[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    #41 jiminheimer, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    Because it cannot be done. None has ever done it. I like solutions to problems rather than having an old clunky program back. I have customers that still cling onto Word Perfect, Microsoft Money, Microsoft Works. Learn to use new software. It's much easier in the long run.

2. jiminheimer

jiminheimer MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    *FacePalm* Huh?

3. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Those two sentences are actually contradictory! :)

@all May I remember to stay on topic, please.
    Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    Yes Yen, you may remember to stay on topic, and I hope you do.
    Somebody has to set a good example here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  6. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    So, nothing or no new ideas to attempt this ? I am hoping some hacker or someone with the skill to export the SXS files could give me an idea on how it's done...

I have 2 VM's setup, One with 10074 running WMC (Hacked and it thinks it's 8.1 WMC but, will not activate with any key and causes havoc with Win 10) and a clean 10074 vm, I attempted to copy everything related to WMC over to the clean VM, folders, registry settings, services, and any other part for WMC (I am/was a Media Center MVP and Certified from Microsoft in it, I know the subsystem of WMC pretty well).

I think I have enough pulled over to run the interface (might have some other issues but, if I can pass this I can tackle them one by one). I only get a security error now, I have checked all the GP related settings for WMC and it should be able to run, I think it's locked from running at the kernel level.

Windows cannot open this program because it has been prevented by a software restriction policy. For more information contact your system administrator.

This is what I have tried, listed over at TGB, if interested, maybe we can combine these threads to see if we can get progress on this.

(under 20 posts so cant post a link), go to thegreenbutton . tv \Windows Media Center Software \WMC add-ins and 3rd Party apps\Developers Corner and the thread is "Possible to port WMC from Win10 Preview build to final?"

Any technical input that might help out here ?

7. Superfly

Superfly MDL Expert

Jan 12, 2010
    Well it is unfinished MDL business - I think a member "100" started something a long time ago - true, no-one has progressed on that initial attempt but no reason to give up...

Guess not, but also hoping we can get this project back up (albeit I don't use WMC)... I suspect a kernel hook or something may be required.

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    10074 WMC is activable with mstoolkit

That's the point where anyone who tried hit a wall.

While the w10 problem is a novelty, having WMC running on WHS2011 (and his brother SSE2008r2) is a long standing dream for a lot of users interested on the matter (me included)

I believe that what's needed is a two step process, one is the emulation of the DISM installation process, which is a complicated process but not impossible to get (and the ways to do so are way more than one), the step two is to patch the relevant files to avoid the kernel "trap", and that's way harder at least for my personal skills

9. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    #51 DavidinCT, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Think I have a copy of that sitting around someplace, I'll give it a shot... It will give me more time to play with it and the "ACTIVATE ME" message is getting really freaking annoying..

Yea, I think this is where we/I am at too, WMC does a check when it starts up, We need the eshell.exe patched for this or this project is not going anywhere.

I kind of figured it was eshell.exe because if you look at the crash log (on TGB), you will see it orders the way the app loaded, you can see the eshell.exe go, then the kernel, showing that it's the 2nd file it accessed and with my test, it kicks the security error.

I also do not have the skills to do patching of files like this, nor do I know where to start on this aspect.

If WMC can be patched to get it to run on Windows 10, then I am sure it will run on WHS 2011 as well, as I would almost bet that is the issue your having.

WMC build in WIndows 10 is the build that is in WIndows 8/8.1, It even shows it in the license terms (Windows 8.1), I guess if we are doing it for the best result, I think we would want the Windows 7 version (not stripped down in a few features).

OT: Kind of funny, I actually have more Likes than I have posts, from all my time on assorted forums I have never seen that before :)

THanks all, I hope we can find a way to do this, I AM very passionate about WMC, if you saw my twitter page, you would know for sure...

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

Yes. I think that from WMC POV world is diveded just in two. WMC enabled and not enabled hardly clint v.s. server will be an additional problem.

One more from me, so you can keep you record. :p

11. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    What "3rd party alternatives" are you referring to? Windows Media Center and Tivo are the only "3rd party" non-Cable company DVR options available to people who want to record and home distribute ATSC, HD cable programming.

The "alterternatives" do not have CableLabs certification and can not record protected content -- it doesn't matter if you have a CableCard or not. You can't do it.

12. JakeStockton

JakeStockton MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2013
    Then tell ME, how to get your recorded HDTV programs off of the cable co DVR soI can archive them for prosperity -- remove commercials, transcode, etc.

Tivo can sort of do this, but then I need a Tivo in every room! We are going backwards.......

If Microsoft would come out and say, "We have a new great DVR feature coming to the Xbox One" I would be OK, with that. I just hate how this "new Microsoft" is being passive aggressive by not addressing the needs of their current customers. If they were going to "kill Media Center" they should have stated that long ago -- they have still not made an official statement beyond a blog post and/or tweet. This is not the Microsoft I have been so fond of for many decades.

13. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Everyone can I just ask a simple favor, Let's keep the discussion of "3rd party alternatives" to another thread ? I am helping on this thread because of the passion for Windows Media Center, fans of WMC don't really care about the 3rd options that don't do everything as seamless and easy to use like WMC.

This discussion is not about what to replace WMC with, it's about how to get WMC in Windows 10. Thanks !

Now does anyone know about patching files, so the eshell.exe can be patched to stop the kernel check ? This is our next step to move forward with this project.

14. FreelanceX

FreelanceX MDL Junior Member

Dec 6, 2012
    I am actually quite surprised how many people still record tv through their PC. Maybe in ignorance, but I thought people were moving away from this due to the proliferation of things such as Tivo. I haven't used Media Center since XP.

I have Tivo (Virgin Media UK) and I have Plex. The aforementioned holds all the crap my wife records, the later holds all the good stuff I acquire. Not enough good TV now days to warrant recording to my PC. Obviously all of this is personal opinion and preference.

Either way, I am very interested in the progress of this. Getting this to run on Windows 10, even though I wouldn't use it personally, would impress me.

(Sorry if slightly off topic)

15. shawnmos

shawnmos MDL Member

Oct 27, 2007
    TIVO requires a subscription. WMC is free (after the initial investment). I have a 1TB hard drive dedicated to just recordings, plus a 3 tuner cable card and a 2 tuner clear QAM setup (so I can record 5 things at once, though only 3 can be encrypted channels).I have my main PC separate from the TVs but I have two xbox360s which work as extenders. The one in the living room we already had, I just had to buy a second one for the bedroom. Got one from cowboom a few years back for $60. I watch premium recorded HD TV in my living room, hit stop, go into the bedroom and then resume from where I left off.

Nothing else can do this, unless I want to spend a fortune and rent cable boxes from the cable company. I have been using Media Center since 2006 and will continue to use it in the forseeable future. So it would be really nice if someone here could get it working on Windows 10! :worthy:

16. FreelanceX

FreelanceX MDL Junior Member

Dec 6, 2012
    I guess our needs are very different... Lets hope enough people share yours mate.

17. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    For the record WMC is still available on 10122

18. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Porting WMC over to W10 shouldn't be to hard in case they actually remove the SKU, but as it's all license locked you will need to insert the license files for WMC sku that you may not be able to activate but that seems to be no problem in W10 where a unactivated copy may actually not have any limitations like previously so you could probably build some WMC frankenstein W10 build if you really need WMC and W10, they just don't want to give any support for WMC which is probably the only reason they actually remove it.