[DISCUSSION] Patch WMC to run on Windows 10 final & possible alternatives

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ricktendo64, May 8, 2015.

1. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    I deep getting error 87 The parameter is incorrect. Can you post the command as you would run it if files are on C:\

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    #162 abbodi1406, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Rename the extracted files first to Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer
    Code:
    Dism /Online /Add-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackagePath:C:\Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer.appxbundle /LicensePath:C:\Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer.xml

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    OK I have one file called Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer.appxbundle, and the other is Microsoft.WindowsDVDPlayer.xml and I get error 5 access denied.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Put the files in sub-directory C:\app

system drive root always has more protected access

5. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Every where I go access denied. I even copied the app folder to D, to know avail. :(

6. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    So, far after few test.. It seems the Windows DVD Player App needs Windows Store App and Client to be present in order to install and work properly and also after installing the Windows DVD Player App one needs to be reboot the system in order to run the App else it will keep displaying the App loading progress bar in the Start Menu.

If you had removed all Metro Apps and then install Windows DVD Player App then sometimes it gives error while installing and sometimes even if it installs it won't run

Also the Windows DVD Player App works Online Installation but doesn't work with Integrated Installl.wim method.

7. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Run the command in a Administrator Command Prompt

8. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    #168 dhjohns, Aug 3, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
    That is where it is happening in cmd as admin. :( Anyway the app itself is BS. Not worth the trouble, I just wanted to see it, but that is ok, thanks for the help.

9. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    No offence, but why hijack a WMC dedicated thread with the efforts to install such useless dvd player app?

10. bmurphr1

bmurphr1 MDL Junior Member

Aug 19, 2009
    If all of these Windows Media Center threads are going to be locked and redirected to this singular thread, can we at least rename the thread "Official Removal of WMC from Windows 10 thread?" Not to criticize the admins directly, but I've seen over a dozen threads locked and redirected to this thread and there are multiple discussions happening on different aspects of WMC and it makes looking for things infinitely difficult for people who know nothing of WMC being deleted from W10.

11. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
  12. panmat

panmat MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2009
    In really easy stages

13. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #175 T-S, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    It's explained in the previous pages.

Anyway, in short.

Install dvblink on a real machine (could be the current PC or another across the LAN), and tune the channels.

Install Vmware (tested v10 and 11)

Install a WMC enabled OS inside Vmware (tested Thin PC and Win8)

Possibly tweak the virtual machine disabling any unnecessary service and APP to keep the RAM usage as low as possible.

Install the DVBlink network client on the virtual machine, configure it and configure WMC.

Configure Vmware Unity on the real W10 machine, to have a seamless integration.

That's all

For the remote control use a network based one, or redirect the commands using Eventghost + the network sender/network receiver plugins.

P.S. Yes Dvblink v.4.1.1 is fine

No, Virtualbox is not fast enough.

14. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    Ok, now that the RTM has been out for a few days now (as buggy as it is), I would like to see again if it is POSSABLE to patch or hack Windows Media Center into Windows 10 RTM. This topic has gone off discussion so let's bring it back down to the subject on hand.

Build of Windows 10 by build of Windows 10, I have been capturing the packages for Windows Media Center with "Aunty Mel's Cheap And Nasty SxS Package Extractor" into cab files, now if I try to run these using the Dism.exe tool, it gives me a version mismatch error that wont allow me to install them. I was able to capture these with the help of the OP ( ricktendo64)

Now is there a way to force or HACK these packages to be installed on current builds ? If so, we might just need the eshell.exe patched to skip the kernel check and we should be able to get it running. The otherside of it is, guide data, Playready and the other components for WMC, the old Media player is in Windows 10, so the media libraries in WMC should work fine.

If you think you MIGHT be able to do it, and would like access to one of these that I captured, hit me up via PM and I will share a folder so you can access it. I don't want to publicly post them due to MS possible reading this forum.

I would love to get this discussion back to the topic on hand and let's see if it's actually possible to get Windows Media Center running in Windows 10 with very minor or no issues in WMC.....

Thanks all !

15. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    You may see differences between versions using http: //diffoscope.org

16. dexter74

dexter74 MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2010
    hello,

when launch my media center take

This application requires one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: 2.0.50727

ehshell.exe.config is file to blocked

help

17. DavidinCT

DavidinCT MDL Addicted

May 9, 2015
    What have you tried ? Were you able to get WMC started on Windows 10 RTM ? What did you do to get it installed ? I ran into that issue too about .Net when I just copied files over to a new build. Still gave me a security error about running.

18. Graznok

Graznok MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    I could extract MediaCenter~amd64.cab and MediaCenter~amd64~en-US.cab from 10122 and 10130 builds but I cannot run ehshell.exe (after extacting back CAB files into a folder on RTM). EhShell does't nothing. What did you do to run ehshell.exe?