[Closed] ReviOS, the New Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pisthai, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    99% of the users, only a few still play dumb and keep doing it and get addressed by the staff, mainly @Yen and @Tito are active on the homebrew subject atm

It's because it probably is a solid wim file, like an esd but the extension is .wim.

9.4 is the current version of W10UI.

2. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    My bad, I was apparently being retarded and read "MSMG ToolKit 9.4", hence the pointless question..
    So in this case, wouldn't a simple dism /export-image[/url] work to export desired indexes to a regular wim?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    That actually makes sense, I guess the installer would look at the actual file type and ignore the extension.

4. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    This seems to be nice. Just a few critiques: 1) as we all know MS recommends NOT using IE to browse the internet due to security. I installed the new Edge. 2) No normal themes. 3) No media viewing. 4) Xbox and Gamebar still present. 5) Obnoxious bright red background on login. 6) No option to use MS account during setup. 7) No keyboard and language settings during setup.

Other than these, it seems to be OK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    So it is an ESD and once unpacked my modified and fully updated 21H1 base WIM file is smaller.

3.33 GB (3,578,996,205 bytes) VS. 3.15 GB (3,392,104,950 bytes) <- mine.

Whoever made this does not seem to know what they are doing. A bunch of Appx stuff is removed but they didn't touch anything in optional features (in DISM++).

6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Tell them directly, they have a Discord server. Eager to see what they comment on this.

7. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Does not look like it, looks like they just went after appx stuff. Leaving IE11 and WMP in an image that is supposed to be super light is not by design, its literally not knowing that they can be removed.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Why, in the original Windows 10 Pro 64bit, the use of CPU power is always terrible high, on low powered Netbooks like the Acer Aspire One 722, D270, and others which are able to use 64bit, most of the time at 100%, even if the Netbook isn't used for letting us say 30min?

I need to work with such Netbooks quite a bit of time because they're very famous special for Kids. I do a lot of 'social' works for some Orphanages. They are didn't has the money to use high-end and/or high-powered machines therefore Netbooks are very common.

In ReviOS those Netbooks working quite a bit better (and faster!) by using much fewer Hardware resources, so those users could learn to use the more high-end available OS'es and Apps. In the full original Windows 10 Pro 64bit, it simply would be a PITA!

I'm on testing ReviOS now for about 1 month, and with those Kids for about 2 weeks, and have to admit that it's really liked by the End-Users. Ok, everything has its Pros and Cons, so ReviOS! Stripped out a lot of 'things', just didn't mean that the users could not use what they want! There isn't any problem for to enable or install what a single user needs or likes to use. Most of those are just easy and simple tasks! And who said he couldn't, should go back to school first and learn the simple basics!

9. E_B_M

E_B_M MDL Member

Jan 16, 2012
    :tooth::tooth:

10. EDK-Rise

EDK-Rise MDL Member

Aug 7, 2013
    upload_2021-2-23_9-31-47.png
    it is my modified windows based on 19043.844 and everything works fine but i do not share anyone because every component i removed or disabled maybe needed in future so any modified windows makes people in trouble. i never install ISO just like this in my customer's system or critical systems. every sites or forums has it's own rules. respect the rules.

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For those who already and\or like to try ReviOS, if the user uses to update via Mircosoft, and those updates are done, run Disk Clean for at least for drive C because Update will upload all available Updates, used or not, and keep them under Windows Update in the Windows Directory. That amount of files could be easily 5GB or more! The Windows Update Cleanup will free quite some amount of space.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    The MDL rule about homebrew has been established because we cannot guarantee what's inside the image. Furthermore the time when we have allowed those we got more complaints from MSFT. (Also because some of them were pre-activated or contained an activator).
    It applies mostly to home-made images made by single persons.

We drew a clear line that we do not want to have them linked to download here at the MDL forums.

ReviOS is a modified windows which is distributed widely.
    I don't have a problem having this topic here. OP did not post any link.

People can try it and post experiences on MDL.
    Since it is not associated to MDL, we cannot be responsible for ReviOS.

If you want to try it do it at your own risk. (We do not know what's been modified in there.)

13. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Change .wim to .esd then convert whole file to .wim.

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Read back, did that a few posts later.

15. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017

IMO the technical skill involved in creating and installing your own modified image is roughly equivalent to the technical skill required to use a modified image. Modifying comes with some risks, risks you don't want to hand over to a novice.

I know of this forum due to searching for how to modify Windows 10. I learned how to do it, what is fine to remove and what can cause issues and have been happily using modified images ever since.

I would encourage anyone that wants to use a "light build" of Windows 10 to learn how to build it yourself. Its not as hard as it looks and you are WAY better off removing/adding exactly what you want and having absolute knowledge of what has been changed.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    ?

Link was present for 1749 views, OP didn't remove it voluntarily but it was finally removed by a moderator last night.

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    OK, I missed that. I only had a look as it is now.
    As soon as MDL provides a link itself it is considered as a MDL content.

MDL's origin is rather to provide info on how to do yourself than just downloading something from somebody.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @Yen: Thanks for your post and comment.

(red) If there was such Activator or ReviOS were preactivated etc., I would not have used it for my customers and/or my own use. This ReviOS needs to be activated with either an own (legal) Product Key or an existing Digital License of a former Windows 10 activated OS on the used computer.

Sure, what anybody is using on their own machines, is simply up to themself and no one else have to take any responsibility for what is done!

Right now I'm on installing ReviOS on an Acer Aspire One D270 with Atom N2800 CPU (1.86GHz Dual Core) and 4GB RAM, in 64bit!

19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The link I presented in the OP was the link to the website of ReviOS and NOT a Download Link. That Website link was posted to give interested users the ability to check out what and get more info about ReviOS.
    Sorry for that!