Coronavirus | Discussion

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Deleted member 1254778, Feb 28, 2020.

1. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #21 John Sutherland, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
    Does anyone care to hear about an ongoing epidemic that's far worse than Coronavirus? Bad driving! Every day in the U.S., about 100 to 110 people die in car accidents*, and this has been happening for nearly the last 70 years**! And yet there are no politicians or media types calling for mandatory driver training, or stricter licensing tests, or taking the car keys away from people in order to save lives, with the exception of repeat drunk driving offenders. When the Coronavirus reaches this level of death and carnage in this country, I'll start calling it an epidemic.

See this link and figure it out for yourself: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

*NOTE: Actually, my average of 100 to 110 is loosely based on 36,000 to 40,000 deaths per year. There were periods that were far worse. From 1966 to 1973, there were over 50,000 deaths per year, peaking above 54,000 in both 1972 and 1973. And again in the period between 1978 and 1980, the total deaths were above 50,000.

**In 1952, the number exceeded 36,000 for the first time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    The first thing I would do is have a reputable team working for me. Then I would make decisions based on their input, acknowledge the threat potential, and let the citizens know that the government is concerned, and on top of the situation exuding confidence, and empathy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    But people lose their licenses every day due to poor driving. Tickets create points and points get your license suspended. In our state we have upped training for novice drivers, and set very limiting conditions for them. I think a better analogy would be the lack of gun laws. People can by guns, and not have a clue how to use them.

4. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    I keep hearing the masks are no good what-so-ever.

5. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    #25 PointZero, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2022

6. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    #26 case-sensitive, Mar 10, 2020
    Faith , trust and belief are for people that dont know and dont understand things .

? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Canute_and_the_tide

Yes . Instead of dolphins , monkey and elephants we're now forced to watch corona .

Its a respiratory disease . Its spread from the lungs and mouth through hand contact and coughing ...... = flying spit wich doesnt go through the masks . We get it mainly from touching things like supermarket trolleys , hand rails in trains and busses and ...... money :)

7. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    At hysteria / fake news / divide and rule / bread and games / ' experts ' ....... where are the facts we need so that we can build our own overview ? ---- > http://coronaviruslivestats.com/ ?

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Your link:
    You really need to see somebody about these hateful delusions you are experiencing

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #29 Yen, Mar 10, 2020
    I had been on the way last weeks traveling (S/E Asia). Not China / Hong Kong, though.
    At the airports you can see lots of people wearing masks. And I talked to local people involved into tourism (and are dependent of it).

They have fear, not only because of own health.

You clearly can notice that the tourists stay away. (Cambodia / Thailand). Lots of have not taken their flights and have let lapsed their tickets...

At the bigger hotels they have nurses. They check any customer's temperatures at check-in and fill in a form.
    They have to report anybody.
    The same happens at immigration. They check anybody's temperature. Also when going onto a boat / ship.

It was fine for me. I could visit famous places without much tourists disturbing my experience (especially when shooting pictures).

Wearing masks does not help to get infected. But it prevents to infect others when you carry the virus already. Most people are not aware of that.

Also a proper hygiene helps. Washing hands properly and frequently.

Corona is much like a flu. If you are healthy you should have nothing to fear, your body can handle it.

The damage of Corona is mostly economical. Also the panic of many causes additional issues. (Panic buying and exorbitant prices for masks).

We here have around 1000 infected persons. Where I had been they had only 90.

I think it won't take a long time until one or two will get infected.
    Important is to apply measures which retard the spreading of the virus.

But not panic.

Either way..to some people should be made clear that to eat any animals to gain virility is a sort of BS and superstition and should not belong to a healthy human behavior!

And if something like that happens transparency and information is mandatory.

To keep things secret to mimic a nation that has seemingly anything under control is an old fashioned way of a dictatorship-like nation.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Are you referring to where this started in China? I think China is a communists/dictatorship already, and I do not know of anybody that would dispute that

11. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    and u understand things...dont think for second that u know me and i know more than u think.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes China.
    Anyway communists and dictatorship are not necessarily related.
    It depends on the leader..those with big egos are affected generally.

On the other hand I have seen that Chinese people got stigmatized.
    On a boat trip people changed their seats only because a Chinese-looking woman joint their seat row....even though I do not speak French I could understand that they talked about her.

They even did lie to her saying that they do change the seat row because of joining other French 'friends' at the back rows of the boat..instead of to admit the real reason....

13. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    italy has now 60 million people in lock down so down playing this is a understatement is more serious than people think.

14. There's been far worse cases of Asian people being discriminated because of this. Recently, a Singaporean student in the UK got jumped on by a couple of youths for fear that he had coronavirus.

Also, the whole thing is now classed as a "pandemic". I've always wondered though... how does this compare to the swine flu outbreak from eleven years ago? Did people unnecessarily stockpile or any lockdowns been done as it is for this situation?

15. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  16. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Why is this being hyped so much?
    We have had Swine Flu, we get the "what ever name" flu spreading around every year. We also have seen Ebola, H1N1 and more that I can not recall. I can not ever remember seeing so much hysteria about anything like this. It affects the elderly most and of those people the one's that are in danger are those with other health issues to begin with.
    From what I have heard so far, people under the age of 15 are not hardly affected at all. The normal Influenza kills more than this ConV19!
    Why are peeps freaking out about this?

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I think the media have changed. Reporting, journalism. The 'internet', news / fear are spreading within seconds...
    Also values such as materialism and capitalism are playing a bigger role. The way how people reflect 'the world' has changed.

More fear to lose 'something'....and more mistrust.
    Also the false idea that the own health is untouchable when applying 'the right' measures...

18. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    Tom Hanks test positive for corona virus hes old dude so we mite lose Forrest Gump:(

19. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #39 ipx, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think ol' Tom will be ok because he has no other known health issues. On a news report today he states him and his Mrs are doing ok

I suppose some folks will have to do something when they are in quarantine by themselves?