Can the Hyper-V BIOS be modded?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by reginakampher, Aug 17, 2008.

1. TheOneAndOnly

TheOneAndOnly MDL Junior Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. dim-soft

dim-soft MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2008
    I can made rdp acsses to 2008 in hyper-v

3. TheOneAndOnly

Aug 21, 2007
    Any new ideas or progress updates on getting Hyper-V BIOS moded? :D Now that everyone and there mom has Win2k8. :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    #44 mvanhelmont, Sep 4, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    :confused:??
    You've got a corresponding M$ cert.???

6. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    No i used the wow cd image + hp cert en dell oem key en server is activated.

7. TheOneAndOnly

Aug 21, 2007
  8. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes it works, i have my host system activated with modded bios and the asus cert and dell key and the virtual servers with Wow and hp cert and dell key.

9. TheOneAndOnly

Aug 21, 2007
    I try using that boot CD within the Hyper-V VM and it doesn't get past the BIOS. Hummmm.... :confused: I wonder what is diffrent about your setup.

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I just tried that Boot Disk too, with the same results.
    Hangs on booting the VM. :(

This maybe a silly question, but is everyone using Hyper-V with the KB950050 update ?

I had Vista SP1 (actiavted via softmod) working fine in Hyper-V till that update was released, now it hangs at bootup as well.

p.s. Thanks for all the time and effort you guys are putting into this 'fix' :cool:

11. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    I don't know i have installed Windows 2008 Standard 64Bits as host and VM and download last updates by microsoft.

I have a screenshot of my host and vm so you can see it is activated by a oem key.

greetz

12. TheOneAndOnly

Aug 21, 2007
    @ mvanhelmont

If you would be willing can you list the exact steps you took to get where you are now from the beginning?

Do you have the WOW CD mounted every time you boot the VM?

Thanks

13. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    First i installed and update the vm than i have mount the Wow iso (always when i boot) i have not try't to install it on the vm harddisk. Maby this works i must give it a try,
    than i have installed the hp cert and changed the key to use the dell oem key.

nothing else and it is now activated.

14. TheOneAndOnly

Aug 21, 2007
    Did you update the host as well before and after installing Hyper-V and get all the updates?

15. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    Yes before installing the role hyper-v i have update the host system full, after i have installed the role hyper-v i have updated it. And at the moment it is full updated.

16. TheOneAndOnly

Aug 21, 2007
    If you would be willing can you upload your (vmwp.exe) off the host :) I believe it is in the system32 folder.

Also, :D if you could do a mem dump of the vmwp.exe process as well when you have the VM up and running, you can use WinHex, then send upload it as well.

Thanks a bunch.

17. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007
    i don't know how to make a dump of the process with Winhex but i see a option dump process in task manager but i get a 22mb file. Can you tell me how to make a dump of the process?

18. TheOneAndOnly

Aug 21, 2007
    The one you have may be the same thing, in WinHex you go to Tools -> Open RAM. In there they don't have names on most of them but the one you want is usually at the bottom of the list. What I did was take a screen grab of before I launched the VM and then after wards you open the one that is newly listed, once located you open the Primary Memory inside. From there you can do a search for SLIC and in your case I am guessing you should find the HP SLIC.

You might just try and open the dump you already did with WinHex and see if there is a SLIC table listed.

19. mvanhelmont

mvanhelmont MDL Novice

Jun 11, 2007