Can we mod AMI BIOS from backup file?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by wuhoatu, Dec 17, 2009.

1. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Some mainboard, such as Asrock release their new BIOS in .exe file format and cannot be extracted. Can we upgrade with unmoded BIOS, then backup it to a ROM file and mod the backup ROM after that? It is AMI bios.

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Every bios can be extracted from the exe, because the setup has to do the same in order to flash the bios.
    Have you tried universal extractor? Have you had a look at your local temp dir while the setup is still running?

Anyway a AMI bios can be backuped using the flashtool and the backup switch and be modded, yes. You may post the exe here to have a look first.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I'll have a look when I'm back home. Please wait before you try to mod the backup. I'm sure it'll work to mod the backup, but it will be an additionally risk to use the backup and would only do so if I cannot extract......
    Btw: Have a look at your local temp folder the extention *.ROM or *.bin isn't a must.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I wasn't able to extract the bios. To flash the modded one I suggest to use afudos from pure DOS, make a bootable USB stick, copy afudos and the biosmod on it, boot with it and flash it like
    afudos /Ibiosmod.rom
    biosmod.rom = your name of the mod.