Do we really need anti-virus software??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by jayblok, Dec 13, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    you are completely wrong here... Avast's behavior shield is more than adequate in their free version to detect threats based on process activity and behavior...

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    #62 Josh Cell, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    Well, for low users, I also recommend the COMODO Internet Security Premium ;)

Can block and delete all suspicious files silently, have an excellent firewall and it not works for me, I've an large volume of suspect applications, bricking my system :(

Image (from softpedia)

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    hi Josh,

I installed Comodo on the wife`s laptop a few months back.
    I thought it worked like a dream, but within a week
    she insisted that I uninstall it again. It slowed her machine,
    she said [ it did too, just a little,] and whenever her scanner
    or flashplayer wanted to call home to update, she did not know
    what to do..I installed mse, and have had no complaints ever since..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. perolito

perolito MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2012
    anyone use mvps HOST?

MVPS HOSTS now includes most major parasites, hijackers and unwanted Adware/Spyware programs!

5. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
  6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Slowed?
    Comodo uses almost no resource!
    Either a firewall monitors programs and asks for access or it remains silent.
    Lack of knowledge is the most insecurity.

How should one notice about malware if not prompted by a firewall?

One wants to have security but it's annoying when the firewall pops up a window and asks?
    This simply doesn't fit together.

My idea:
    You should try to explain to your wife what's happening since you are far more familiar with it. (It is basically your job.)

Also simply tick the remember box and the same application never will ask again, except when altered. Comodo always has an explanation for each program that tries to access the internet and gives advice if you can trust it.
    Also you can disable any pop up notice if wanted.
    A better free FW you'll never find!
    MSE sucks since it reports nothing about M$ own services. It allows anything made by M$. The same is their own built-in FW.
    If you want that a PC remains silent and never asks if a program can have access to something then install nothing at all, but make sure you are sitting behind a router.

7. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Yes we need anti-virus, since a lot of people are dumb enough to click a link in a spam mail. :D
    An old mail account of me gets spammed daily from contacts who clicked such links.

8. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Spam is no malware, lol....and we say ignorance is no excuse in law. IMHO AV won't help them either. :D

9. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    imho they should forget about freesoftware, & buy an apple.........:biggrin:
    but i`ve still got my doubts; the issue here is not if they need av;
    the issue is if we need it, and after all these posts i`m still wondering.....

10. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    what you say i sound. of course,
    and i know that too. but yes, the machine IS behind a firewall,
    and yes i did explain, and no, i practically never install anything
    new, she`s got all she needs on that machine, and i could not
    care less about reports to m$, this is a machine with OEM xp..
    but ticking remember is something i prefer to do myself...

11. netwave

netwave MDL Junior Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Has anyone ever had the feeling that some AV programs may actually load viruses onto your computer so you keep subscribing/paying to get them removed?

12. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    True, although some of these links could be a download for a virus. It happened to two people I know who couldn't actually use their computer without having it to crash or totally not responding. Turned out it was a virus.

13. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #73 WIKIMACK, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
    Hello to all.

All routers have a firewall official home is very efficient.

long I discussed with a professional who work in a partnership router in France.

He was adamant about unitilyé to install a firewall in a private (duplication).

For companies, it's different.

In France we have several routers & firewalls all have a performance.

Does it really right, but if the experts do not give the same answer, what should we do?:eek:

Google translate.:eek:

Have nice day.

WIKIMACK.

14. busabos

busabos MDL Novice

Jan 5, 2012
    i think i'll be needing an Antivirus because i'm not the only one who's using the pc.
    my pop just knew how to browse the internet for sports news but doesn't know how the pc works.
    i think if you're just the one who's using your machine and have a lot of knowledge how viruses works then you won't be needing a real-time protection.

busabos

15. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    I think for those who make a lot of downloading or is connected to the web, you must have some protection.
    Be antivirus, firewall, or even use a Linux OS ...

16. WIKIMACK

WIKIMACK MDL Expert

Nov 10, 2011
    #76 WIKIMACK, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    hello,

in my remarks, I did mention that due firewall & other no real-time protection.

It was important that I clarify my earlier post.

Yours.

WIKIMAK.:whistle3: