Can I flash BIOS from different model with identical motherboard?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by mc510, Jan 14, 2022.

1. mc510

mc510 MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2009
  2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    sometimes it work. I my case... I changed a PCWARE IPMH61R3 BIOS for a ECS H61H2-M12 1.0 and now I can use my GT1030 and newer cpus.

however, if it doesn't work, you brick your mobo.

you will need to reflash your rom with hot swap (you will probably need to re-sold the bios, etc)...

cheers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. exander3000

exander3000 MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2022
    i have a similar question but on a laptop acer v3 571g to be precise, i've been trying to mod my vbios for a while or get someone to do it for me but no luck but i came across an old post with a modded bios but for a different gpu(i have a gt630m but the vbios is for a gt635m) just wondering if it would work. Secondly i have both the original bios downloaded from the official website andwas able to extract the bios from my laptop but FermiBiosEditor and nibitor cant read the file(unsupported). Thanks

4. Hunterrules0_0

Hunterrules0_0 MDL Member

Nov 27, 2021
    If it has the same chipset and supports the cpu then sure.

5. exander3000

exander3000 MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2022
    thanks for your input and yes they support the same cpus but the gpus are different.... I have modded bios for gt640m but couldn't find one for my 630m , very terrified od the possibility of bricking my system

6. Hunterrules0_0

Nov 27, 2021
    Check the pcie version (example pcie 4.0) if there the same youll be fine. as the gpu uses a separate bios called the video bios but the gpu still sorta uses the bios to work. Either way if its the same pcie version you'll probably be fine

7. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    No good idea.........
    VBIOS will also differ, especially on laptop-gpus or MXM-cards, depending on hardware the OEM customized for his application (internal/external connectors, GPIOs, DCB,...).
    I guess it has to be modded manually, similar to Intels BMP-tool for transfering data, but to my knowledge there is no public tool for nVidia.

8. Hunterrules0_0

Nov 27, 2021
    I bought a dell back in the day thats made in 2013 and it can handle a 1660 super. I dont think it will matter.

9. exander3000

exander3000 MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2022
    you're probably referring to a desktop from limited knowledge laptops bios contains the bios for CPU and vbios for GPU bundled together hmmmmm if only i could get a tutorial or an app to mod my bios personally .All the various spftware i had come across don't seem to support fermi or those that do don't have support for my card. Furthermore my gpu is super old and people have moved away from caring about it and topics about modding my GPU bios from most tech forums are dated as far back as 2012/2013 , right now all download links are either dead or files have been deleted

10. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I've done this in the past with good success but you will need an external programmer because all BIOS regions need to be flashed (and you have a full backup in case of issues). You will also need to save the OEM information (ex: serial number, laptop model, windows key) and write back that information to the new ROM file before flashing it.
    Don't attempt to do this without an external flasher, it's too risky

11. exander3000

exander3000 MDL Novice

Feb 1, 2022
    ok thanks for the info