Dell Studio 1537 BIOS bug?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by ackray, Nov 9, 2010.

1. ackray

ackray MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2010
    #1 ackray, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
    I was on the phone with Dell to unlock the password on this laptop. It appears there is a bug and the master password that Dell will give you is not Valid.

I also contacted an ebay based service center with my Service Tag number and they repeated that there is a bug.

This is my son's laptop and before I swap out the motherboard is it possible to wipe the BIOS file and upload a new one so that I can remove the BIOS password?

The password is set so that I cannot access the CMOS screen and make any changes. I have tried flashing with the latest Dell firmware but that did not remove the password.

What I would like to do is to re-flash the chip with a new BIOS and no password or to download the existing BIOS ROM and read/erase/change the password field in the ROM file.

Please let me know if this is considered possible.

Also if there is a better way to remove the CMOS password I'm interested. I have already removed the power, battery and MB battery to no use.

Is there a pin short I can attempt? or is there a jumper on the laptop's MB to clear the CMOS?

The BIOS chip is a phoenix.

Thanks!

2. tqhoang

tqhoang MDL BIOS Modder

Apr 29, 2008
    The Dell password(s) are not stored in the CMOS...usually in another memory chip. Unless you can find something on Google regarding how to find & erase the other chip, you'll have to ship it back to Dell.

3. ackray

ackray MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2010
    Thats a problem as Dell tech said the only option left was to replace the MB at my expense.

Thanks for the info!

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007