DIY: Server 2022 to workstation post install settings

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by damianfox, Nov 15, 2021.

1. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
    I've done this already and it's only a cosmetic fix, helps to get rid of the ugly "Unknown Device" from the Device Manager. But if you check the device details you'll see it's not really installed.

I'm actually starting to think about giving up this project because of the issues like that. Another one is with the ELAN I2C touchpad in the same laptop. There is some solution described here and I will give it a try, perhaps the same will even work for BT PAN device. But it's just slowly starting to annoy me too much.
    I guess desktop users won't have that many issues, as they usually don't have touchpad or Bluetooth adapter. Another thing is the antivirus - it's great I can remove Defender with a few clicks, but at the same time I'm forced to use it as my usual choices (Kaspersky Free and other free AVs, and Kaspersky Internet Security I paid for) don't work on Server.

2. freddie-o

freddie-o MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    True I just applied that because I get bothered when I see an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager.
    Other than that and my bluetooth earbuds not working... no driver issues
    What about Symantec Endpoint Protection it works in Server

3. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    ELAN I2C is easy to fix. I think Bluetooth may be fixed by the same principle as I2C touchpad.

4. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
  5. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
    Yes, that's the reason I mentioned the "Multimedia Device" in Device Manager. But I assume the driver installation part is already known, the AMD Radeon Software installation is the interesting part.

6. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    I think the Multimedia Device is an "AMD Audio CoProcessor". The HDMI audio driver has the inbox high definition audio device by default.

7. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
    #31 pawelm8, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Yes, that sounds like a different issue. For me the actual Bluetooth device driver was installed with no issues. What didn't installed was "Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)" device which is under "Network Adapters" section in Device Manager.
    I've tested it and found that is connects with Logitech MX Anywhere mouse over Bluetooth, but it doesn't connect with an Xbox Series controller. It detects the device, but doesn't pair.
    Then I've connected the same Xbox controller over USB and found there is no driver present in the system. Proper driver is xb1usb.inf and I could download it from Microsoft Catalog, it even installed without any need for modification. But it still didn't paired over Bluetooth.
    My theory is that Xbox controller connected over Bluetooth requires a different driver than when connecting over USB (driver is xb1usb.inf after all) and it's just missing this driver. I will compare it with a Windows 10 machine to see if there is indeed a different driver and if installing it fixes the BT connection with Xbox controller.
    Same may apply to other specific BT devices.
    Edit: Yes, for Bluetooth connection Xbox controller uses a different driver - xinputhid.inf. This one also doesn't require any modification. I've installed it while attempting to pair and then it succeeded.
    The device name in Device Manager or Control Panel\Devices and Printers is Xbox Wireless Controller, but when I open Game Controllers Settings (in Control Panel\Devices and Printers) then it's shown as "6-axis 16-button controller". My guess is that there is more drivers missing to have it recognized fully, but all the functions works.

8. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
  9. kibkalo

kibkalo MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Have you checked packagelist from my Pro? Same folder.
    Compare to your server and send me numbers of packages you miss/need

10. RokkumanX

RokkumanX MDL Member

Apr 8, 2020
    #35 RokkumanX, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    Here is a 13. to my list on page one:

13. Allow system to be shut down without having to log on
    Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> double click Shutdown: Allow system to be shut down without having to log on and set it to Enabled.

It's disabled in Server by default, should be enabled for desktops/workstations

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. reyno12

reyno12 MDL Novice

Dec 28, 2012
    I’m a first-time caller long time listener,
    I followed all suggestions so far but to no avail and couldn't revive Bluetooth in W2k22. Is there no other way to succeed? I hate to use BT transmitters.

12. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
    I don't have that WS2022 installation anymore, so I have installed it again in a VM. It's basically a clean installation + the packages from your link (except Microsoft-OneCore-Hid-Telephony-Package-amd64-10.0.20348.1.cab which fails to install (error: 14081 - the reference assembly could not be found). Also Microsoft-OneCore-Bluetooth-Package-amd64-10.0.20348.1.cab and Microsoft-OneCore-Connectivity-Bluetooth-Package-amd64-10.0.20348.1.cab seems to install fine, but are not listed in the list of installed packages.

ProductName
    -----------
    Microsoft-OneCore-Biometrics-FaceRecognition-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Bluetooth-EnableSwiftPairByDefault-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Bluetooth-Input-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Bluetooth-User-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Bluetooth-WinRT-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-DirectX-Database-FOD-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Multimedia-CastingCommon-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Multimedia-CastingCommon-WOW64-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Multimedia-CastingReceiver-Media-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Multimedia-CastingReceiver-Media-WOW64-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-Multimedia-CastingTransmitter-Media-Package
    Microsoft-OneCore-RasSstp-Api-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-FodMetadata-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Foundation-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-Optional-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-Basic-pl-pl-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-Handwriting-pl-pl-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-OCR-pl-pl-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-TextToSpeech-pl-pl-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-MediaPlayer-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-MSPaint-FoD-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-NetFx3-OnDemand-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Networking-RemoteAccess-PowerShell-Base-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Networking-RemoteAccess-PowerShell-Base-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Notepad-FoD-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-PowerShell-ISE-FOD-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-Server-LanguagePack-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-ServerCore-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-StorageManagement-FoD-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-UserExperience-Desktop-Package
    Microsoft-Windows-WordPad-FoD-Package
    OpenSSH-Client-Package
    Package_for_DotNetRollup
    Package_for_RollupFix
    Package_for_ServicingStack_314

Would you be able to upload all of the packages, at least for a short while? I would download the complete set then to test it more.

13. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
    What exactly doesn't work for you? Are the drivers installed correctly?
    You should be able to at least get the BT running, perhaps with some issues when pairing some specific devices which requires separate drivers.

14. RokkumanX

RokkumanX MDL Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I can't for the love of god change this setting in Windows Server 2022, Turn battery saver on automatically at under Battery settings.

It's always set to Never no matter which percentage I choose, this wasn't the case for when I had Windows 10 on this laptop.

It's kind of annoying, turning on Battery saver works manually but changing this setting don't and my power plan is set to Balanced (recommended)

Well other then that I got everything working.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. pawelm8

pawelm8 MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2021
    #40 pawelm8, Nov 21, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    Perhaps you can find the corresponding policy or registry value and set it there? I have enabled "Fast Startup" this way - by enabling it through registry. GUI option is still locked, but now it's locked and checked (instead of locked and unchecked) and "powercfg /a" shows Fast Startup is on.

For the reference, here are the registry changes I made to enable Fast Startup:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
    "HiberbootEnabled"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power]
    "HiberbootEnabled"=dword:00000001

And hibernation needs to be enabled too with "powercfg /h on" command.