Change device id of a nvidia vbios Option Rom

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dryeightysix, Jun 17, 2018.

1. dryeightysix

dryeightysix MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2018
    Long story short: I have a Dell m3800 and switched the nvidia gk107 chip with a gk106. The vBios for the graphics card is in the normal bios (Ami aptio) as option Rom I think. The device id of the graphics "card" switched from 10de 0ff6 to 10de 11f6 with the chip swap. The vBios option Rom is still for the device id 0ff6. The graphics card isn't currently finding any vbios at all.

If my understanding of the problem, as written above is right, how do I change the device id of the current vBios?

At this point I don't want to change the vBios, I just want to give the graphics card access to the already existing one.

I already changed the device id in the vBios but MMTool still says the option Rom is for device 10de ff6.

Any help is highly appreciated, even if it's just basic knowledge about how option Roms work. I really don't want to solder the old chip again.

2. dryeightysix

dryeightysix MDL Novice

Jun 1, 2018
    Maybe someone cares about this at some point:

The vBios is saved 2 times in the ami Bios, once with the other Option Roms and another time seperatly for some reason. Replacing the Option Rom with MMtool didnt work for me so i searched a part of the vbios in hex in UEFItool, extreacted the section with all the option roms, searched the devid in the section with hexedit and finally found the option rom where you can edit the dev ids.

3. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    Is the original VBIOS compatible with the GK106? If not, what laptop did you get the GK106 from?

Also how are you flashing the modified BIOS? Using the HDR recovery method?