[DISCUSSION] Windows 10 Final Build 19041/2/3 (PC) [20H1/2 / 21H1 vb_release]

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Enthousiast, Dec 10, 2019.

1. rcstar6696

rcstar6696 MDL Senior Member

Jun 11, 2017
    #6941 rcstar6696, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    I haven't talked to Max ever since both of us stopped developing custom ROMs for Sony's smartphones. I only got this account because Max claimed his name on this forum for Windows Phone/Mobile stuff, but later didn't want any sort of data breach because it was left unused, so rather than deleting the forum account he just decided to transferred the account to me instead. Do I have plans to change the account's name? Not any time soon. If it has worked for several years, why change it?

Having my stuff crawled only for journalists (e.g. from Wccftech, WindowsLatest, etc.) to make an official news about what I've said without a confirmation from the relevant teams is a complete mess - just like with what happened to the whole Sets feature debate (in Insider builds) several years ago where none of the journalists came to us for confirmation about xyz.
    Are you seriously blaming a company for resetting something that most users use crippled privacy tools which people never knew that it uses unsupported, and undocumented registry keys which aren't migrated with major OS builds of Windows 10? Not surprising at all, and this whole unsupported, and undocumented registry keys has always worked this way for decades. Why are people learning about this just now? Heck - even Microsoft employees have to keep creating registry keys (especially on daily builds) every once in a while because of our IT department, CSEO, whose name was previously called MSIT, that shoves down useless group policies and registry keys at our throat.

Never have I ever seen that sort of issue happen on my end because I've always used clean official ISOs than using poorly made converters available on the internet. How about do exactly what I've done and then report back?

That's complete bulls**t. I know that isn't true because I (partially) worked on the telemetry system - you're literally arguing with someone who has knowledge on how telemetry is all utilized in the real world. It sounds as if you've never used Diagnostic Data Viewer to check the data for yourself and spewing out random crap here that doesn't make much sense.

You can build your own tools to mimick Diagnostic Data Viewer's output and you'll still receive the exact same data. There's nothing about Diagnostic Data Viewer that has "cherry picked" data or "incomplete" data. It's accurate, and in real-time. There's nothing wrong with that.

All of the telemetry data that's collected goes through an extensive review process, and that includes Microsoft's Speech recognition. Anything personal identifying information is permanently removed from the servers if found at all.

Microsoft has always been transparent about telemetry, and privacy ever since Satya took over Microsoft, and my point still stands, even today and have been since the RS2 (Insider) development of Windows. So what part of (telemetry and privacy) transparency you don't understand? We have our own official scripts (available on Microsoft Docs) to turn off various endpoints if you think a particular domain is invading your privacy rather than using poorly made "tools" to hose your operating system. The Microsoft Edge team has its own documentation on what's being collected too and that has been posted to Microsoft Docs, though for other products it's posted somewhere else. Any particular reason why you need an opt out button on a local account on a consumer edition of Windows when it's literally not PII and is meant to keep your your device secure? If you connected your Microsoft account to your PC then you can clear out everything off from the servers.

All Microsoft applications' and services' telemetry are heavily tied into the DiagTrack service. If you've used Insider builds - you'll see a change in Manganese (196xx) builds that'll now allow you to permanently disable telemetry with a simple switch on Enterprise, Education, and Server. Why was this changes made? Because of all of this privacy controversy surrounding Windows 10 that are currently floating around the internet.

It's still quite ironic and unbelievable that people who care about privacy and think that it's all "spying" use social media or anything else online to begin with.

There's a reason why A/B testing exists and not having one defeats the purpose of the Windows Insider Program. Gabe Aul never envisioned the Windows Insider Program to be "to just test features." it has always been to "send feedback and help us make a better product." A/B testing is a mechanism to study an impact of a change, and there's quite a lot of features in development for Windows. Did you know that there are different variations of Start Menu, and other features? How will that all be tested without A/B testing on the same codebase with real-time monitoring? You can't - isolating changes without A/B testing is near impossible, even for Google with such a large userbase. Data becomes more or less useless without it because of the amount of times the metrics change from time to time, and each version or build of Windows contains a lot of changes, especially under the hood. If you think that everything is possible, then why not join Microsoft and come and help us? You seem "smart."

A skeleton crew of (QA) testers for Windows has always existed. I'm not sure exactly where you got that statement from, but the role that got killed off was SDET and not STE. There's a big difference for both of them: SDETs were responsible for writing (code) unit tests and were never even responsible for testing the UX/UI of Windows, whereas, STEs were responible for the testing the UX/UI of Windows. We still had a quality org for Windows even after that role killing and merging (SDET's job responsibilities into SDE) happened.

We don't care about GDPR anymore? What - where did you get that from? We do care, and I'm not sure what your evidence is here that supports "we don't care about GDPR at all." Even for our Microsoft employees in Europe, telemetry is completely opt out (and we've done that by law) for internal builds of products, and those using our corporate network, and outside of EU, that's a completely different story.

Now, you're part of the problem here, because you're building poorly built "tools" to remove all of that which can be done by no scripts at all by uninstalling them straight from the Start Menu. No wonder why people are using such poorly built "tools" such as online package removal, "bloatware" removal, etc. and hosing their own operating systems and making it unsecure and unpatched. Do you know the amount of times people have to talk to SwiftOnSecurity about it? Yeah, I'll let you think about that. It's hundreds of complaints per month, and SwiftOnSecurity is an MVP that has a very, very close connection with Microsoft.

The offensive part here is your assumption that we can "unanonymize" data and use it to do whatever and not care about what's going on. We've put quite a lot of effort to operate ethically, and create a product that we're all happy to use. If we didn't follow GDPR laws properly, we would've been bankrupt by now despite earning billions of dollars per year company-wide. Yes, you heard that straight: billions of dollars per year, billions of dollars per year.

The intrusive parts of Microsoft Edge is something we've zero, zero control over. That decision was made by the marketing team to make the numbers, both market share and the amount of people using it monthly, look good. The Microsoft Edge team who develops the application on a daily to day basis doesn't like it either, we've tried convincing the marketing team about it and it was simply ignored, and I'm not sure what you want me to do? Do I look like Satya Nadella to you? You can hear Missy's own complaints about that on Reddit. Not sure who she is - have you been living under the rock lately?

Now - you know what else is transparent? My passion: DMCA (alongside my partnership with the CELA team). I'm sure the administrator of this forum (@Yen) will be notified about that in the future (and that'll happen sooner rather than later once I get around that). I'm quite strict as to what (Microsoft) tools should be allowed on the internet or not. It's neither censorship or anything new as majority of those "useful" tools are EULA breaking. Oh wait - didn't someone here say that we now focus on taking legal action on business? I don't believe there was a Microsoft employee on this forums before, but now I'm on a full-time role (as said previously) and therefore have the privileges to partner up with teams and act of my behalf to issue legal DMCA claims. Remember back when r/piracy was temporarily shutdown because of the tens or hundreds of DMCA claims and the Reddit CEO had to act on it?

Now let me get back to work to focus on what I need to do to be successful within my role, and earn quite of bit of promotions from it because you all are making it that easy for me by being vulnerable. The forum will sure be a bit different in the future by the time I come back here in several years of time :).
    I'm not sure what makes you think that this is the first time that this has been happening, I've been here monitoring this forum for a long time - notice how this account was created back in 2018, had many posts in early-mid 2019, and not so much in 20(20|21).

2. PiratePaprika

PiratePaprika MDL Novice

May 17, 2020
  3. ceo54

ceo54 MDL Senior Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I apologies for not reading the newspaper's length of post but this particular line has caught my eye and as a user I disagree with forced telemetry. Users should have an option to opt out should they choose to like previous version of Windows allowed the users to and they still innovated and developed at rapid pace, please tell me without forcing the telemetry down our throats for decades, how did Windows 10 and it's mandatory telemetry came to be ?

Also, opt-out means complete opt-out not partial opt-out, not semi-partial opt-out. I don't want my machine and my data to be used as a testing ground for improving beta products and it's my right to refuse this and I'm being denied my basic right by the tech giants Google and such.

4. mdl052020

mdl052020 MDL Addicted

May 31, 2020
    O My God such a big lengthy Comment :eek:

5. BAU

BAU MDL Addicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Are you threatening me / others / this forum or did I misread that? :roflmao: Please mark your posts as sarcasm, otherwise you might scare some kids and that's breaking the forum rules. If you are actually working for microsoft and have been silent about it in order to DMCA troll, that's kinda morally bankrupt - not that it makes any difference, my first impression would not place you anywhere near the inner layers of the microsoft beast. Like for example the much ethic division responsible with bribing eastern europe key government officials for contracts, maintaining the flow over decades, and in more recent times, fend off legal actions - with more bribes, of course! Let's just stop talking about ropes and soap in the house of the hanged man. You've been a good yes man combating on behalf of the corporate overlords, but you can't fool everybody. The pitch forks will remain ignited to assure the balance. I don't really need to refute any of your talking head points as it kinda reeks of ms blinkers irreversibly attached. I'm just glad I struck a nerve where it matters: anonymized telemetry, opt-outs and the transition to Edge for anything remotely pesky.

Who the whack-a-mole is Max?! :confused:

Microsoft, release 21H1 faster or there will be riots.

6. wallofasgard

wallofasgard MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    The more telemetries i enable the more discount for me when i buy a license...if only that is possible.

7. mdl052020

mdl052020 MDL Addicted

May 31, 2020
    you are so funny :D

8. alpha2beta

alpha2beta MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2015
    If you truly believe that it's "anonymous and includes no personal identifiable information" you truly are clueless, if its truly "anonymous" then how does Windows know what apps I have installed while using NO Microsoft account on my PC even after reinstalling Windows. To have a feature like that Microsoft HAS to be tracking by DESIGN using a HWID or a Advertiser ID which goes completely against your claim of "anonymous and includes no personal identifiable information". Keep drinking the Kool aid.

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller MDL Spinning Tortoise

Dec 21, 2012
    Actually, that's not funny at all. Reward users for providing full Telemtry data. Let users who don't like it opt out, maybe through a special license.

10. donmiller

donmiller MDL Senior Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Wake up! There's no such thing as privacy anymore.

11. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
    chlynx

LCU = latest cumulative update

KB5000842 for 21H1 (19043.906) worked fine on my 21H1 test PC and does integrate Chromium Edge as Enthousiast said - I can confirm this 100%

about KB5000802 (1904x.867) - that older CU is only okay if not using Dymo/Kyocera/Ricoh printers to print stuff; otherwise .867 crashes into a blue screen when attempting to print something from a Dymo, Kyocera or Ricoh brand printer (I did not encounter any problems with .867 when printing from either an Epson or HP brand printer)

12. BAU

BAU MDL Addicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Just for completeness, the point I was making was a continuation of another discussion. The powershell uninstall snippet referred was this (and this).
    So, with Edge nuked via such snippet in 20H2, upgrading to 21H1 did not reinstall it. Neither updating to .870 and later to .906. Remains to be seen what will happen on official release.

13. SM03

SM03 MDL Expert

Dec 16, 2012
  14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It will have the old edge, after .867 the LCU will install Edge Chromium.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. SM03

SM03 MDL Expert

Dec 16, 2012
    can't remember when & also where, I have last seen a post like this length here in MDL. But nevertheless, I quite enjoyed this kinda discussion, I must say.

16. SM03

SM03 MDL Expert

Dec 16, 2012
    ok, gotcha.

17. SM03

SM03 MDL Expert

Dec 16, 2012
    Not saying anything specifically for MSFT or any other specific ORG, neither arguing over anyone or anything, just sharing my thought for that matter.

Fact is, in present decades where we are standing, no matter what you do, what you use & how you use, privacy is a myth, no one can fully escape/bypass this. Sure, you certainly can minimise it if you're smart enough to do so in a various way like i.e. turning off manually some toggles or more precisely, made a trimmed custom modded OS with minimum things & cutting most of the privacy-related options, but still, there's no absolute measure to avoid this, plus internet, more dangerous than any OS/app/software, you surely can use a VPN, but again, not any foolproof way to live with 100% data security.

The only way is, go back to the 80s 90s old fashioned way & live life without any digitalization & technologies like those days. No computer/smart devices, no internet, & enjoy full privacy.

18. donmiller

donmiller MDL Senior Member

Jun 4, 2016
    Yes. I've heard of it being described as "Living off the grid".

19. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    As I said before, there are power problem after install updates of 20H2. You can search 20H2 power problem in google and see.
    I don't know now about 21H1.

20. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can google for "flat earth" and find "believers" allover the place;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...