bios slic 2.1 just kicked off

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by armada, Nov 13, 2009.

1. spkleader

spkleader MDL Senior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    #61 spkleader, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
    nononsence: erm.. of course it would be there. Your new bios was for your mb model, right? Or you showed in a j4x0r3d bios version in your previous bios chip with faked DMI info?
    Afaik the dmi info comes from the bios, it's written in the same memoryspace as the cmos. That's why on some motherboards you have to wipe the cmos settings for the faked info get rewrited.
    Or, I'm totally wrong spreading wrong information due lack of knowledge, who knows! I'm in for the fall (as said by Supla!) :D

2. nononsence

nononsence MDL Addicted

Aug 18, 2009
    but back on topic, MS just released the OCUR cable tuners from the
    requirement that a certificate be present in the bios of the host mainboard

this may be a bug, or they repurposed the code to do more rigorous check
    on the SLIC. which makes sense since it is easy to update the media player
    componets for the "WAR ON PIRACY" and reupdate the componets every time
    you open MediaPlayer or MediaCenter, annoy till you buy.

just speculation mind you.

3. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    The area of the bios at the theoretical memory address of 0x000F0000h - 0x000F1000h (00010000h - 110000h in main bios) , roughly and it could change by bios type..but this is a general rule.

This is generally where the OEM can input any strings or boot messages for the bios. This is, of course, in the main bios and not the extended bios.

There are many DMI editors for this purpose, DMIScope, DMICFG, AMIDMI, etc.

I am familiar with the CMOS and its function. All bios flashes do not clear this memory. A manual reset is generally recommended...

***This is not part of the argument, just answering a question...****

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    Again in the speculation field... I can swear that M$ wants their new OS pirated the f*ck out of it right now. Lots of people refuses to move on from XP, even with the try for 30 days thing or the easily modable bios thing.
    Oh well.... let's see what's goes on in the next charpter.. or thread! ;)

5. spkleader

Oct 13, 2009
    nononsence: yeah... I got it right then. I just spotted that usually both bios and cmos are present in the same chip. One socket less or in other case, less points to solder ;)

6. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    You know what, I am ending this NOW! I don't care what you think of me at all. I am gonna be mature and let an immature person get his laugh. I only commented to try to help the other guy out. I never meant to start a fight. Now, lets settle this like mature people and get back on topic here on this thread. It is stupid to fight. I don't care what you think of me either so just shut up and try to help people like I do everyday!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. BuonaDomenica

BuonaDomenica MDL Senior Member

Aug 27, 2009
    well there are seven pages of this thread and only about two pages address the real issue. Let's get back to the topic please. This might be very important thread to watch if more of these non-genuine pop up.

:confused:

8. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009

Wow, I think that is about enough of the personal insults.

9. byghtn3

byghtn3 MDL Junior Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #71 byghtn3, Nov 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    Dude, all I am saying is that I have seen 3 OEM PC's with win7 and inside the chip(Now, I am not sure if it is CMOS itself or some other memory module) held license info from the manufacture and it was used to restore the pre-activation status without cracks or anything. Look, I can be completely wrong with my help for Armada, I just was trying to help dude. Sorry we got into some big fight. I am just here on this whole site mainly to help people out dude.

11. drably

drably MDL Member

Feb 4, 2008
    this happened to me a couple of months ago.
    just uninstall cert & key, and reinstall it. problem fixed.
    i would advise a good firewall too & use the hosts file trick provided for office 2007

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I just have read this thread....OMG.....I almost wanted to close it.....
    There is a lot of pseudo knowledge.

CMOS is basically a wrong therm, but used commonly. It is NOT the BIOS at all!! In fact it is a battery buffered SRAM (Static random-accesss memory, don't confuse it with SDRAM). It only contains bios parameter, RTC, no licensing info. It's e.g. 128 bytes of size, very small.....You have to remove the battery, or set RTC jumper to clear it.
    The OA2.1 activation specification doesn't use licensing information neither from CMOS nor from the DMI!!! There must be a proper SLIC as a part of the BIOS itself! (ACPI table).
    DMI strings can be used for SLP1.0 activation and to set a special licensing type. This is used by the OEM (tatoo tools).
    Some OEM specific tools ask for the model number and regarding to it they are enabling SLP2.X.....(hidden or half mapped SLIC if not licensed).

The bioscode asks if a condition (at DMI) is true, then it provides the full SLIC.
    OR at a licensed model there is the last part of a SLIC written to a special area of the EEPROM (bios chip)..with marker tools. At unlicensed it's lacking of it.

So I guess you are confusing CMOS with DMI (SMBIOS) Sytem Management BIOS