Can we make a virtual machine that works with a USER specific Bios's mainboard??

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by thuvn205, May 26, 2008.

1. thuvn205

thuvn205 MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    We try to mod a real BIOS and sometimes makes very dangerous so I hope we will test to mod the BIOS on the Virtual Machine first, this will require to install the current real BIOS on virtual machine and after it's works ..moding and test. :)

2. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear thuvn205!

With VMWare its not possible. There is no flashing tool in the VMWare's BIOS!

Bye

3. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    VMware's BIOS is a Phoenix BIOS and it can be modded. You don't flash the VMware's BIOS like you would normally do on a physical computer, but rather modify the BIOS and have VMware load it at startup of the virtual machine.

My interpretation of thuvn205's post was that he/she was asking if it was possible to test a modded BIOS designed for other computers on a VMware or Virtual PC 2007 virtual machine. That, of course, is not possible since the BIOS is designed for each specific machine, virtual or not.

4. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear reginakampher!

You wrote that is possible to mod a VMWare BIOS!
    Can you tell me how?????

The VMWare is not a real computer (so the BIOS is also not real)!
    I hope you get my clue!

Bye

PS: If its your real photo, you look nice!

5. thuvn205

thuvn205 MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    That's very nice, what I want to do is to Mod my real computer and bring in to virtual machine to load it and test if it works...seem not easy :D .

Pls show your way of loading the modded bios in vmware, I don't think we can do that.

6. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    I think for you to be able to do this, you will have to have an option in VM to choose your own specific hardware, like CPU, GPU e.c.t. and most important you will have to select you EEPROM.

For this to be reality VM programers will have to do a dayly updates to their software so they can folow the new hardware that is emerging every day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #7 Yen, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
    Here are the gathered info:

1. Extracting BIOS module from VMWare program

1) Find "vmware-vmx.exe" at "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Workstation\bin",
    and copy it to a temp folder.
    2) Start ResourceHacker and open the copied "vmware-vmx.exe"
    3) Place mouse cursor on "BINRES" and right click on it. Then select "Save [BINRES] resources",
    and save the resources by any given name
    4) In your temp folder, you will find many "Data_*.bin" files and, among them, locate
    the file of 512 KB in size (most likely Data_4.bin or Data_5.bin).
    5) That is the BIOS module file of VMWare, and rename it as "VM-BIOS.rom" or whatever you like,
    but the extension must be ".rom"

2. Modification:

2.1 for SLP1.0:

First of all, start Phoenix BIOS Editor, and open "VM-BIOS.rom", then take your course in the followings:

A. Elementary course (To place SLP String in DMI area, used for LENOVO, Hewlett, Compaq, TOSHIBA, AcerSystem)

1) Follow the menu "Windows" ==> "DMI Editor" (Or simply press CTRL+D)
    2) In the "DMI String" window, you will find the "Description" and "String" info
    3) Double click on a "String" column, and change a string to SLP String as below:

[Example] 'IBM Corporation' (Place single quotation mark (') at head and tail.)

* You can select any Description item, except for "UUID", and change a default string
    to your favorite SLP string, but the string must correspond to OEMBIOS file set !
    * Do not input the strings for DELL, Sony, ASUS, LG, Samsung and etc., whose strings must
    be placed in other areas (of BIOS main module). 

4) Follow the menu "File" ==> "Build BIOS", and, if no problems, the message "Build is OK" will show up,
    and save the modded BIOS as "VM-BIOS_Mod.rom" or whatever you like.

B. Advanced course (To place SLP String in BIOS main module, used for ASUS_FLASH, Dell System, Sony Corporation)

1) With PBE being opend, go to the folder: C:\Program Files\Phoenix Technologies Ltd\BIOS Editor\TEMP,
    and find "BIOSCOD2.ROM"
    2) This file is the BIOS main module, and you can mod it by hex-editor.
    But, before working on modding, you need to fully grasp the memory map and understand
    where to place SLP string in a safe way. Need to know the relationship between physical
    memory addresses and offset addresses of this file.
    3) After modding, save the BIOS. (Be sure to change something in DMI string, otherwise "Build BIOS"
    remains grey-out.) 

2.2 for Vista (insert SLIC)

-Open bios.wph or bios.rom with Phoenix BIOS Editor
    The bios will be decompressed, all parts are in Phoenix BIOS Editor\TEMP folder now. You can open them with winhex to edit.

-Search for "SLIC" to find a already present SLIC tabe. If found DO NOT modify try to activate first. If it doesn't activate check Everest. No SLIC present at Everest, modify bios

-Copy file with slic table into Phoenix BIOS Editor\TEMP and rename it to the next higher ACPIn.ROM. (n ist the next higher acpi number).

-Open rom.scr with notepad and add a line "ACPI ACPIn.ROM -X", save it.

-Search for "RSDT" and if present "XSDT" string.
    Overwrite string next to "RSDT" and "XSDT" with your OEM table and OEM table ID you want.
    They are usually found at BIOSCOD1.ROM file. Save changes.

-To enable save button (now is gray) change something random in Phoenix BIOS Editor and restore its original value

-Save bios and check log for errors

3. Starting VMWare by using modded BIOS

1) Copy your modded BIOS file to the folder where VMWare's definition file (*.vmx) is located.
    2) Open the definition file (*.vmx) by Notepad, and insert a line as follows, and then save it.

bios440.filename="VM-BIOS_Mod.rom"  ("VM-BIOS_Mod.rom" is YOUR modded BIOS file name.)

3) Start VMWare and enjoy it!

The instructions are written by Pajero and me.;) There are modified virtual bioses available already. Always the same V-bios, done with different OEMs to activate it.

@thuvn205:
    To emulate / integrate any other bios is not possible, since it initialises the (virtual) hardware, which is specific at every single machine. This would have been saved some already bricked boards!!! So you have to flash your mod onto the real chip..............

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
  9. Chriss71

Chriss71 MDL Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Dear Yen and all the others!

THANKS for your description!:D
    So, we can try out if Phoenix BIOS are working or not!

Bye

10. thuvn205

thuvn205 MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    #10 thuvn205, May 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    (OP)
  11. reginakampher

reginakampher MDL Addicted

Apr 5, 2008
    #11 reginakampher, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
    First of all, it is NOT possible to test your Acer laptop's BIOS in a virtual machine.

Secondly, I don't think there is anything wrong with BigErnM's mod. You should try flashing the .rom file from DOS using Phlash16 or flash the .rom file from Windows using WinPhlash v2.0.2.9 and as always FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

It is only a suggestion and you should choose wisely as it may brick your laptop again.
    Post your results.

12. thuvn205

thuvn205 MDL Novice

May 11, 2008
    Thanks for info more but I will never flash again without notice of dead screen before. I think we got matters with Acer Laptop Bios mod but believing of alot of Acer laptop users are looking for the solutions as we all know Acer is good at price but not their after sales services & repair. I hate them and never get back with them again in my life. :D

13. The_ROCK

The_ROCK MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2008
    What About BIOS Manufactor modification?

Firstly this is a very informative thread on modifying the VMWare BIOS(s).

I have got the Phoenix Editor and downloaded the sample BIOS's, however I require to change the BIOS Manufacturer which is currently "VMware". I cannot find this field or option to change it anywhere using the BIOS editor. Does anyone have an idea how to do this, or if it's even possible?

The reason I want to do this, is because I have a "certain application" which is designed to not be supported in a VMware virtualized environment. They do this because they promote their own hardware. I would like to virtualize the application purely for testing purposes, however the vendor is not interested in helping. So it seems there VMware detection method is by inspecting the BIOS. So after importing the "HP" BIOS, which is a supported platform for this application, it still detects the BIOS manufacturer as VMware. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.:confused: