[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Updated my WMC Installer to v1.0.324.0.

2. crusin

crusin MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Which version of windows are you testing this on? 1809 or the upcoming 1903. The reason I ask is that from my observation 1903 is reacting different towards WMC than the past versions.

3. crusin

crusin MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Which version of windows are you using? the current 1809 or the upcoming 1903. I have no issues with WMC on my HTPC using 1809 its been running great. I have been testing the soon to be released 1903 and so far its not going well. I have tried 8.8.2,8.8.3, with Scark007 and without. replaced the CPFiters.dll which keeps WMC from shutting down on its own. I am just looking forward and sharing my observation.

4. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Sadly, I can confirm I'm seeing the same behavior on a fresh Windows 10 1903 18343 virtual machine.
    I started taking a look at what could be causing that, but no luck so far. I suspect it will be a tough one.

5. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Since I don't have a suitable WMC hardware or service I did tested only the WMC execution on v1903 but not it's functionality.

6. crusin

crusin MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Its good to see the interest in keeping WMC alive,Thank you. I tried your latest installer on 1903 without luck and thought I would share a couple of things I came across. When I run WMC setup it hangs on "Downloading TV Setup". Also during setup as seen in task manager under Processes it brings up Windows Media Player under WMC. Hope this helps. Capture.JPG Capture2.jpg

7. Kévin Chalet

Kévin Chalet MDL Member

Apr 11, 2019
    @crusin it's still not clear why, but for some reasons, WMC keeps loading the MsVidCtl.dll contained in System32 for some operations: replacing it by the one embedded in our package seems to work around the issue.
    Of course, this is not really ideal as it's not a long-term solution, but it will unblock you until I find the root cause of that.

8. crusin

crusin MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    Thanks Kevin, replacing MsVidCtl.dll did the trick but I also had to replace CPFilters.dll to keep the program running. Perhaps a version 8.8.4 for 1903? good luck. Cheers.

9. LRo

LRo MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2016
    I’m so sorry! It’s a 1809 I have. I haven’t looked before, because I thought that I would always get the last Version when downloading an iso from Microsoft.
    I had to install from scratch after I got the 1903 update, because windows didn’t boot anymore. I tried a lot repair options but nothing worked. So I installed the system from scratch with a freshly downloaded iso, thinking this is 1903. I really should have looked before. Really sorry for that.

10. Gareth North

Gareth North MDL Junior Member

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi StefanR and Kevin

DVBLink was developed up till May of 2017 but nevertheless still licenses and works and you get a 30 day trial of it if you download a copy and I still paid for my 1 years Guide data subscription. Its an amazing produc you can integrated IPTV into your Media Center guide backup channel lineups and has lots of other cool aspects about it. I will produce / and have been meaning to produce a video showcasing how brilliant a DVBLink and Media Center setup can be not least because you can make your own Homebrew Media Center Extender using it!

Quick question to you both how do I practically call / use the /surviveehschedtermination command to keep ehtray alive? Not sure what your both talking about! I'm guessing but is it something along the lines of putting ehtray.exe ./surviveehschedtermination into a batch file?

Best Regards

Gareth

11. Gareth North

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi StefanR and Kevin

DVBLink was developed up till May of 2017 but nevertheless still licenses and works and you get a 30 day trial of it if you download a copy and I still paid for my 1 years Guide data subscription. Its an amazing produc you can integrated IPTV into your Media Center guide backup channel lineups and has lots of other cool aspects about it. I will produce / and have been meaning to produce a video showcasing how brilliant a DVBLink and Media Center setup can be not least because you can make your own Homebrew Media Center Extender using it!

Quick question to you both how do I practically call / use the /surviveehschedtermination command to keep ehtray alive? Not sure what your both talking about! I'm guessing but is it something along the lines of putting ehtray.exe ./surviveehschedtermination into a batch file?

Best Regards

Gareth

12. Joni

Joni MDL Junior Member

May 28, 2009
    Im still on 1703. In the past WMC didn't start with remote or scheduled recordings break with newer versions than 1703. Has anything changed with new versions?

13. StefanR

StefanR MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2015
    #9173 StefanR, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Hi Gareth,

If you use Kevin's 8.8.3 installer, it automatically creates a link to ehtray.exe in your startup folder, with the /surviveehschedtermination command. I already had WMC installed, so what I did was:
    1. Go to the c:\windows\ehome directory, right click on ehtray.exe and select 'copy'
    2. Go to your desktop, right click and select 'paste as shortcut'
    3. Right click on the shortcut and select 'properties'
    4. Add the /surviveehschedtermination command line switch in the target box, so that it reads C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe /surviveehschedtermination
    5. Hold down Windows key + r and in the run box type 'Shell:common startup'
    6. Drag your shortcut from the desktop into the startup folder that appears.
    7. Reboot
    Now ehtray runs each time you start the machine, and continues to run in the background, even if WMC is not running or recording.

Hope that helps!

14. Gareth North

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi Stefan,

Thanks for replying! I didn't realise that you were both talking about the ehtray.exe icon being launched from the start-up folder. That's really a neat little trick doing it that way! I have my media centre icon shortcut to launch media centre in there. Just tried it now and it works a treat! Also going to try clearing out the copy of ehome folder I put in program files to disable full screen optimisations now that all you need to do is rename ehshell.exe to myehsehll.exe and keep it in the windows ehome folder. That's a lot neater also! Thanks Stefan and Kevin for your help!!

Best Regards

Gareth

15. mark frankland

mark frankland MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2019
    #9175 mark frankland, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    HI and thanks to everyone involved in trying to keep Media Center alive in Windows 10. I haven't yet upgraded from windows 7 because of mainly I need Media Center. Please can someone with the knowledge answer me a few questions.
    1. Does Windows Media Center work correctly with the latest version of Windows 10 ?
    2. Does DVBLink work in Media Center on Windows 10 ?
    3. Does Media Center Studio work with windows 10 ?
    4. Does EPG Collector work with Windows 10
    These are all essential for my setup as I have a subscription for DVBLink and run IPTV through it.
    Thanks for any help and keep up the good work.

I have been reading the threads but it is getting confusing with all the different versions of the installer to understand what works best.

16. crusin

crusin MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2009
    @LRo no problem. officially 1903 isn't out, I created my own ISO from https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...d-18362-1-pc-fast-slow-rp-19h1_release.79259/. If you want to try again, try replacing the two dll from my last post #9170. I saved them from V1809 "Thanks Kevin Chalet"

17. Gareth North

Jan 27, 2016
    Hi Mark,

In Answer to your questions:-

1) If you mean 1803 Version of Windows 10 Yes 1809 and 1903 problematic not got past 1803 yet as...
    2) DVBLInk works up till 1803 Ambidextrous a user on this forum says he got it working in 1809 but I cannot replicate how he managed it
    3) Not sure about Studio but its alternative MCE Reset toolbox which include Start Screen Tile menu manipulations does
    4) Yes EPG Collector works

18. mark frankland

Apr 9, 2019

19. mark frankland

Apr 9, 2019
    Hi, Gareth North. Thank you for your reply. Because I have not upgraded to windows 10 yet I am unsure of the versions. I just assumed when people mention say 1903 that is with the latest updates from Microsoft. My concern is if we can't upgrade windows 10 and keep media center running what are the options ? because I know windows 7 stops receiving updates after January 2020 and so won't be a safe system to run. Surely if we can't update windows 10 with the latest updates that too would be unsafe ?
    Are we saying I could just stay with 1803 and have no problems ?

20. aquadextrous

aquadextrous MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2017
    Hi Gareth,
    This link is the version of WMC i am using on Windows 10 1809 and am able to use DVBLink with - obviously uninstall all other WMC files you have before installing this one (I have only used blue) - and with this version you will have to add all .dll files and change the encdec registry entry manually. I also copy the ehome directory to use the disable full screen hack. I guess once WMC is installed and the dll and registry edits are in place it's probably worth running the DVBLink installer and 'repairing' the installation, if DVBLink is already installed, then run TV setup. I'm not sure what you've tried already but doing all the manual stuff on this version worked for me.

PSA for other forum visitors - This is an older version of the WMC installer and i dont recommend you use it as newer versions make life much easier, however if you're having trouble playing live TV channels on newer WMC installs because you use DVBLink then it's worth a try!

Hope this helps!
    Anthony
    Can't post links; add https:// - 1drv.ms/u/s!AjxorK5T2fbBoukZPar2BFp-GbTiyA