Changing ACER logo in boot screen in BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by kitaioza, Jun 9, 2008.

Tags:
  1. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    I bought a laptop ACER Travelmate 2410 (PhoenixBios 1.09). There is an ugly ACER logo on bootscreen. I dicabled logo, but black screen when boot is ugly too..... so i decided to change logo.

I downloaded Phoenix Bios Editor Pro 2.2.0.1. What`ll i do now? Where`ll take RAM or WPH files? What are the requirements to the logo? How can i build BIOS?

Please, help or give link to tutorial. Sorry if this topic is already discussed. I couldn`t fing normal tutorial in the Web. Sorry also for my English :)

2. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #2 petar, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    Man, you have frightened me. So, if i have some trouble with Bios, laptop will be broken? Shall i be able to repair it by myself in that case?

4. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    #4 petar, Jun 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    thank you very much!
    I read all that topics and came to the conclusion...

Can you
    ????

If yes, what is the image format needed? I mean size, number of colours? You wrote about DOS flashing image, but i don`t finally understood what did you mean...mb thats coz i`m noob, mb coz of my English)

6. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    Manufacturers provide a set of tools to lash from DOS or Windows.
    I called them a image becouse in many cases you only have to click on the DOS flashing tools to create a DOS flashing floppy comlete with the tools and the bios file needed for the flash proces.

Once you unpack your bios with PBE you can find the bios files extracted in the temp directory of PBE located in program files.
    There you can find the images that are responsable for creating the logo.
    You will have to make them exact size as the original ones.
    Size in pixels, compresion, format and in bytes must match.

7. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    1) I bought this laptop not new and now i have no any drivers or utilities from manufacturer. What tools shall I use? Are there any specific tools to get bios and edit it - exept PBE pro? How can i get RAM or WPH file to use PBE?

2) Can you advise what programs shall I use to make same images in compression and size? Cuz pixels-format-etc can be made through graphic programmes, ok, i understand it. But what about compression and size?

thank you!

8. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    1. PBE recognizes both ROM and WPH files and not RAM.
    The extension realy deosn meter, you can even click on show all files while browsing for the bios and open it again with no problems.

2. I would use photoshop, couse it is capble to do almost anything with any kind of picture.
    The size and compresion can be specifyed in photoshop, and you can also see the originals picture propereties as well.

9. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    Yes, ROM, sorry)))

But can you describe me: i installed PBE. But i have no files .ROM or .WPH on my HDD, in folders, etc. How can i get it? What do i mean

10. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    ROM or WPH file is the bios file it self.
    As I said in my previous post manufacturers usualy provide their customers with image file which has to be extracted.
    Inside the bios image flashing file you have downloaded form the maufacturer you can find the bios.wph file.
    If you want provide me with a download link and I will extract the files for you.

Note. Excuse my speling...it is image not imige.
    I wrote bios.wph, the name can be deferent.

11. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    ok i will try to download bios from acer website. I thought just that i need to take bios from my motherboard)
    thanks for patience)

12. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    You can get the bios out of your board, but it is safer when you get it from the manufacturer.

13. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    Ok i downloaded PhoenixBios 1.13 (i get 1.09, i think it`s better to get newer one?). Remaking the logo...

14. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    I dont htink that the logo will br changed at all.
    You dont need to flash to the newer version unless there is a need to do that.(to resolve some issue for exemple..)

15. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    man, i opened "splash screen" window and i see "palette". Is this "palette" fixed? If so, does it mean that i need to use fixed palette colours?

16. kitaioza

kitaioza MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2008
    ok i downloaded old bios 1.09

17. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
    I cant understand you clearly...
    Please upload somewhere the file you have downloaded so I can see what do you mean...

18. petar

petar MDL Expert

Apr 5, 2008
  19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #20 Yen, Jun 10, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
    Brief instructions:

-download your bios for ACER Travelmate 2410 (PhoenixBios 1.09) at Acer support.

-expand it (if needed) locate the *.wph or *.rom

-open it with PBE, get your expanded logo at PBE'S temp folder, have a look what format it is.

-get your desired new logo and fit the format if needed.

-exchange it and rebuild the bios, check for errors.
    I'll have a closer look at it when I'm at home again......