Dell laptop not booting up after Windows 10 update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Scott Stevens, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    First insert a Windows installation media (Pendrive or DVD when charging type repair your computer
    open Windows Explorer search for Windows\System32\search for .CMD.exe right click on it send shortcut to desktop right click again click on advanced properties click ok it and apply click ok on Run as Administrator then now you have power to run a lot of commands; as one I think is fundamental is: bcdedit /set bootmenupolicy legacy (see is for Windows 8.1 and Windows 10) this command permit you enter in security mode to solve any issue inside the O.S.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    Just to clarify that I've not physically removed the hard drive but simply used the Dell OS Recovery tool to backup the files (to a portable hard drive) before doing anything further.

I'm still in the same position as before but now I've salvaged all my files before doing anything further.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    It's weird that you want to fix something, upgrade something, but so far you haven't said what kind of hard drive you have. Nor did you say what OP system you owned on it and to what you wanted to upgrade it to.
    Also, you haven't said if your OP system was in order before upgrading. You just said you bought it 18 months ago. It is not known if it was new or used, or if you have upgraded, repaired, reinstalled your OP system in the meantime. If not, then most likely it is damaged and damaged system is not possible upgrade. Is only possible repair it or make clean install.
    More specifically - you have not provided any information but want help !
    Till now here is only one good and correct recommendation, sorry if somebody don't like what I said, but it's true. All others are misleading or absolutely wrong.
    Finally. You have absolutely nothing to do with the Dell recovery disk.
    Now go and backup Your important data, if there's something to backup at all. Maybe everything is alredy damaged now. And prepare Yourself to do a clean install. Do it as it should be done.
    If You need any kind of help, You must give info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    Wow, easy tiger! Wasn't expecting that kind of response. I think I have provided most if not all that info! Apologies if not crystal clear, but trying my best.

I tried to update (not upgrade, just the automatic prompts you get when an update is required) Windows 10 (the OS and update part is in the title post) but then I started having these boot problems immediately after this update.

I said I bought it from Currys (don't think they sell used laptops).

I have already said I have since backed up my data.

5. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    It's an inspiron 5577. I have since spoken to Microsoft about office and I can download it again once I've fixed my laptop from their website as its a lifetime license I bought, which is good news

6. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    how u recover your files in the state your hd is in.. u need to pull it out and attach it with especial cable to another machine and then u get the files out...and then wipe clean that hd and do a clean install....ofcourse if theirs no issue with the hd again that hd should be check for error.

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Try startup repair first I thought you had already tried that.

9. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    I tried all possible repair options previously without having downloaded Windows to my portable device.

By using the USB as my boot option it seems to have opened up many different options, including repairs.

10. dvgeek

dvgeek MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2010
    I have a Dell laptop too and faced the same issue. On investigating, I found that in BIOS boot mode for disk was set back to Legacy - changed it to UEFI and it booted again. Maybe this would help...

11. Scott Stevens

Scott Stevens MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2019
    Managed to get it working last night.

With the USB storage connected with the windows media I tried the following within advanced troubleshooting options:
    - Start-up repair
    - Uninstal updates (both 'quality' and 'feature')
    - System restore

The first 2 didn't fix the problem but the system restore to a previous point did.

Hopefully I won't have any more problems but time will tell.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments.

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Whether you like it or not, but if things were or are as you say, you did not correct anything but simply restored an old state where the system was still working. This does not mean that the problem has been corrected/fixed. Simply now You can begin everything again from beginning. And now is recommended to find the problem adn fix the system until everything repeats itself again and then you may no longer have the opportunity to go back in history like now it happens.

13. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
  14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    He did fix it and correct it.
    Also he knows it happened during the update in question.
    What's still unknown is the real cause.

OP should check if the update in question has been reverted, too. (update history).
    It should be offered again through WU.
    IF there should be a cause which is really related to this update, the issue should re-appear.
    If not it should get installed properly. At that case there's still two things to consider...

-It was an unique constellation which is not reproducible.
    -It is a latent hardware related issue and the drive is starting to lose data.

Either way it should be observed and recent backups should be made.

P.S.:
    Empathy for OP's situation is more of help than blaming....it's not a funny situation when the OS suddenly has boot issues... you should know that.....;)