Capture Complete BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chaddawkins, Jul 27, 2009.

1. chaddawkins

chaddawkins MDL Senior Member

Sep 16, 2007
    Is there a way to correctly capture a COMPLETE bios from a computer with SLIC so that the backed-up file has the SLIC included? I know how to capture just the slic.
    For instance, my computer came from LENOVO with SLIC 2.0 in the bios. Can I capture (backup) this bios and the backed-up.rom.wph.whatever have the SLIC included so that I can share this with others? I was also wanting to know because, and i am quite ignorant to these things, I was curious if it would be easier to add SLIC 2.1 to a bios that already has 2.0 in it.

thanks

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Yes you can back up your bios..If the bios came from a machine with Vista, they will all have slics....No, often it is easier to start with no slic in bios..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    How do you do this? I used WinPhlash, Secure WinFlash, and clicked the backup bios button, but the backed-up bios didn't include the SLIC.

OK, thank you

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
    Use rw-everything and dump lets say 4Mbyte. If the bios is smaller in size just cut it.
    After you've backuped the bios, open it with the right tool and extract the SLIC.

Award, AMI--->andyps tool to extract the modules, search for the SLIC
    Phoenix---->PBE
    Insyde---->ezh20, winhex
    Dell Phoenix----> -writeromfile command, winhex
    HP Phoenix----> winhex and decompressor...

How to dump any bios:
    press memory dump (third icon from the left side)
    press address button and enter: FFC00000, press OK.
    press save as binary, second icon of memdump window.
    enter length 400000, save and upload your dump of your current bios.

This dumps a 4Mbyte bios. If the real size is smaller you'll dump some FFh bytes additionally. You may dump 8 MByte as well (FF800000, size 800000)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    mm, my home pc, a Acer Aspire m3641 Desktop already has 2.0 SLIC data in F0 module, would it be possible to just replace pubkey/marker data in F0 module with data taken from Acer 2.1 SLIC? Or is there some checksum check i should be aware off? And can i fix such checksum?

I noticed andyp Slictool also modifies all OEMID/OEMTABLEID of 1B module, is this really necessary if all these stay the same?

[fs]

6. justinkb

justinkb MDL Member

Jul 16, 2008
    @Yen,

if i try that, rw-everything hangs forever on 'Starting memory function'... (and everything shows up as FF bytes by default i guess)

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    You can either use MMtool for F0 replacement only, or andys tool. Allow F0 modification, advanced---> only alter RSDT / XSDT.

At the moment M$ checks for consistency of OEMID of SLIC, RSDT, XSDT.......
    not sure if other tables will be included for check in the near future...

justinkb

Please retry it. If you got wrong addresses (typo) it may hang... It could be a bug at the tool anyway...at some PC rw-everything got problems, especially at 64 bit OS....

8. justinkb

justinkb MDL Member

Jul 16, 2008
    ill try again from my 32bit winpe usb stick, thanks

9. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    Ff ff ff ff ff ...

Yen, i followed your directions but am getting empty .bin files too. I assume that since this is dumping from "memory" it means that i need to be running this in Vista right? I'm running this in Win7 RTM... thus, it isn't in memory???? could that be the problem????
    thanks

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    IMO rw-everything tool has still problems with 64 bit edition of OS.

The bios is located all the time there, for sure!! It's the address range of the EEPROM chip of bios!!

IMO rw-everything dumps the wrong addresses. It has problems with the memory manager of 64 bit OS/ W7....
    Wait for an update of rw-everything or use 32 bit Vista to dump....

11. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    I'm using Win7 x86... i'll be able to load Vista in a day or two... i'll try it then

thanks

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Have just dumped my bios, works flawlessly at XP.

13. chaddawkins

Sep 16, 2007
    now i am getting a backup, but it is like the .bak file that winphlash gives... it doesn't include the SLIC... i dont even know if i have a copy of xp around anymore, now that i think about it. i believe that it works for you, when you say it does, i guess it just doesn't in Windows 7 :(

can anyone try this in Win7 and report back?