Completely baffled........

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by jason9922, Jun 7, 2013.

1. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    It has a Windows 7 Premium OS sticker and yes it is a Dell 17 R N7010. But it's the model that has the ram / hard drive cover on the bottom. You don't have to take the keyboard off this one to get at the hard drive and ram like the usual 17R N7010's. IDK if that helps. I've been trying to get to it to try what she told me earlier to do but I keep getting busy. After I try what YEN told me to do, I'll come back, let yall know what happened, and check out for the slic. THANKS FOR THE INPUT! MUCH APPRECIATED!! Also, The Windows 7 downloads YEN gave me the links to, I burned the ISO's to dvd's and they don't load. IDK why, I burned them three different ways using NERO at 4X and 2 other kinds of software. IMA work on it tonight. BE BAck with input.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #22 LatinMcG, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
    make sure EFI or secure boot is disabled.
    load default settings in bios.
    if disk u made works on other pcs.. u might have bad dvd drive or bad ram, if not the ram then try USB method for win7.

BIOS VERSION ON DELL SCREEN???

when u said linux stops it tells me its hardware fault.. likely bad cpu or hdd since u changed ram already.

try taking out hdd and boot usb only to see if linux loads... if it does then hdd is the problem.

3. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    I've tried a dozen different hard drives including new solid states. Bios see them all, gives the correct info on them and passes them and every piece of ram I've put through diagnostic. I don't know why the disks aren't working. They are simple burned ISO images that should boot but they are not. I'll be back in a few.

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Are you burning the discs the correct way i,e, not as a data disc you do not copy the ISO file to dvd and burn. You open the ISO file with nero then burn.

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    sorry It must have been because I wasn't burning it as a DVD, I just re burned it and now it works perfect on other laptops. I'm working on other stuff in between that's for clients so I apologize for the large gaps of time in between my responses but I really do appreciate the help and in about 20 minutes am finally going to be able to try to boot that disc in the 17R with the BIOS set to default. THANKS AGAIN!! BE BACK SOON!

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Take your time. :biggrin:
    Go straight step by step...and do not mix up things....lol. I have a look at here again tomorrow....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    K thanks YEN, I still haven't been able to try it yet. I will before the day is up. LOL

9. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Yeah I did that exactly as you told me, I removed the optical drive, put a brand new out of the package hard drive (that was originally purchased for another clients laptop, figured I'd give it a run in the Dell just to see) and ran the Windows 7 disc. All was well and when it went to the screen after you choose custom install where it's black and the Windows 7 logo appears after the three or four colors do the circle spins, that's where it keeps locking up then going to blue screen. This is the exact blue screen error it gives me: IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQAL at the bottom of the blue screen below all the normal info telling you that you have an issue with new hardware or software you've installed the exact error codes it leaves are 0X0000000 (0X000018EC, 0X00000000, 0X8BAB5EBE)

10. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    I did everything you told me to do Chen to the letter.. :( I am very sad that this brand new looking laptop is DOING THIS TO ME!! JUST WANNA KARATE CHOP IT!! LOL!!! :)
    Yeah I did that exactly as you told me, I removed the optical drive, put a brand new out of the package hard drive (that was originally purchased for another clients laptop, figured I'd give it a run in the Dell just to see) and ran the Windows 7 disc. All was well and when it went to the screen after you choose custom install where it's black and the Windows 7 logo appears after the three or four colors do the circle spins, that's where it keeps locking up then going to blue screen. This is the exact blue screen error it gives me: IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_OR_EQAL at the bottom of the blue screen below all the normal info telling you that you have an issue with new hardware or software you've installed the exact error codes it leaves are 0X0000000 (0X000018EC, 0X00000000, 0X8BAB5EBE)

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    hmm irql bsod (blue screen of death)
    if setting bios defaults dont fix it then likely its memory or board is bad.
    try 1 memory stick at time on each slot (sometimes slot is the problem)

12. jason9922

jason9922 MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Pretty sure its the board......Glad I spent so much time on this POS!!!!!! About an hour ago, went to power it on, NOTHING. NO POWER AT ALL!!! What a F joke... It's going to my repair dude and instead of me telling him "I just want these all to boot up, this time I'm going to leave a note saying, I want them all to boot up and be able to install Windows!!! IDK what they did last time I sent it in, it was doing the same thing. No power . Then they sent it back turning on, going to BIOS, everything passed in BIOS tests, but when it came time to install any OS or Linux whatever, BSOD every time..... Must be the Dell curse....