Cogito ergo sum. Descartes famous words. What do they actually mean to us?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by SOCRATE_MMXII, Aug 30, 2012.

1. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Did I say that? But if you recognise yourself or if you find yourself "as described" - what do I have to do with it?!?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    With a quiet mind, we emerge to ourselves as pure witnesses. We detach ourselves from the experience and the experiencer, and stand apart in pure awareness, which is halfway and beyond both. The personality, which makes us imagine that we are "this" or "that", continues to function, but as part of the objective world. What is suspended is the identification with the witness.

The world you have in mind is yours, not mine. What do you know about me, if even my talking to you is only in your world? You have no reason to believe that my world is identical to yours. Mine is real, true, I perceive it as it is, while yours appears and disappears depending on how your mind is. It is something that is foreign to you and that you fear. My world is me. I am at home.

The world exists because I am, I am not the world.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Sure, "reality", the biggest conservative clobbering tool ever invented....

4. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Oh no. I live in a world of reality, not of imaginations like yours. Your world is strictly private, you cannot share it with anyone, no one can cross it, see how you see, hear how you hate, vibrate with your emotions and think about your thoughts. You are alone, walled up in the changing dream, which you take for life. Mine is an open and accessible world. In it there is communion, intuition, love, true quality, the individual coincides with the universal, and vice versa. All are one, and the One is all.

5. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    For everything there are innumerable causative factors, and desire is one of them. But the source of all that is, is the Infinite Possibility, the Supreme Reality that is in you, and it projects its light, power and love on every experience. But this source is not a cause, and no cause is the source. This is why I say that everything is uncaused. You can try to reconstruct how something happens, but not why it is what it is. It is as it is, because the universe is what it is.

What is there to say about a life without problems? Personality is only a reflection of the real. Why shouldn't the reflection be identical to the original, snug as a fact? Does the person really need his own plans? It will be life, of which it is an expression, to guide it. As soon as you understand that the person is only a shadow of reality, and not reality in and of itself, you stop wearing yourself out and making a problem out of it. You accept being guided from within, and life turns into a journey into the unknown.

6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    You really can't understand what you are doing, eh? That's because you do NOT live in "reality" but in YOUR IMAGINATION!!!!

7. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Abstraction is mental and verbal, it disappears in sleep and swoon, reappears over time. I am in my original state, eternally "now".
    Past and future are in the mind, I am now.

8. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    And no one who disagrees with you - is...

9. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    I am :p

10. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Is there a connection between mental space and the vastness of the Supreme?
    The Supreme gives existence to the mind, and the mind to the body?

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    The Supreme gives existence to everything.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Supreme BS!!!!:D:p:D:p

13. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Children of Communism

14. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    Can there be life without conscience?
    No, nor consciousness without life. They are one. In reality only the Supreme is. Everything else is a matter of name and form. As long as you persist in believing that there is only that which has name and form, the Supreme will seem to you non-existent. When you understand that names and forms are shells devoid of any content, and that reality is nameless and formless, pure energy and light of consciousness, you will be at peace, immersed in the silence of what is.

15. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Conscience? You do not distinguish elementary notions, like conscience and consciousness, do you...?!? Only Humans have the former!

"Nature red in tooth and claw" is therefore lost on ya...

Bloody amateurs!!! :D :p :D

16. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    I know nothing of wonders, and it surprises me that nature allows exceptions to its laws, unless you want to argue that everything is prodigious. For me, the truth is another, there is conscience, and everything happens in it. It is a fact, and everyone can see it for themselves. Maybe you are not careful enough. Look carefully and you will see like me.

17. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Again: you are not distinguishing the two notions at all!!!

18. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    We know the outer world of sensations and actions, but our inner world of thoughts and feelings is little known to us. The first purpose of meditation is to gain awareness and familiarity with our inner life. The ultimate goal is to reach the source of life and consciousness. The ability to meditate profoundly affects character. We are slaves to what we do not know, and we master what is known. Of any vice or weakness nested in us, we get to the head only by knowing them, exposing the causes and effects. When the unconscious is brought to the level of consciousness, it dissolves, and its extinction releases energy, the mind feels equal to the situation and becomes quiet.

19. IXMas

IXMas MDL Member

Mar 7, 2021
    How anger can affect 'I am' in some people?
    An answer in which anger is felt, a form of intense emotional response, or antagonism toward someone or something, usually combined with an instinct for insult. Anger or rage is defined as emotions that are expressed through irritability. This modifies behavior both physically and cognitively, which significantly affects the person who feels it. Anger is often a sign of feeling threatened. A person in this state, he loses the ability to be objective and understand the consequences of his actions. Intense and uncontrolled anger is not a sign that you are strong, but that you are not able to control yourself and deal with problematic situations.

20. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    You're describing a f normal instinct/behavior if many species of mammals, nothing new here. Anger's a normal emotion. Thank God we have such emotion. Trying to not being affected by it or to others is plain stupid.