charging through USB

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Highlanders, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Highlanders

Highlanders MDL Novice

May 6, 2012
    Just thought I would share this, when I shut down windows 8 I'm still able to charge my keyboard (Logitech) using my front usb ports don't know if it's been mentioned before. Couldn't do that with windows 7 had to make sure that I used sleep mode to do that.

2. sps

sps MDL Member

Feb 6, 2008
    I think it is a hardware feature, not software related...
    Am I wrong?

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #3 Yen, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    Actually I would say yes, you're right. But he's said he wasn't able at w7 (only sleep mode).
    I'd try to shut down w8, switch power completely off (remove power cord around 10 seconds). Plug it in again, switch the power on but NOT boot w8 and test if the power is still at the same USB port available.

Edit: To verify this you might try the same at w7.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend MDL Senior Member

Feb 10, 2010
    It is a hardware feature. Some ports on new mobo/laptop from certain vendors may have charging capability. Check your system mobo manual. Windows 8 properly enable many of the hardware features, including ^mentioned one. I am in love with new Microsoft.... :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. phailyoor

phailyoor MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Windows 8 shut down is not really shut down, it's like extra deep sleep. The hardware thinks that windows is in sleep mode,, not shut down, so you get sleep features like charge in sleep.

6. secured2k

secured2k MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2011
    It's a hardware feature that is turned on by a driver feature. Some motherboard manufacturers have special applications that installed filter drivers on the USB system to enable higher powered charging and charging while shutdown. Shut down in Windows 8 is S4 or hibernation

7. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    #7 PaulDesmond, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
    I would like to read a documentation of this. You have a source?
    I measured/compared a cold start up (AC unplugged/replugged) with a shut down and press the power button. Result: no difference. Experimental: I did it 10 times each!!
    So I don't see any relevant content in your statement :D

8. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    MS "Sleep" and "Hibernation" all fall into the manufacturers sleep state's, it does lead to confusion. Windows 8 does enter a sleep state when you shutdown it is a type of hibernation that MS calls "Fast Start-up". Go> Control Panel> Power Options> Choose what the power buttons do> Turn off Fast Startup
    Check if charging still works when you restart. If you want to read about Fast Startup select "Learn More"

Older MB's sometimes required you to change a jumper commonly called USB Standby

9. Highlanders

Highlanders MDL Novice

May 6, 2012
    Yes correct now no power to front usbs so what is sleep mode in W8, I get flashing power light in sleep mode under W7/8?

10. badboy77

badboy77 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2008
    win8 fast boot/shutdown is not a sleep mode

hibernate mode = all programs, memory, system, etc is written to a file and has to load all of it on resume

win8 fast boot = only system/process files from windows is written to a file and only load that

in this mode the computer is also totally powered down just like normal Hibernate mode, this is why when you start windows you see Bios stuff instead of instant Windows Lock Screen of the sleep mode

11. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    #11 hack, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  12. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Very interesting, always wondered how the win8 fast boot thingy mic bob mic doodle thing worked.

13. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    On some MB's the OS can notify the Bios/Firmware that it is requesting one of the System Sleep States. The Bios/firmware then allows USB standby current and in my case to speed up the boot process does not allow me to "F2" into the bios configuration or "F10" into the Boot Menu Selection. If I want to boot from Optical drive I just restart in Windows 8 which avoids the "Fast Startup". You can also use: Settings> Change PC Settings> General> Advanced Startup

14. ! .ĐΛЄMØИ. !

! .ĐΛЄMØИ. ! MDL Junior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Interesting, when I shutdown and then bootup again.. it boots up like it was shutdown by any OS (as it should be) and I still get the fast Win8 boot. Possible that my mobo has something yours doesn't? Or am I missing something?

I have a EP45-UD3L.

15. hack

hack MDL Senior Member

Sep 14, 2009
    It just boils down to the hardware you have and what the bios/firmware is capable of doing when the OS request is processed. The OS also needs to support the hardware in use. You may have noticed when installing Windows from Optical Media on most newer hardware that when setup restarts the machine your Bios/firmware skips "Press any Key.." and boots directly from the HDD and continues setup. Some MB's do not support this when installing from USB HDD and the setup just cycles endlessly until you unplug the USB during restart.

16. roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT MDL Addicted

Sep 1, 2007
    I've read this from some more official source (don't ask me where and I'm too lazy and tired to research) before, too, and another good indicator that this is true is that on my Lenovo T400 laptop, which has a sleep LED which blinks while it's being put in hibernation and then turns the LED completely off (versus real sleep where it just stays solidly lit), if I have the laptop shutdown, the sleep LED blinks until it's off.