[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. technodevotee

technodevotee MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2015
    #9281 technodevotee, May 24, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    I have 8.8.3 running on 1903 and it works just as it did in 1809 except that I had to roll back MSVidCtl and CPFilters in system32.

2. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    Anyone who has been following my ongoing investigations into running WMC with App Paths may be interested to know that my claim wasn’t entirely false after all: Running V12 using app paths with old DLLs in ehome and new DLLs in system32 DID work on 1803 for some recorded TV shows. Just not all of them. For that, I needed to roll back MSVidCtl in system32.

I proved it by reverting and testing my Living Room PC to make sure I wasn’t going completely mad.

No doubt there are some of you who think I am – I mean who would want to run V12 anyway?

Well, I do, because I want to run WMC full screen in RDP for remote admin purposes. I know that you can’t play live or recorded video in a remote session and that extenders don’t work but I don’t need either of those things. I just don’t want to have to keep switching from windowed to full screen and back all the time because it is a PITA.

I have built a V12/8.8 hybrid installer so that I can install it on 1809 and 1903 as well.

I named it Version 13 because it has been a bit of a nightmare. Unfortunately, it currently needs all the workarounds that V12 needed - I still need to install EncDec and switch out MSVidCtl in system32 but it does everything I want and it installs and runs fine on every PC with every version of Windows build I have.

There are several interesting things that came out of all of this.

The properties on the shortcut ARE available again so I can set the required options to make it run full screen on all my PC without any other modification. No need for launcher or other hacks.

I can also set both the PC and WMC to 5.1 surround and run the speaker test. This is important to me because other software I use needs windows sound to be set to 5.1 to work properly.

3. guymontag

guymontag MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2016
    Just got it working. 8.8.2 on 1903 x64

I used 8.8.2 and initially it wouldn't playback anything (either no video or a crash referencing MSVidctl), but once I replaced MSVidctl.dll in \windows\system32 with the version in ehome using NSudo (a previously unnecessary step and NOT any other version - I had previously used the version from the 1709 CD) it all started working.

I didn't need to touch either CPfilters nor do the previous encdec.dll restore with registry edit necessary for v12.

Limited testing so far, but looks like I'm good.

4. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I'm sure Microsoft had a lot of reasons - but their vision of the future certainly didn't involve cable, satellite or terrestrial TV. They probably thought they were going to make a killing selling streaming media through their store or some other offering.

They publicly stated that WMC would no longer be supported years ago and there has been no official updates to it for donkeys' years. But I don't think they are purposely sabotaging it - it is just that they keep breaking *everything* with updates and *everyone* is constantly playing catch up.

It was very tightly integrated into Windows and when it was a supported product, Microsoft would have ensured that any Windows updates didn't break it. Now they don't care about it so it can't be expected to continue working when everything else is constantly changing.

5. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    Thanks for that. I have just installed 8.8.3 and everything seemed to go well. No message about tuners in use. Correct EPG downloaded. Unfortunately this won't play any recorded TV or live channels. Programme closes immediately I try either of these. No error messages. I tried the MSVidctl.dll replacement but this has made no difference. I didn't use NSudo as I wasn't aware of that utility but just took ownership of the .dll and renamed the one already in system32 and then copied the one from ehome. Maybe I should try 8.8.2?
    I am using Blackgold twin DVB-T2 tuner and running win 10_64 1903 : OS Build 18362.116. Prior to updating to this build I had been using 8.8.1 without any issues.

6. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    I had to roll back CPFilters.dll in system32 to stop it exiting on playback.

The easiest way to replace DLLs is to run _testrights.cmd in the installer. It calls NSudo to open a command prompt as trustedinstaller and you can do almost anything you need from there.

7. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    technodevotee said "I had to roll back CPFilters.dll in system32 to stop it exiting on playback."

Many thanks for that. The first older version of CPFilters.dll that I tried gave me a message that the WMC trial version was now finished! I then found an older version, 10.0.14393.0 from around 2016 (64 bit) and added that to the system32 folder. Bingo! WMC 8.8.3 now running successfully on Win 10 1903.
    Many thanks for the advice. I'll have a look at NSudo for future reference but currently I use a (downloadable) registry hack that allows you to take ownership of any file. I have found it useful on many occasions. You can also reverse it. It adds the option to the File Explorer. Its good to know that WMC lives a bit longer. I'll really miss it if and when MS finally kills it off.

8. GREBERT

GREBERT MDL Junior Member

Apr 1, 2019
    HELLO

I HAVE WINDOWS 10 1903 AND WMC 8.8.3 AND WHEN I REQUEST INSTALLATION OF THE TV SIGNAL I AM UPDATED PLAY READY AND INCOMPLETE THE COUP I HAVE NO POSTERS CHANNELS TV OR SOUND IF I DO NOT UPDATE

9. Pinocchio009

Pinocchio009 MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2013
    It's not working to me too after update to 1903. But i found a free TV program SichboPVR which can use it easily.
    hope it can help others who still looking a way to watch TV on PC for free.:cool:

10. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    @GREBERT
    I would like to help you but can't understand what you are telling us. I'm guessing that English isn't your first language and be better to write in your own language in case someone here CAN understand you.

It would be really helpful to other users if you describe problems you are having in more detail - it doesn't work isn't much to go on. Who knows, someone may be able help you get it working.

11. Bigal

Bigal MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    any update

12. GREBERT

Apr 1, 2019
    #9292 GREBERT, May 28, 2019
    Last edited: May 28, 2019
    WMC 8.8.3 COME NOT TO DOWNLOAD THE PLAYREADY UPGRADE I DO NOT HAVE IMAGE OR SOUND

WMC 8.8.3 ARRIVE PAS A TELECHARGER LA MISE A JOUR DU PLAYREADY DU COUP JE N EST PAS D IMAGE NI DE SON

13. teodorin

teodorin MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2018
    Hopefully the next version of WMC x.x.x. solve the problem for those who have updated Windows 1903, I am currently in 1809 until the problem is solved.
    It does not compensate me to update and lose the functions of Windows Media Center

14. ChrisJohn

ChrisJohn MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2015
    Just to confirm. 8.8.3 does work on Windows 1903. I am watching live TV as I type this. I just had to replace the two .dll files in the system32 folder as previously described. MSVidctl.dll and CPFilters.dll. Note I am running Windows 10 64 bit.

15. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    #9295 MSMG, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Since I do neither have a WMC capable tuner hardware and or I do have a cable/satellite service to test the WMC, I'm only adding the fixes that's being posted here, if there's any new fix available then will update the WMC Installer.

16. GREBERT

Apr 1, 2019
    [QUOTE = "technodevotee, post: 1527340, membre: 613937"] This is a perfect work in English, as-you regarded [/ QUOTE ]

MAY BE FORCE THIS UPDATE

17. WGMaker

WGMaker MDL Novice

Jul 11, 2016
    The version of CPfilters.dll I have is 10.0.1.17763.134 from W10 1809. Was that the one that didn't work for you? Any idea where I can get that 10.0.14393.0 version?

18. GREBERT

Apr 1, 2019

SAID ME OR THIS FIND C IS FILE TO CHANGE THAT I REPLACE MINE FROM SYSTEM32 TO SEE

19. technodevotee

Sep 18, 2015
    #9300 technodevotee, May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    You should be able to get the DLL from the windows.old folder, older DVD or ISO. If you don't have any of those things, PM me and I'll send you a link to a zip file with files that work.