Do you think a wall on the border with Mexico can stop the immigrants?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Katzenfreund, Jan 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Will the wall be effective against illegal immigrants?

1. Yes, the wall will be largely effective

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. It will only have a small effect not worth the cost

18 vote(s)
    36.0%
  3. No, it will be a monumental failure

17 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Would the term "radical jihadists countries" be a better term, The use of the word "Muslim country" is a broad category and I do not mean to intend any non-violent Muslims. I do not know how to describe these areas in the Middle East where religions clash

Drugs; LSD can be a very dangerous mind altering drug, How would or could that be sold? People with unstable minds take this and freak out....who knows what could possibly happen?
    License for only Sharma's to distribute? That still leaves a black market

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Joe C: This is a problem that we (Americans) face at MDL. Finding the correct way of phrasing something that's a slang term to us
    or a colloquialism. We can easily be misinterpreted in other languages / cultures and appear to be offensive.

I call these 'Jihadists' Religious looneys, because that's what they are.

(There's no possibility of misinterpretation there. :D )

I have friends who are Muslim. They are kind and wise, and we have some of the most wonderful conversations.
    And most Americans feel the same way about Muslims.

Rarely do you see an attack against Muslims by Americans on US soil. Why? Because it goes against the very core of our beliefs as Americans.

Even after 9/11, we didn't go around attacking Muslims; quite the opposite. We protected them here, keeping the stupid ones from lashing out at those who came here to live free of persecution.

And just who do you think these religious loonies are targeting in America? Americans?

Nope.

They're targeting those who want to escape persecution in their own land and want to take part in Western culture.
    It's a demented form of munchausen's disease; they're trying to 'protect' them from the 21st century and western thinking. :eek:

You have the right to choose your own destiny.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    We’re a bit off topic, but The Netherlands that allow soft drugs, claim that they have less of a problem than neighbors like France, who totally ban them.

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    MJ, I live about 1-1/2 hrs from the largest Arab-Muslim population in the entire U.S. (Dearborn, Mi.) and I see Arab Muslim or just Arab (often referred as "Chaldean") decent people all the time, I have no prejudices against anybody, yes it's a slang for people in the U.S. and we do not mean anything derogatory towards Muslims when I say Muslim countries. Other people on this forum would like to paint me as some kinda religious bigot, but that's not true

5. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012

@Joe C: I don't see you as a bigot. Not at all. :)

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Yes that's right. The relation to the topic is the wall, that's also propagated as a solution to resolve the drug problems.
    I cannot disagree with MJ she has posted valid concerns.

@JoeC . They are also valid concerns what you've posted.

Albert Hoffman had to face the same 'issues' LSD my problem child.
    But there were institutions for instance in the Czech Republic , Stanislav Grof....such substances can only make sense under the supervision of professionals. But the laws are responsible that all what have been gained of experiences have been lost again. Research impossible.

It’s not easy. And I agree. The government has the job to protect the naive at first place. Unfortunately prohibition (a wall) is not the same as insight. More has to be done. :)

7. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Why not just use the word "fundamentalist"?

In my view there is absolutely no difference between those you are trying to refer to and
    http://www.upi.com/Archives/2001/06/11/Commentary-McVeigh-as-a-fundamentalist/7471992232000/

Skin color and religion should be left out of the equation, actions should not.

For that matter, Janet Reno's actions at Waco were equally bad.
    If you want to argue "cult" on that issue, I counter with, how long before the Amish are decimated ?

8. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    A wall between Mexico and the USA will only stop the small time smugglers, if even that.
    So, in my mind, "Building a wall" is a metaphoric statement meaning "Strengthen our borders and be more vigorous about policing the illegal alien situation in the USA."

That makes sense to me. Wasting billions of tax dollars on a physical wall is downright stupid, and a terrible waste of money. Congress won't stand for it. Using the latest advances in surveillance technology can thwart crossings. That could possibly include drones.

I think I understand what you mean about drugs like LSD and DMT being used in a controlled environment, possibly to ascertain their psycho theraputic values and exploiting them.

Case and Point: PTSD. There is no defined protocol for dealing with it. Typically, they treat the psychotic co-morbidities associated with it (Paranoia, hearing voices, etc.) as they appear.

But you and I both know that if the Human trial protocols were not in place, many more people could possibly be injured or killed by "supervised" tests not done in a hospital environment.

Even then, it's a risk.

Scientists do it anyway, sometimes with catastrophic results.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Well, the bad news with "radical jihadists countries" is, that they are the basic allies of the US, like Saudi Arabia. Iran f.e. has not entered into a war outside its borders in quite a lot of centuries, actually not until the 1980s, when indeed the americans paid and armed a fellow (called Saddam Hussein) in Iraq, amongs other things with Sarin, a lovely nerve gas, so he could attack Iran.

If, on the other hand you take a little time for studying Saudi history, you will find there is none better at it than they, when it comes to "radical jihadist" movements. Wahhabis are the most radikal fundamentalists, and in that country, an US ally, this is the state religion.
    Their believe is basically that unless you believe in Mohammeds religion and follow all the rules that he gives, (without exception and ALL yout life) you are an unbeliever, a kaffir, and you can be killed without any problem. Believers go to paradies and their virgins, unbelievers will be roasted in hell until eternity. These US friends actually believe all this, while at the same time the family Saud, that owns the country, is the most corrupt government of this planet, which is quite an achievement, given the rest... It is an intersting country and there are several books that will explain the fascinating details, try Robert Lacey, here is a place to begin:

http://www.insidethekingdom.net/

"Lacey's 1981 work The Kingdom and its 2009 follow-up Inside the Kingdom have now both been cited as standard study texts for the diplomatic community working inside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. David Brancaccio said: "In Saudi Arabia, Robert Lacey had the kind of access most journalists only dream of."

Now, none of this would be a problem if the humans of this planet, and first in line as usual the US, would not be so childish as to bring statements like this one: "We (The USA) are at war with terrorism..."
    Happily more and more people understand that the reality is actually the other way around, Americans ARE terrorism for the rest of the world, and so Trumps election, in itself of course a desaster, at least is a little good news, because the rejection of crooks like Hilary means that a majority of voters was fed up with the US state terrorism, called "politics as usual" and its backlash which kills then americans at home. Trump said, he has understood that there is no money to be made with wars.

Lets see if he follows his understanding... Looking at Mad Dog Mattis, one can have doubts...

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Jesus.... Facts, Facts... no one told you, that we live in post-factual times?

I believe Marijuana is harmful and my statement about this has 600.127 likes on facebook, so it is the truth!

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I think I heard somewhere that our govt did use LSD to experiment on unsuspecting military individuals.

12. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Talking about facts, nobody said Marijuana isn't harmful.

Some say Marijuana is less harmful than tobacco. I didn't say that. In fact, I do consider Marijuana harmful, irrespective of Facebook, which by the way is not the ultimate authority on health issues.

But hard drugs are a lot more harmful than Marijuana. And The Netherlands found that by allowing the first in a controlled manner, reduces consumption of the latter. This is a very useful observation. And that's all I said.

13. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #113 JFKI, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    :eek: The entire government ? Now that is some conspiracy.

Seriously though, Yes the CIA did do LSD experiments on unsuspecting individuals. Some military, some not.
    That was a part of Project MKUltra. (Yes that was real and not some delusional conspiracy theorist's ranting.)

I personally find operation paperclip more interesting. You know, the one where WE gave those NAZI scientists asylum in exchange for their continued demented research. Without that program we would not have been able to do the moonshots. :dunno:

Edit to add: Read all about it here (At least the portions which WERE released via FOIA):
    https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/search/site/MKULTRA

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Like on some Batman flick, possibly some government will weaponize LSD and things could get nasty

15. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    #115 JFKI, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    You mean like 1957ish when they were doing their chemical weapons research and distributed the chemicals they were researching by burning it in municipal vehicles throughout New York City and then monitoring emergency room visits?
    ( I think they did it in Detroit and Dallas too, but don't quote me on that. )

Yes, that is also documented on some .gov website, don't have time right now to look up the link.
    There is also a newscast on youtube from the 70's I think when the main stream media got wind of it. 60 minutes maybe ?

Where do you think the ideas for these movie scripts come from ?

16. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
  17. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    So, if those immigrants stay in the same region, they may well become a specimen for such experiments, in preference over native citizens. If you tell them that, they'll stop coming, and you don't need a wall!

18. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @Katzenfreund: I can't honestly say that any of us are immune from experimentation. Preservatives, artificial sweeteners, GMOs, Fluorine in the water.

The list goes on and on.

But these are things that Corporations do. And we're all victims of that.

19. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Absolutely nothing wrong with GMOs, and Fluorine in the water. Fluorine helps prevent tooth decay especially in impoverished nations, and we have been genetically modifying all of our foods for centuries.

20. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Some people believe that Florine is a carcinogen
    http://fluoridealert.org/issues/health/cancer/

Last I heard, GMO's are banned in some European countries, Maybe they know something the U.S. govt won't tell us