Description of the current reputation / thanks system.

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Yen, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Great!? ...but what if the trial fails? ;)

3. ennio

ennio Guest

I hope that one feature of this vB will work without a problem. Just hope, but don't believe.

4. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Depends on the fail....if it crashes permanently and makes board work even worse, we'll kick it until an update is there...but that's for us to see and find out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    Anyway to backup the current reps of all members,so that even if the thankyou system fails,we can restore it..

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No worries. Have disabled the rep system a few seconds. It simply disappears. (The green lights and the Rep Power info at the right hand side.) After enabling it it shows up all reps again.;)

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    We will install it soon...tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.....
    The current rep system will stay enabled during test period....

The thank you system will be restricted to the 'Beautiful Life' forums to test.

Check here again for latest news about...

8. pkaji123

pkaji123 MDL Addicted

Aug 22, 2009
    I wish it would be successful one..
    Will there be any rules for the thankyou system like the rep. as you stated above?

9. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #9 Yen, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
    (OP)
  10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Please read the announcement..the system will be online soon....

11. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    No matter what I say it's going to look like I want to keep the current rep system around just because mines godlike when compared to every other members... but no, thats not the case. Yes my rep may be high but it's not like I didn't earn it while making some 1,897 posts which in most cases have all been to help people.

I don't see why the current rep system can't link in with the thanks system, I much prefer seeing the green rep progress bar and while the thanks system may work now whats to say it will continue to work in the next few vBulletin updates? At any point they could put out an update that cripples the thanks system and then renders everyone with nothing at all.

I would say if you're going to switch to the thanks system and disable the rep system then you should first wait until vBulletin has got it's bugs fixed. Just my two cents.

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #12 Yen, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    (OP)
    I'll enable it the next minutes. Sure we can discuss if the old system will stay enabled, it's an option, yes...let's see how the next week will go...the post count is reflected by the icons...stars-->trophy-->bioschip...

Comments about if the old system should stay additionally are welcome..

Edit: To disable (switch off) the rep system doesn't mean to reset it. All counters will be remained (they just disappear), you just can't give the reps then...

13. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I mean the green rep bar under the trophies/bioschip, that one links in with the rep.

You could move the thanks system so that it goes in the order:
    As I said though personally I would wait until vBulletin has sorted out its bugs before completely disabling the rep system. To me that just seems the safer thing to do...

I'm not too bothered about not having my rep figure displayed though, most people know that I help out where I can and I have no doubt the thanks system will shoot up on my account just as the rep one did ;)

14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I would say we let both run for now and see how it goes. And yes I'm sure, members with high reps soon will get a lot of thanks!

Uhmm display order...I would have to go into the templates again...not sure if I will be able to, have to figure how it's implemented..not easy.......but I'll try later....

15. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It's doesn't matter if it's too hard to switch things around, it is after all just a suggestion. I figure it's best to give opinions and ideas before things are permanently in place as it's often harder to undo changes then it is to make them :)

16. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Right, Daz. I'm open for any comment and opinion, especially when made from valuable members like you. I also want to get familiar with vbulletin, I mean really familiar. I never was an forum's admin before and vbulletin 4 is very new to me. Also biosmodding was new to me, means I'm able to learn. :biggrin:

Anyway this php and template stuff is like biosmodding. One false move and the forums are screwed, since I can do modifications 'live' only...so I / we have to think twice what we are installing and what's worth to modify / tweak...the thank you system is one of the most popular mod made for vbulletin and I think it's good to have it here at MDL...

17. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Ah, I didn't realize you were making the changes live. I figured you were running a local copy and testing things there before then applying the changes here at MDL. Risky but then again you seem to know allot when it comes to BIOS modding so hopefully that rubs off on the php/vBulletin templates :p

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #18 Yen, Apr 3, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
    (OP)
    Yeah, only the admin (owner) of the site tests stuff on a local (other part of the) server. He gave me root access to the MDL server. I personally haven't the possibility to run a local server for tests....basically I didn't need that so far...and I'm not familiar to set up a server to run vbulletin.
    The admin trusts me coz he gave me root access. I have an account for admins at vbulletin so I can use support as well.
    I want to give my best and I neither want to disappoint him nor myself. It's exciting when I go online to the server and try to modify / install something...just like biosmodding..lol....

Edit: Hey Daz...24 times members thanked you already! And the system runs 2 hours only..

19. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Unfortunately there is no search function implemented for the vbulletin 4.0 version yet. I guess the author waits until vbulletin has fixed all the bugs..I expect an update hopefully, because it is much appreciated.

No the thanks system doesn't affect the rep system (no reps will be added).
    The MDL team thinks about to disable the original rep. system after some time.

I expect a controversy discussion about. :vertag:
    But now it's not the time to think about ...we let it run....

20. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I mentioned in my loader thread that people could use the thank system on post #1 so that I could see who my fans are and since the rep system may vanish at some point it's the next best thing for people to add something to.

As I've said I don't mind a switch to the system, you just need to time things right with vBulletin and everything should be fine. Hopefully as canouna mentioned there will be a way to track who thanked you and for what posts, I know most of mine will come from my thread but I got 6987 posts in there and any of them could have been thanked and currently I have no idea as to where some of them may come from if they ain't on post #1.