is perhaps more important is to flash from DOS, not Windows. Since the Windows flash utility got stuck while erasing the BIOS it probably wouldn't have made a difference what BIOS you were flashing from or flashing to. The Windows flash utility wasn't reliable.

zort

4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #104 petar, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. bibia

bibia MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    thx, zort 'n petar..

@zort,
    i'm still confuse about this..
    what i'm trying to say: should i flash into the original bios first, before flash into the modded bios, IF THE CURRENT BIOS IS ALSO A MODDED-PREVIOUS-VERSION BIOS?

i mean like this:
    the current bios in my mobo is ver. 12 (modded).
    i want to flash into bios ver. 13 (modded).

my questions:
    1. i have to flash into ver. 12 (original) >>>OR<<<
    2. i have to flash into ver. 13 (original) >>>OR<<<
    3. no need to flash into any original version, just go to flash bios ver. 13 (modded) >>>which is bricked my mobo<<<

i'm sorry for my bad english..

@petar,
    i already read the link u gave before, but that doesn't mention about what i'm asking above..

@zort & petar,
    i hope u both now understand what i mean..
    i really sorry for my bad english..

thx guys..
    i really appreciates ur feedbacks..

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You’ve PM’ed my about my opinion, here it is:

The biosmod you’ve tried to flash was already confirmed to work.
    1 out of 100 attempts to flash a ORIGINAL bios causes a bricked board, statistically.

In my opinion your board bricked, because you’ve tried the windows tool. But it was not your fault, it was bad luck.

To minimizes the risk notice these points:

-Windows based (Award) tools aren’t reliable

-Flash from pure DOS using the tool that came with your original bios, preferably using a FDD. Use the same command like flashing the original bios.

-The bricking wasn’t because you’ve flashed mod (12 modded-----> 13 modded), it was accidentally. The mod wasn’t even written onto the chip, it was during erasing the current one.

-Since it is an ISA mod, it doesn’t matter if you are flashing the original 13 version before. But:

I always advise to test the original bios before. To test for possible issues, to see if you are satisfied with the new version. Some modifying techniques require to flash the ORIGINAL bios before, but not necessarily yours.

In short: Don’t try that windows flash tool anymore.

I hope you’ll get it back working again. Abit is finished and will close down this month. But there are many others which are able to reprogram such a bios chip.

Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. gervasius

gervasius MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2008
    BIOS problem - Gigabyte K8NS Pro

I have a problem with my mb GA-k8ns pro since i tried to flash it with new (f14c) bios. I used @bios and received a message at 50% that flashing failed. When I restarted the pc I received the message "CMOS checksum error - defaults loaded", the bios version was f14c, but when I wanted enter bios to restore backup bios I couldn't enter it because gigaraid setup starts and hangs (please wait for raid configuration). Same thing happens when I try to boot the system. I tried disconecting all ata devices, attaching hd to gigaraid, but nothing worked. I can't I use dualbios function because I cannot enter bios, and backup bios doesn't kick in because main bios starts ok. Bios recovery from floppy doesnt't work for me because there is no floppy seek, is there a posibility of using optical drive? Can bios chips be phisically exchanged on this board without soldering, backup for main? I'm not shure about shortening the pins since I dont't have the equpement or knowledge for that...

Tnx for any help...

8. Gops

Gops MDL Junior Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Hi, I have an Acer Aspire 9303 and would like to make a backup of the BIOS which is Phoenix.

As per the method 1 item 3 quoted above I must rename the BIOS file to bios.wph.
    Can someone please tell me which file I should rename to bios.wph.
    I have downloaded the bios zip file from Acer website and I have the following files inside: MAM117.rom (1024 KB) and MAM117.wph (1029 KB)

Thanks

9. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Your install cd may have the xpress bios recovery. It is a bios recovery to be run from the chipset cd that was with the MB. Can you enter bios setup??

You say the main starts ok, how about turning the raid off??

There is a pic of which pins to short in a thread here. Trial and error from what others have said..

Good luck with it, I think the @bios is not good, Qflash is a bit better, I would say that FLASHSPI from DOS is best from now on..FYI

10. mserda

mserda MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2008
    Help with HP Pavillion a1235c bios

I am in search of the original BIOS version for an HP Pavillion a1235c, with the following motherboard.

Manufacturer: ECS
    Motherboard Name: RC410-M
    HP/Compaq motherboard name: Asterope-GL8

BIOS type: AMI
    Bios Date: 12/02/2005
    BIOS ID: 63-0100-000001-00101111-120205-RS400-RC410-Mg
    BIOS OEM: 12/02/2005 - 3.05
    Motherboard: ER975AA-ABA A1235C

I need to recover the BIOS, but can't find the right BIOS ROM file to put on the floppy to recover it. I've tried other versions, and they didn't work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It gives me the following error when I've tried the AMI "Boot Block" process with different versions.

AMI Logo

Starting FLASH recovery.
    ROM Checksum is bad.
    NVRAM data will be destroyed.
    CMOS data will be preserved.
    (SPACE)
    Ending FLASH recovery.
    FLASH update failed.
    FLASH ROM not detected.
    System Halted.

11. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    #112 zort, Dec 13, 2008
  12. sccrbrandon4788

sccrbrandon4788 MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2007
    I tried to flash the F.24 modded bios on my HP dv5220us, that was posted and it caused my system to crash too like another member. Any ideas? I've tried almost all the methods for the Phoenix bios but any have yet to work. I don't know what else to do and I don't think its worth having to replace the motherboard and can afford another laptop. Any help?

13. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Where did you downloaded the bios from, couse I cant find it anywhere...:confused:

As for your problem, try using deferent versions of phlash16 and use a USB floppy.
    If you want me to, I can make several floppy img files for you with deferent versions of phlash16 for you to try, but I will need a link to the unmodded bios first.

14. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    Hey petar, have you come up with anything yet? I'm still trying to come up with a floppy disk, but how do I end up using the img files?

15. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008
    #118 zort, Dec 21, 2008
  16. sccrbrandon4788

Oct 30, 2007
    Can one of you guys make the floppy img files for me so I can try to get my laptop running again? Thanks!

17. zort

zort MDL Expert

Feb 19, 2008