Do we suspect Win7 will use BIOS slic data?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by teknomedic, Jan 3, 2009.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Shakeyplace,

Personly, I think its your wishful thinking. :)

Microsoft's business is to sell Office and Windows, ideally the newest versions as thats what drives the company forward.

The OEM's are in the business of selling PC's.
    Most don't care which OS it has, (unless their have some sort of deal going on with a particular OS maker) what they care about is how much does it cost and how easy is it to get on the PC.

Neither one cares about what the customer really wants, untill it effects cash flow. e.g. Microsoft has offered a 'Downgrade Soultion' since NT4/W95 but most people only herd about it this last year. When the OEM's noticed people not buying Vista PC's.

As for Virtualisation, XP Mode or Virtual PC is more about Compatability than running multiple OS's. Hence the new versions of Windows have an XP Mode, as it saves Microsoft having to build-in compatability to OS's below Vista.
    I don't believe there will ever be a Vista Mode. Windows 7 and Vista are pretty much the same OS and with Vista having a bad name, It makes more sence to have a Windows7 Mode in any future versions of Windows. :)

2. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007
    I am not so sure, reading the sticky at the top, I believe that what I have been wishiful thinking for... It is becoming the concensus here, just for different reasons. You see, I think MS is leaving it in due to a broader marketing plan or OEM demands, either to allow more virtual machine capabilities for OEM manufacturers or downgrade rights, I think they are thinking MS is just rushing to make a deadline

3. gollum

gollum MDL Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Thanks for pointing this out. I just read the thread. At the time of my previous writing it was indeed speculation and not based on any safe information. As such, it has a right to stand as it is for the time it was written at. Noone really had any idea at that point, so i just said what i believed then.
    For now, there is new information, evidence and ideas popping up and especially our honorable Yen has done a lot of brain squeezing to come across the real deal (and so have others too of course)...
    I for now chose to stick to my hopes that activation will not differ much from the old system and that i will have only little effort with windows 7 :D

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, I just Read that post and It dose seems like it, dosen't it. :)

I don't think will find many OEM PC's that will have a SLP1 though, meaning you'll have to active on-line if your downgrading from Windows 7 to XP Pro.
    I've worked a couple of Avent Vista PC's which won't pre-activate XP due to them not having the SLP string.
    I think we'll see that more often on Windows 7 PC's.

Thats an interesting point about the VM's.
    I wonder if you'll be able to use the SLIC in the BIOS to active a Windows 7/SVR2008 R2 VHD install ?
    If you can it would be great if it was expanded to allow Vista installations too. :cool:

5. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Unless MS persude/force/convince the OEM's to lock down their BIOS's better,
    Yen had a look at a new Acer BIOS for me, but he couldn't get into it properly. :(

Acer could be headng down the route of Dell and Sony, possibly at the request of MS ?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #26 Yen, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...